Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My problems with X5 and the dealer (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 03:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Once the car is started, it shouldn't have any battery related problems at all, in fact you can safely disconnected the battery - the car will run on alternator.
That is actually not true. Not anymore at least.

Also, Im not sure about other Lexus models, but make sure you leave the smartkey more than 20 feet away from the car, or the car will keep communicating with the key, and drain the battery. (for those who hang keys next to the garage door).
Old 02-22-08, 04:41 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Possibly out of warranty??!? . 6 month old 75k BMW and possibly broken 50$ part, and still trying to rip me off instead of replacing it.

So, I just talked to the adviser and, after spending sometimes, they are charging me 155$ to replace the battery, and insisted that that was a dead battery.

I am getting rid of this POS.

Which is it, 6 months old as above or is it back to 8 months as earlier quoted below? Your story is changing for some reason to be off by 2 months, maybe it makes the story more DRAMATIC.

Originally Posted by STIG
And here is the shocker : I was told that I didn't drive the car enough ( I have 7000 miles on the ODO after 8 months) and that's the reason that the battery is drained and destroyed. I told them it was not the battery problem and they still giving me the same BS, and told me that they would charge me 150$ for the inspection fees since the battery is not covered under warranty..
Old 02-22-08, 05:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
That is actually not true. Not anymore at least.
How could it be not true? I'm not arguing, I just wanna know.
Old 02-22-08, 05:51 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How could it be not true? I'm not arguing, I just wanna know.
To be honest with you, I thought the same way until I had issues with my ground wire on my previous 98LS. With the ground disconnected from the battery, the car will surge anytime you try to open a window, lock the doors or step on the gas. Very strange, but I guess the more electronics incorporate into these cars, the more effect batteries have on your electrical system.

Later on, I had another issue with another car while in operation, and it turned out to be the battery as well.
Old 02-22-08, 06:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Which is it, 6 months old as above or is it back to 8 months as earlier quoted below? Your story is changing for some reason to be off by 2 months, maybe it makes the story more DRAMATIC.
I noticed that as well but I wanted someone else (since i've been marked) to point out the obvious. Inconsistencies always seem to crop up when it comes to BMW vehicles here.. Whether it be commentary, pics, articles, pick your poison.. I recall you having this X5 more than 6 heck even 8 months no? I ain't one to gossip so you didn't here that from me.. I blame it on the search button. I'll leave it at that.. Dashocker out.....
Old 02-22-08, 06:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I noticed that as well but I wanted someone else (since i've been marked) to point out the obvious. Inconsistencies always seem to crop up when it comes to BMW vehicles here.. Whether it be commentary, pics, articles, pick your poison.. I recall you having this X5 more than 6 heck even 8 months no? I ain't one to gossip so you didn't here that from me.. I blame it on the search button. I'll leave it at that.. Dashocker out.....
This is your second blanket statement about this forum in this thread. You are now being asked to exit this thread. The OP even stated he was worried about your comments in here.

Inconsistencies are all over the internet and just looking inside this thread, we are as fair is it is going to be concerning non-Lexus vehicles.

Old 02-22-08, 07:48 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

What difference does it make? honestly?? The car is less than a year old. That's all it matters.
Old 02-22-08, 07:50 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
you could just disconnect your battery if you're going to let it sit for a while...it's really not that hard...
Sure, I could do that. But why would I?? Having to reset all the settings is a PITA and is not something you should have to do with a Lexus. And a battery will self discharge even if fully disconnected, so it is counterproductive to let a battery cycle up and down continuously. You are looking at premature battery failure. That's a fact. Using a smart charger, like a Battery Tender, will keep the battery at 100% charge with no chance of overcharge. I've used them for years on my motorcycles and the batteries last much longer than those owners who let their batteries sit.

Disconnecting the battery is something I'm not going to do. There is no need to do that these days.
Old 02-22-08, 08:24 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

From what STIG has posted, this sounds like A LOT more than a simple dead or drained battery. I have plenty of experience with dead and drained batteries and all of his lights and electronics should not be going crazy like this, dead battery or not. The fact that a jump-start didn't help is an example that this is more than just a battery problem.

This is definitely an electronics problem with the car.

I find it a little bit silly that some of you are actually trying to defend the BMW dealer or to explain away their actions. His X5 is less than a year old, and fact is there is no excuse that the BMW dealer has for not fixing his vehicle under warranty as this is definitely more than just a battery problem.

German cars definitely have more electronic problems than Japanese luxury cars. This is a fact. One of my friends is an electronics expert who solves many kinds of electronic problems in cars and he tells me that *by far* Benz and BMW vehicles have more electronic problems than any other makes. He absolutely hates working on Benz and BMW electronics because he says they have so many problems. My guess is that even BMW techs hate working on BMWs with electronic problems.
Old 02-22-08, 08:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if he drove the car every other day, that 2 months thing is irrelevant. Making such a big damn deal over it.

I've heard about current leaks happening when cars are off, this could be one of the issues. Have to hook up an ammeter while the car is off to check.
Old 02-22-08, 09:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Did the dealer run any codes stig?
Old 02-22-08, 06:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I noticed that as well, that you spend so much time reading,analyze, google, and save to file when its come to anything negative about BMW. This is an internet forum and let me remind you that you are in Lexus forum. I don't go to BMW forum and do the "SEARCH" about the "LEXUS" and bash about the BMW forum in general. I just hang out with the people I like and the forum I like. I am what I am, not what I drive.
I think the members in CL handle this type of issue very well and in the polite manners.
Old 02-23-08, 02:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ok, couple of thoughts here....
Posting issues with a BMW on CL is like adding gas to a fire - the fire does not go out, it just gets bigger.

STIG, I honestly would have posted this on a BMW related site.

That said, here is my 2 cents...

