Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Don't Mind Trucks, It's the Dumptrucks I Can't Stand

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 02:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Don't Mind Trucks, It's the Dumptrucks I Can't Stand

I'm not intimidated on the road by any truck unless the driver accidentally drifts in my lane which everyone does here and there. Dumptrucks carrying a load are a different story though. I refuse to drive next to them and especially behind them because most of the dumptrucks have chips and chunks flying onto the road and on your car. It was really bad today when a dumptruck that was four cars ahead in the lane next to me had it's door open up in the rear and dirt started pouring out on the road and on cars. I ended up swerving to the side to avoid other cars and of course the dirt and rocks coming from the truck. My car ended up on slant because of the slope on the grassy shoulder but it was okay. Other drivers had dirt on the front of their cars. Even when the dumptruck pulled over and stopped, it still had dirt falling out from the back.
Old 02-20-08, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Covered-load laws, in the states that have them, help this problem to some extent, but that doesn't stop what is thrown up by those big tires or, in the case you saw, what falls out an unsecure tailgate. That's why I stay off of high-speed roads as much as possible...it avoids a lot of nicks, chips, and glass damage.
Old 02-20-08, 06:46 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i know wat u mean, i got no problem driving next to them, its behind them that always gets me a new scratch or nick.
Old 02-20-08, 07:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
yea i know wat u mean, i got no problem driving next to them, its behind them that always gets me a new scratch or nick.
I65 is the rock city of roads....i installed a clear bra and arounf the edges I have chips. I recently went redneck and masked off the front end of the car each time I drive up it. Works like a charm
Old 02-20-08, 07:52 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont feel bad fellas. I am a trucker (long distance) and these guys also pose the same problem for us as well. Most states do have the covered load laws, but as Marshall stated, the ones whom have the unsecured tailgate are the worse. Glad you were not hurt. Next time, grab any info about the truck that you can and not only contact the company letting them know that the truck is empty but his tailgate is unsecured causing loose debris to fall out, but contact ocal law enforement as well.
Old 02-21-08, 11:33 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Covered-load laws, in the states that have them, help this problem to some extent, but that doesn't stop what is thrown up by those big tires or, in the case you saw, what falls out an unsecure tailgate. That's why I stay off of high-speed roads as much as possible...it avoids a lot of nicks, chips, and glass damage.
It's kind of tough for me to avoid the highway. I try to stay at least two lanes away from them when I see one up ahead.

Originally Posted by trukn1
Dont feel bad fellas. I am a trucker (long distance) and these guys also pose the same problem for us as well. Most states do have the covered load laws, but as Marshall stated, the ones whom have the unsecured tailgate are the worse. Glad you were not hurt. Next time, grab any info about the truck that you can and not only contact the company letting them know that the truck is empty but his tailgate is unsecured causing loose debris to fall out, but contact ocal law enforement as well.
I never expect for the tailgate to open on one of those guys. That incident was a first for me. Since I didn't have any sort of nicks or scratches, I didn't feel the need to stay and grab info about the truck and it's company. As big as the 18-wheelers are, I have no problem driving along side one of them rather then a dumptruck in front or the side of me.
Old 02-21-08, 04:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i cant stand bus's or rv's either, i know that no debris comes out, but honestly, THEY ARE SUCH A PAIN!!! lol