Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's VI (Value Innovation) Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 06:03 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota's VI (Value Innovation) Plan

http://www.wheels.ca/article/47593

Toyota steps up cost-cutting

Chang and Ran Kim and Nobuhiro Kubo
Reuters news Agency

Dec 11, 2007

TOYOTA CITY, Japan – Toyota Motor Corp expects to accelerate its cost-cutting efforts next year to save more than 300 billion yen ($2.7 billion (U.S.)) annually, its president said on Tuesday, as the world's biggest carmaker seeks to offset rising commodity and development costs.

"We would expect to exceed what we've done under the previous plan," Katsuaki Watanabe told Reuters in an interview at the company's headquarters in Toyota City.

That amount should grow every year along with rising sales, he said, as cost reductions would be made on a per-vehicle basis.

Since 2005, Toyota has been working on a new cost-saving strategy dubbed "VI" for Value Innovation, which seeks to lump some of the tens of thousands of components in a car into modules and systems. The first car to incorporate the new scheme, a remodelled Crown sedan, is due out early next year.

"I believe the strategy is basically proceeding as planned," Watanabe said.

Toyota has given scant details on the programme's target, saying only that it expected the impact to be faster and bigger than a previous plan to cut the price of individual parts.

That plan, called CCC21 (Construction of Cost Competitiveness in the 21st Century) and led by Watanabe as purchasing chief, shaved 1 trillion yen ($9 billion) off costs over five years, and executives have said it had the capacity to eliminate 300 billion yen in costs every year. That is equivalent to around 13 per cent of Toyota's operating profit of 2.24 trillion yen last year.

The ability to reduce costs has been Toyota's forte, allowing it to pour money back into developing new models and attract drivers around the world. Toyota began selling the Prius, the world's first gasoline-electric hybrid car, 10 years ago and is still one of just a handful of carmakers to mass-produce the gas-sipping vehicles.

"The fact that they're planning to build on the CCC21 plan is remarkable, and attests to Toyota's unique strength as a high-volume carmaker and its group companies' solidarity," UBS Securities auto analyst Tatsuo Yoshida said.

"It'll give them a free hand to use their resources flexibly, including securing even more customers by building more attractive features into their cars," he said.

Slashing production costs is even more important as commodity prices keep climbing, environmental and safety standards rise and consumers migrate towards smaller and lower-margin compact cars to get better mileage.

At the same time, Toyota has promised to reach and sustain a 10 per cent operating profit margin. Already its margin is the highest in the sector, at 9.3 per cent in the year to March 2007.

Watanabe said reaching the 10 per cent margin was "crucial" to be able to invest to the tune of 1.5 trillion yen a year each on facilities and R&D to develop safer and more environmentally friendly cars.

The VI project will be incorporated into each new model that Toyota rolls out from early next year, meaning the effect will grow from year to year, Watanabe said.

"The full impact will be seen probably around 2010," he said, adding that Toyota would step up its cooperation with North American and European suppliers to expand the cost-cutting activities beyond Japan.

Watanabe, known in the company for his "big-picture" vision, is looking beyond the ambitious VI project.

By 2010, the 65-year-old executive said, Toyota will likely have crafted a new scheme to replace the VI plan.

"By then we'd be looking at the car's design as a whole, for example by using lightweight materials," he said.

"I don't want to divulge too much, because this is really a corporate secret," he said, but added that there was a hint in the 1/X concept car shown at the Tokyo Motor Show which weighs just 420 kg – one-third of the Prius, with twice its fuel efficiency.

Toyota is the world's most valuable automaker, with a market capitalisation of more than $200 billion. Its revenue reached $215 billion last business year as sales grew in North America, Europe and China, although Toyota is conspicuously behind in the budding Indian market.

Toyota has forecast sales of 9.34 million vehicles this year, including units Daihatsu Motor Co and Hino Motors Ltd, likely toppling General Motors Corp as the world's top seller of automobiles. Excluding GM's minority-held Chinese joint venture, Toyota ranked first in 2006.

By 2009, Toyota aims to expand sales to 10.4 million a year.
Old 02-18-08, 07:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Very interesting article. So the redesigned Crown is the first-model to incorporate the new VI cost-cutting. The interior on the new Crown looks great so it looks like Toyota is not cost cutting at the expense of quality. Great to see that.

