Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Smart-for-Two

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 01:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

better a smart than an *&^!@#% H3
Old 02-22-08, 03:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
BTW -- no mention of MPG in your test drive which is one of the most important features of this car....how long did you test drive it?
I understand that...............but MPG is one of the main points of this car...but you take time mention its not good in the 'twisties'? I think that's pretty much a given
Hey hey... please show some respect and gratitude for mmarshall who does a wonderful thing testing these cars and writing reviews. I understand your points, but please make them more tactfully and respectfully or don't say anything.

If you think you can do a better review, then go do one.
Old 02-22-08, 05:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, do you know any information about costs of maintenance and insurance for this car?

Is it really that low, or does it have a lot of maintenance issues that may cost more than its closest competition such as the Yaris or Fit?
The service interval is every 15,000kms (around 10,000 miles for you guys) cause it uses synthetic from the start.

Compare that to the Yaris at every 5,000 miles. So you go in twice as often with a Yaris. The cost of the smart is more than two Yaris maintenance service of course but you are pampered (valet parking, a nice car wash, thank you letter) etc etc. Typical MB service.

Over the course of 5 years, I calculated that it would be only slightly more than a Yaris to service so yes it costs more but not by a lot.

It's cheaper (in Canada) to refuel a smart than a Yaris (assuming they travel the same distance). I used 550km of city driving using Transport Canada's city rating for both and I used $1.049/litre for regular and $1.169/litre for premium in my calculations. The smart is cheaper to refuel because of the smaller gas tank so you're gaining there. I did that calculation last month. Now regular fuel is $1.189/litre . Who the hell knows how much premium costs .

I have no idea how much insurance costs. Too many variables (age, driving record, car type.. will they classify is as a coupe or a hatchback?, crash ratings, theft etc)
Old 02-22-08, 06:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hey hey... please show some respect and gratitude for mmarshall who does a wonderful thing testing these cars and writing reviews. I understand your points, but please make them more tactfully and respectfully or don't say anything.

If you think you can do a better review, then go do one.
I very much respect mmarshall's reviews and have personally asked for his advise before and thanked him before; but with a niche car like this [that most here are dissing as a 'death trap', etc, etc]....I'd like to know real world MPG numbers....as I stated, I feel the new EPA MPG numbers for 2008 are now under estimated while before over estimated. So when driving the car for only 5 mins we're kind of missing out on one of the key benefits the car.

anyway -- keep up the good work Mike!
Old 02-23-08, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

I very much respect mmarshall's reviews and have personally asked for his advise before and thanked him before; but with a niche car like this [that most here are dissing as a 'death trap', etc, etc]....I'd like to know real world MPG numbers....as I stated, I feel the new EPA MPG numbers for 2008 are now under estimated while before over estimated. So when driving the car for only 5 mins we're kind of missing out on one of the key benefits the car.

anyway -- keep up the good work Mike!
Thanks. Again, I understand the point you were making, but I just think it came across as a bit abrasive and ungrateful, but anyway, 'nuff said.

As for MPG, that's obviously not something determined during a short test drive, so maybe you were wanting mmarshall to post the factory 'specification' for this? mmarshall doesn't provide complete specs for cars, it's more about his impressions from seeing and driving a vehicle, which is great. For info like MPG I'm sure you can look it up.

Actually, I just did, took about 10 seconds.

33/41 (EPA 2008)
http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-te...fications.aspx
Old 05-25-08, 04:09 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good friend just bought one of these for his wife who commutes about 25 miles/day on freeways and surface streets. He promises to report back in a week or so, but in two days of ownership he pretty well echoes Mike's evaluation. They have a Town Car for long trips or serious hauling, but the Smart looks like it might just fit the wife's needs: single commute, no cargo. No real-world mileage yet, still working on the first tank.

Interior has excellent head and footroom - it's a bit narrow, as expected, but not critically so. My friend who is about my size - 6'4", 300 lbs+ fits fine - in fact both of us fit without much elbowing one another - although I imagine that together we SERIOUSLY over-gross the payload rating.

One thing he says you have to get used to: the crowds it draws. People even walk over to you at traffic lights to ask about it. Most popular question? How many MPG?, How much power? ("How many squirrels ya got under there?") Amazing amount of room for two passengers, but that's it. Fit and finish is surprisingly good and quality of materials excellent for a econobox.

Useless features: Tach and clock (tach is immaterial with a 75hp motor and timing acceleration requires a calendar). Nice interior could only be improved with top of the line telematics: a good sound system (available), GPS (see your local Best Buy), or a MS Sync system similar to Ford's.

