Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's wrong with the new Lexus 'H' ads

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 09:48 AM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What's wrong with the new Lexus 'H' ads

A little critizism and rating of the Lexus 'H' ad:

Ad Report Card
Old 02-20-08, 10:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ive seen the billboards all over Philly. All 3 models lined up in a row with a "h" shadow over it. Never seen this commercial before. I kinda like it.
Old 02-20-08, 10:55 AM
LexFather

I gotta agree some with the article. The Lexus "h" ads for the most part leave no impressions. I rarely get asked questions about "h" cars from Lexus.

To the public, hybrid=Prius. Period.

Lexus ads to me the last few years have been wishy washy, where before, they were ALL home runs.

Old 02-20-08, 10:57 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i like the pursuit of perfection ads better than the 'h" ones, but i still like them nonetheless
Old 02-20-08, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i think they are creative. my all time favorite lexus commercial is the GS moments one. wow

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXmcpHgKqn4

wow i just watched it again. i get goosebumps. its so cool, thoughful, and classy...so lexus

Last edited by RXSF; 02-20-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 11:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the "h" commercials: you know they're hybrids, but you have no clue on anything else about it.

No info regarding MPG, horsepower, technology, difference between non-hybrid counterparts beyond the engines-- you can't live on a hybrid badge alone. Lexus hybrids need to stand out better; even the Camry hybrid has had a better time distinguishing itself from the regular Camry.
Old 02-20-08, 11:47 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

No info regarding MPG, horsepower, technology, difference between non-hybrid counterparts -- you can't live on a hybrid badge alone.
the article stated why kind of. there are three steps in this avertising scheme. the first step (and i remember these commercials) was just showing the H and not even mentioning lexus at all. now, in stage two, the lexus cars actually show up, and well, we have to wait for the third step.

the article also states that lexus really just wants to associate itself with the blue letter H, which most people will infer from now on stands for hybrid. the idea is to get you interested, then its your job to go online or your dealership to check it out where they can sucker the weak ones into buying a car.

p.s. they might not want to mention mpg
Old 02-20-08, 12:54 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think they are creative. my all time favorite lexus commercial is the GS moments one. wow

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXmcpHgKqn4

wow i just watched it again. i get goosebumps. its so cool, thoughful, and classy...so lexus
I totally agree with you. I really love that "Moments" commercial and making sure you're squeezing all you can outta every last single one of them...pursue the moment...
Old 02-20-08, 12:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i like the lexus suv's where they are driving in the snow looks like fun but on the other hand, porsche has the best commercials ever, even though they make a new one like every 2 years cause their cars never change
Old 02-20-08, 06:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
i like the lexus suv's where they are driving in the snow looks like fun but on the other hand, porsche has the best commercials ever, even though they make a new one like every 2 years cause their cars never change
Try every 8 years :P.
Old 02-23-08, 12:11 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i love that LS commercial with that piano music...gives me shivers every time i see it
Old 02-23-08, 04:12 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The problem with the "h" commercials: you know they're hybrids, but you have no clue on anything else about it.

No info regarding MPG, horsepower, technology, difference between non-hybrid counterparts beyond the engines-- you can't live on a hybrid badge alone. Lexus hybrids need to stand out better; even the Camry hybrid has had a better time distinguishing itself from the regular Camry.
I disagree simply on the basis that people who buy a luxury hybrid like a Lexus h generally don't care about mpg, hp, or technology. Every person I know who has bought a Lexus h (ok, so I have a small sample of just 3 people, but I'm also glad it's that low) did it to be different or appear socially conscious. It's silly if not deserving of ridicule, really.
Old 02-23-08, 09:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my favorite so far is the one with GS doing donuts.
Old 02-23-08, 10:16 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I love how the that GS ad was a slap back to the Audi ad about self parking!

It's always great when two companies take these sly stabs at each other because it's fun for us to watch.

I gotta agree on the h ad - it's boring.
Old 02-24-08, 09:16 AM
Nas
Driver

I really like the new H ads. I think the commercials are great and have a lot of thought put into them. Very clever. Anyone have a link to a bunch of them? I can't find the latest online, which is where 'h' is missing

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the new Lexus 'H' ads