And according to the article, Toyota plans to spend 13.8 Billion a year on facilities and R&D.

It's amazing how efficient Toyota is and how Toyota continues to improve it's efficiency and cost-effectiveness in every way possible.

It's also great to see that Toyota is not becoming complacent.
Old 02-18-08, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

What this means to you - Toyota is on a march to imitate General Motors interiors of the 80s. Toyota, already with the world's most boring car line-up (no sporty cars at all in the U.S.) has made its interiors worse and worse in the past 5 years. Not only that, quality is down, with more squeaks, creaks, transmission and other problems.

Toyota is doing exactly what GM did - relying on its reputation while expanding at a break neck pace. It will pay a price. Not as high as GM because it doesn't have the giant labor problem GM did, but watch for Hyundai, Honda, GM, and new Chinese and Indian brands to give Toyota major grief.
Old 02-19-08, 09:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What this means to you - Toyota is on a march to imitate General Motors interiors of the 80s. Toyota, already with the world's most boring car line-up (no sporty cars at all in the U.S.) has made its interiors worse and worse in the past 5 years. Not only that, quality is down, with more squeaks, creaks, transmission and other problems.

Toyota is doing exactly what GM did - relying on its reputation while expanding at a break neck pace. It will pay a price. Not as high as GM because it doesn't have the giant labor problem GM did, but watch for Hyundai, Honda, GM, and new Chinese and Indian brands to give Toyota major grief.

Are you sure you actually read the article? The first vehicle under this new plan is the redesigned Crown and I don't really see any cost-cutting on that interior. The new Crown interior looks really good, better than the old one in fact.

Plus there have been reviews how the Sequoia's interior is improved over the Tundra, and the new Corolla and new Highlander both have improved interiors compared to the Camry. The current Camry was a "low point" in terms of Toyota interiors and all future Toyota vehicles are going to have better interiors and Toyota will once again become a class leader with regards to interiors. You certainly don't have to take my word for it; just wait and see how future Toyota interiors will be.

Maybe you also forgot how Toyota pledged to improve quality?

Sorry, I don't see Toyota repeating GM's mistakes at all. Toyota has a completely different corporate culture, and Toyota is paranoid of becoming complacent, totally opposite mindset compared to GM.
Old 02-19-08, 10:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the cost-cutting comes from further streamlining the business and manufacturing process and not from switching to cheaper materials, I'm all for it.
Old 02-19-08, 03:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
As long as the cost-cutting comes from further streamlining the business and manufacturing process and not from switching to cheaper materials, I'm all for it.
That's exactly what it seems to be, further streamlining of the business and manufacturing process. The article also states that Toyota will work closer than ever with suppliers to help them streamline their operations. The article also mentions these savings will directly help Toyota increase R&D spending and spending on new facilities.

For example, a few years ago Toyota introduced a new manufacturing method for engines which dramatically reduced the cost of building an engine AND simultaneously allowed for fewer defective engines. That was cost-cutting on a significant scale that led to improved quality at the same time.

Toyota isn't looking to cut costs on interiors, because they know that's a bad thing. Toyota is talking a much broader approach, cutting costs on a significant scale with new production methods and cheaper, more streamlined and more flexible factories.

I expect that Toyota's cost-cutting efforts under this VI plan won't impact quality, reliability, or interiors.
Old 02-19-08, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Are you sure you actually read the article?
Yes, thank you.

The first vehicle under this new plan is the redesigned Crown and I don't really see any cost-cutting on that interior. The new Crown interior looks really good, better than the old one in fact.
I think the new interior looks cheap, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Plus there have been reviews how the Sequoia's interior is improved over the Tundra, and the new Corolla and new Highlander both have improved interiors compared to the Camry.
Given the Tundra and Camry interiors this is hardly much of an achievement.

The current Camry was a "low point" in terms of Toyota interiors
I take it that's your opinion - I don't think Toyota has conceded this, and why should they, the Camry still sells like hot cakes.

and all future Toyota vehicles are going to have better interiors and Toyota will once again become a class leader with regards to interiors.
Again I take it that's your opinion and hope - we'll see.

You certainly don't have to take my word for it; just wait and see how future Toyota interiors will be.
OK, keeper of the flame of eternal hope.