Hint: the "passion" without options is the ticket. For just a tick over $13K, if you need a dedicated commuter car, it might be worth a look.
Old 05-25-08, 04:19 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for ny, i think i would much rather have a civic coupe. it has more room, is probably safer and is probably more comfortable.
Old 05-26-08, 06:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A good friend just bought one of these for his wife who commutes about 25 miles/day on freeways and surface streets. He promises to report back in a week or so, but in two days of ownership he pretty well echoes Mike's evaluation. They have a Town Car for long trips or serious hauling, but the Smart looks like it might just fit the wife's needs: single commute, no cargo. No real-world mileage yet, still working on the first tank.

Interior has excellent head and footroom - it's a bit narrow, as expected, but not critically so. My friend who is about my size - 6'4", 300 lbs+ fits fine - in fact both of us fit without much elbowing one another - although I imagine that together we SERIOUSLY over-gross the payload rating.

One thing he says you have to get used to: the crowds it draws. People even walk over to you at traffic lights to ask about it. Most popular question? How many MPG?, How much power? ("How many squirrels ya got under there?") Amazing amount of room for two passengers, but that's it. Fit and finish is surprisingly good and quality of materials excellent for a econobox.

Useless features: Tach and clock (tach is immaterial with a 75hp motor and timing acceleration requires a calendar). Nice interior could only be improved with top of the line telematics: a good sound system (available), GPS (see your local Best Buy), or a MS Sync system similar to Ford's.

Hint: the "passion" without options is the ticket. For just a tick over $13K, if you need a dedicated commuter car, it might be worth a look.
5.74L/100km (41mpg) for the second tank (i.e. not the first dealer tank). Mixed city and highway driving.
Old 05-26-08, 07:14 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only purpose this serves is if you live in a big city and parallel parking is an issue then u can just back it perpendicular to the curve haha.
Old 05-26-08, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
5.74L/100km (41mpg) for the second tank (i.e. not the first dealer tank). Mixed city and highway driving.
Don't forget, guys....this little puppy takes premium gas. That alone cuts into some of its nice high gas mileage and cheap operating costs. And the warranty is only 2/24.
Old 05-26-08, 09:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, guys....this little puppy takes premium gas. That alone cuts into some of its nice high gas mileage and cheap operating costs. And the warranty is only 2/24.
In Canada, premium is 12¢ more per litre. It's cheaper to refuel than a Yaris if they cover the same city distance (550km). 5.74 is already better than the Yaris. Of course ideally, I'd rather have my Prius or a TCH.

My warranty is 4/80,000km lol. the same as any other Mercedes. I have heard about your 2/24 and it's rather disappointing to be honest.
Old 05-26-08, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
In Canada, premium is 12¢ more per litre. It's cheaper to refuel than a Yaris if they cover the same city distance (550km). 5.74 is already better than the Yaris. Of course ideally, I'd rather have my Prius or a TCH.

My warranty is 4/80,000km lol. the same as any other Mercedes. I have heard about your 2/24 and it's rather disappointing to be honest.
Perhaps (?) the 2/24 warranty in the American market is because the car is not imported here directly by Mercedes itself, but by Penske automotive....though Smart dealerships are located right next to Mercedes ones.
Old 05-26-08, 09:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps (?) the 2/24 warranty in the American market is because the car is not imported here directly by Mercedes itself, but by Penske automotive....though Smart dealerships are located right next to Mercedes ones.
You're most likely correct but you guys do benefit from a lower price (even if we add options to bring it up to Canadian spec)
Old 07-10-09, 02:52 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why we are getting gasoline Smart cars here now instead of the diesel ones we had before. Now they use the same amount of fuel as a Camry hybrid basically...they both get 33 in the city and the smart is a bit better on highway (there is a 2 mpg difference combined).
At least the Camry is a car, the Smart is just a shell with seats and wheels. Not to mention the Prius...which blows it out of the water in terms of everything.
Old 07-11-09, 07:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just about the time I got comfortable on a short trip with my friend in his smart, he told me to turn around and look behind me. I must have jumped a foot because he roared with laughter as I discovered the back window was about a foot from the end of my nose. Now I've had a couple of old Chevy pickups from the '50's where you didn't sit much closer to that back window. I wonder if they will offer blinds and a gun rack for the smart? Gonna have to be a carbine or a pistol if it's gonna fit.

Quick Reply: Review: 2008 Smart-for-Two