Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Smart-for-Two

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08 | 08:19 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

wha!? the new version's premium fuel!? I've driven the old one for a week and it only costed me $15 after I floor it and driven it everywhere!
Old 02-20-08 | 08:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Great review, as usual. But I've been around long enough to know in my gut this car will never make any inroads in the US. The market for it is razor thin and will be supplied quickly. After a couple of years this will be pulled from the market as another example of trying to market a car in the US that Americans don't understand and hence, don't want.
Old 02-20-08 | 08:56 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Great review, as usual. But I've been around long enough to know in my gut this car will never make any inroads in the US. The market for it is razor thin and will be supplied quickly. After a couple of years this will be pulled from the market as another example of trying to market a car in the US that Americans don't understand and hence, don't want.
It's not about not understanding the car, it's the fact that the car doesn't make sense (like MMarshall said). There is no reason to pay $16k for a car that can't do anything well, and doesn't get much better mileage than any number of much more capable cars

If this thing was $9000 and got 50mpg then maybe it would make a little more sense
Old 02-20-08 | 10:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cliffud
It's a fun car for small people but this is like "mini cooper" small and I'm not so sure I trust the engineers on their strategy for safety. I picked up a catalog and they openly claim that in a side impact the opposing vehicle will "almost always" hit the wheels of the fortwo and the wheels are positioned in such a way that they will take a majority of the force in a crash.

Another issue I noticed was the convertible version has a pane of glass that juts up on the back half of the door and if you're not careful you can faceplant the glass when getting out and closing the door at the same time.

It's not mini cooper small, it's mini mini mini cooper small .

Yeah same as the coupe version. That bit of glass doesn't roll down.

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
wha!? the new version's premium fuel!? I've driven the old one for a week and it only costed me $15 after I floor it and driven it everywhere!
The old run ran on diesel. (or at least the ones sold in Canada).

The new one with premium fuel cost less to fill up than a Yaris if they travel the same distance on a tank (using Canadian fuel prices).

Originally Posted by thetopdog
It's not about not understanding the car, it's the fact that the car doesn't make sense (like MMarshall said). There is no reason to pay $16k for a car that can't do anything well, and doesn't get much better mileage than any number of much more capable cars

If this thing was $9000 and got 50mpg then maybe it would make a little more sense
Yeah most people equate size with mpg. The smaller the car, the higher the mpg. Problem is, there's a lotta stuff on this car such as airbags, sensors and wires for all the electronic stuff etc etc that lower mpg.

Strip it of all its stuff and it'll probably hit 60mpg but not without a higher chance of rolling over (it's ok as it is. Corner hard and it won't roll. Take a look at Motorweek's review when they put it through the slalom. You can see it on Youtube).

In Canada, it gets close to 50mpg (4.8L/100km or 49mpg) on the highway
Old 02-21-08 | 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I didn't see it marked on the gas cap, but the literature and specs with it clearly say premium.
Old 02-21-08 | 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sirCharles
such a novelty car...get it to showoff, but not daily driver.
It should have been all hybrid. (plug-in), then it would sell
This car is so small, though, that there isn't much space for a hybrid battery pack.
Old 02-21-08 | 10:09 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This car is so small, though, that there isn't much space for a hybrid battery pack.
They do have an mhd version though.. basically a stop/start system which boosts mileage quite a bit (kinda surprising eh?). Imagine if all cars just had that stop/start feature.
Old 02-21-08 | 06:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirCharles
such a novelty car...get it to showoff, but not daily driver.
It should have been all hybrid. (plug-in), then it would sell
or at least have a diesel option for much better MPG.

BTW -- no mention of MPG in your test drive which is one of the most important features of this car....how long did you test drive it?

I know the EPA MPG says 40mpg....but I have a 2000 Honda Insight that i have averaged 72.1 mpg over 13000 miles...new EPA ratings says its should get only 53mpg.

1 more thing................2008 Kia Rio's are advertised every week for $7900 in Houston!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 02-21-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-21-08 | 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
or at least have a diesel option for much better MPG.

BTW -- no mention of MPG in your test drive which is one of the most important features of this car....how long did you test drive it?
My reviews, more often than not done on request, are sample reviews of (usually) new cars on lots, though sometimes from other sources as well........rental cars, cars that friends, family and neighbors have bought (I shop with a lot of people who come to me for advice). Most of the time, I don't have them long enough for a practical mileage check....when I do, I note it.
Old 02-21-08 | 07:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My reviews, more often than not done on request, are sample reviews of (usually) new cars on lots, though sometimes from other sources as well........rental cars, cars that friends, family and neighbors have bought (I shop with a lot of people who come to me for advice). Most of the time, I don't have them long enough for a practical mileage check....when I do, I note it.
I understand that...............but MPG is one of the main points of this car...but you take time mention its not good in the 'twisties'? I think that's pretty much a given
Old 02-21-08 | 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I understand that...............but MPG is one of the main points of this car...but you take time mention its not good in the 'twisties'? I think that's pretty much a given
Of course I mention its handling on twisty roads. So has every publication that has reviewed it. And, of course, you are correct that people buy a car like this mainly for manuverability and low operating cost. But I usually don't put enough miles on for a major mileage check....and it would be pointless anyway, because many of the cars I drive are brand-new, unbroken-in, and are not yet getting the mileage they will be getting later on. I also don't redline the engine, which, of course, also affects mileage.

The EPA's figures are now more accurate they were in the past....they approxomate real-world conditions now. And, in the specific case of the Smart, the fact that it burns premium gas effectively adds to its operating costs because you are using fuel that is about 10% or so more expensive than regular to start with.
Old 02-21-08 | 09:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Mike, do you know any information about costs of maintenance and insurance for this car?

Is it really that low, or does it have a lot of maintenance issues that may cost more than its closest competition such as the Yaris or Fit?
Old 02-22-08 | 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, do you know any information about costs of maintenance and insurance for this car?

Is it really that low, or does it have a lot of maintenance issues that may cost more than its closest competition such as the Yaris or Fit?
Don't have specifics, but considering that it is a Mercedes product, Mercedes parts and service are traditionally expensive. However, the 3-cylinder engine is extremely small, and of course doesn't hold much oil.

Insurance will likely depend on its actual performance in crashes, whether the insurance companies actually believe the company claims of the rigid safety cell, and of course, how much the car actually ends up costing the insurance companies in payouts. In some ways, it's still too early to tell.
Old 02-22-08 | 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Nice review as always mmarshall

I find it an oxymoron for whoever buys this-no offense

I can barely feel safe in a corolla let alone in this death trap

Until idiots out there can drive competently while applying makeup, texting, fumbling on the phone, petite little ladies driving H2, no way am I touching that on a public road

Life insurance is mandatory
Old 02-22-08 | 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

=GS3Tek;3299657]Nice review as always mmarshall
Thanks.

I find it an oxymoron for whoever buys this-no offense

I can barely feel safe in a corolla let alone in this death trap

Until idiots out there can drive competently while applying makeup, texting, fumbling on the phone, petite little ladies driving H2, no way am I touching that on a public road

Life insurance is mandatory
Doesn't matter much anyway. I agree you will probably not be scooting around in one. There are only a limited number coming in......and a long waiting list.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Smart-for-Two