Maybe you also forgot how Toyota pledged to improve quality?
Talk is cheap. But don't get me wrong - I think Toyota is still an awesome company. But I've seen many companies state grand goals only to come up far short. We're talking about performing a major overall of an engine on a fast moving train - it's really hard to pull off.

... Toyota is paranoid of becoming complacent, totally opposite mindset compared to GM.
I agree with that, and hope they're not only paranoid, but they put the people and processes with enough clout to change things - it's really hard.
Old 02-19-08, 07:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

While Toyota's stated goals might seem unattainable or they might seem doubtful, Toyota has a very solid and consistent history of delivering on their promises and achieving their goals.

When Toyota introduced a new production method for engines, even Toyota's own engine plant workers were doubtful and laughed about Toyota's claims, that is until Toyota put the new system in place and workers saw first-hand that it was a big step forward.

If there is one company that can deliver on grand goals, it's Toyota. Their history and reputation is proof of it.
Old 02-19-08, 11:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cost cutting is simply reducing the number of parts. Isn't that what all companies do? (Remember how VW had the Golf, Beetle, Jetta and Passat all built on one platform at one point?).

Could be a good thing cause then your Corolla will have the same wiper stalk as the GS or LS lol. (unlikely but you know what I mean).

Currently, the Prius, Corolla and Camry have different stalks! I wonder how many different ones there are on the Lexus models.
Old 02-20-08, 08:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The cost cutting is simply reducing the number of parts. Isn't that what all companies do? (Remember how VW had the Golf, Beetle, Jetta and Passat all built on one platform at one point?).

Could be a good thing cause then your Corolla will have the same wiper stalk as the GS or LS lol. (unlikely but you know what I mean).

Currently, the Prius, Corolla and Camry have different stalks! I wonder how many different ones there are on the Lexus models.
The common belief is that cost-cutting is simply cutting the number of parts, but what Toyota is doing is much more than that. They are cutting costs at a very broad level, all the way up to how they build engines, how they build and operate their factories, and how they manufacture car bodies. Of course, cutting the number of parts certainly plays a part too.

For example, in the redesigned Crown Toyota cut the number of main ECUs from 60 down to only 4.
Old 02-20-08, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

For example, in the redesigned Crown Toyota cut the number of main ECUs from 60 down to only 4.
That's good for production and reliability, but I bet those 4 ECUs aren't cheap and if one breaks or is broken in an accident, it's gonna be pricey...
Old 02-20-08, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Could mean the GS/LS get the Corolla stalk too.
Old 02-20-08, 11:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's good for production and reliability, but I bet those 4 ECUs aren't cheap and if one breaks or is broken in an accident, it's gonna be pricey...
How often do ECUs break thought, apart from an accident? It's a pretty rare thing I would say. If you look purely at material costs, I think replacing one of these would be cheaper than say replacing a couple or a dozen of the old ECUs.

The way I see it is the huge number of ECUs before meant they were all quite specialized and economies of scale would not help a great deal in reducing the costs. With these new ECUs not only is the amount of raw material reduced, lowering costs, but these new ECUs are likely more multi-purpose and likely there is greater potential in seeing the cost of them lower through better economies of scale. The electrical systems on the new Crown were also simplified compared to the previous generation.

Also consider it's likely to require less time and labour to install four ECUs compared to the 60 that were on the previous generation.
Old 02-20-08, 11:36 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of what Watanabe needs to include in his "big picture" approach is the BIG QUALIY PROBLEM involving numerous Toyota and Lexus models and use any savings and some current cash available to rapidly address them.

This is news the competition drools over IMO.
Old 02-20-08, 06:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could mean the GS/LS get the Corolla stalk too.
True but it's unlikely.

I mean our 2002 Camry XLE had 1995 LS interior door handles and keyless remote fob. I know cause I have a 1995 LS brochure and it's exactly the same. Don't know about the stalks though haha.

The common belief is that cost-cutting is simply cutting the number of parts, but what Toyota is doing is much more than that. They are cutting costs at a very broad level, all the way up to how they build engines, how they build and operate their factories, and how they manufacture car bodies. Of course, cutting the number of parts certainly plays a part too.

True but I was pointing out the people above that cost cutting doesn't mean cheaper materials. It could be reducing part numbers. And of course you've taken it further in your post. It's more than just part count reduction.

Quick Reply: Toyota's VI (Value Innovation) Plan