I think these cars have an incredible drain on the battery at all times (check that, for the first 15 minutes after they are turned off, because after that they shut down most things including interior lights and what not). Just going out to my car and turning on the all the electronics (without starting) will generate a low battery warning within about 5 minutes. My 550i is an 06 that has 14K on the clock, so it goes for a lot of short trips and I'm pretty sure the battery does not love that.

So its quite possible that your battery was not up to snuff and/or you have some sort of charging issue.

The last time I tried to jump start my wife's MDX (its battery had been completely drained about 3 times), it exhibited all the same failures your car did (flashing lights, loud clicking, etc.). The battery just was not up to the task of running the car any more. I replaced the battery (at my cost) because I knew the Acura dealer would give me crap (and it just was not worth the tow to the dealer and hassle).

So I do think you have/had a defective battery and I also think that BMW should replace it under warranty (a simple call to BMW along with what you had to do to get it replaced might help). Last but not least, I think your dealer sounds horrible. I know I've run into bad dealers before (both Lexus and BMW) and nothing is more frustrating.

In the end, get a new battery and see if the car freaks out again - if it does then that is strike 2 - one more and you can lemon law it.

I personally don't think you want to move out of that car as there is nothing else like it out there.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-08, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ok, couple of thoughts here....
Posting issues with a BMW on CL is like adding gas to a fire - the fire does not go out, it just gets bigger.

STIG, I honestly would have posted this on a BMW related site.

That said, here is my 2 cents...

I think these cars have an incredible drain on the battery at all times (check that, for the first 15 minutes after they are turned off, because after that they shut down most things including interior lights and what not). Just going out to my car and turning on the all the electronics (without starting) will generate a low battery warning within about 5 minutes. My 550i is an 06 that has 14K on the clock, so it goes for a lot of short trips and I'm pretty sure the battery does not love that.

So its quite possible that your battery was not up to snuff and/or you have some sort of charging issue.

The last time I tried to jump start my wife's MDX (its battery had been completely drained about 3 times), it exhibited all the same failures your car did (flashing lights, loud clicking, etc.). The battery just was not up to the task of running the car any more. I replaced the battery (at my cost) because I knew the Acura dealer would give me crap (and it just was not worth the tow to the dealer and hassle).

So I do think you have/had a defective battery and I also think that BMW should replace it under warranty (a simple call to BMW along with what you had to do to get it replaced might help). Last but not least, I think your dealer sounds horrible. I know I've run into bad dealers before (both Lexus and BMW) and nothing is more frustrating.

In the end, get a new battery and see if the car freaks out again - if it does then that is strike 2 - one more and you can lemon law it.

I personally don't think you want to move out of that car as there is nothing else like it out there.

Good luck.
Now what is your issue? Let me break this down.
CLUBLEXUS is a LEXUS forum. On the grand scale of forums you WILL NOT find a more unbiased forum, ESPECIALLY in comparison to a BMW forum. As one on tons of forums, I would know this. I also now rarely post on BMW forums as the general posting about Lexus is so pathetic it would make a 3 year old cringe. I seriously pray these people don't make decisions that may affect my life. The quality of posting, is sadly, that bad on average. You do have your fair posters there but it is few and far between.

Do you want me to link ANY Lexus thread on a BMW forum? How about this gem? Its full of just GENERAL ignorance and hate posting.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114436

Compare that thread to this or ANY BMW thread here.

There is a great deal of respect for BMW here.
1. There are those that are simply not smitten by the brand, thus they post on a Lexus forum. This is their home.
2. You have people who have owned both and can post the pros/cons of both.
3. You have those that either went from a BMW to a Lexus or from a Lexus to a BMW and post here.
4. Then you have blind fanbois who are hell bent on proving they their brand is so much damn better. This includes BMW owners who refuse to admit their car has problems or Lexus owners who refuse to admit they have problems for example.

This thread is multiple pages and I have not read ONE POST where someone just based BMW or said "all BMWs are crap" or "knew this was gonna happen".

What I have read is a bunch of people trying to solve the problem, from BMW owners to Lexus owners and a couple people putting blanket statements about Clublexus in this thread and others.

If Clublexus is that bad, if its THAT POOR in QUALITY POSTING, why post here? The moderator team has even done a fantastic job with a DIVERSE population of car owners, from BMW, to Benz, to Infiniti, to Chevy, to Lexus, etc..to keep things as fair as we can.

Why? If its that bad?

The OP I believe owns both brands, he is disappointed with his X5 experience. This should NOT be a total surprise, BMWs are simply not the more quality filled/reliable cars. That is not their selling point. Why pick up for it? This literally happens all the time, from people posting, to reading BMWs in reviews.

No on here has said or is saying Lexus doesn't break down. That fact is, on average, there is a much greater chance of failure on average. This is proven over and over again, year after year again. The 30 guys on the internet swearing their BMWs don't break down or their Lexus was way worse either defeated those odds (which is possible) or as credible as WMD reports.

So quite frankly, the only reason the flames grow is b/c some pro BMW posters LOVE to add gas to any fire/spark/flame they see on Clublexus.

Seriously, CL is not that bad. I could have a part time job linking all the ridiculous Lexus statements said on the BMW forums. If you like that environment instead of a more biased one, stay there.

This is a STERN WARNING to ANYONE in this thread.

Old 02-23-08, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
[There is a great deal of respect for BMW here.
1. There are those that are simply not smitten by the brand, thus they post on a Lexus forum. This is their home.
I have reviewed many new BMWs myself, and I go out of my way to be as honest and objective as I can........calling their good points (chassis/suspension, steering, engine, gauge layout) and their not-so-good ones (electronics, I-Drive, and interior fit/finish). Of course, not everyone agrees about I-drive...some like it.

Quick Reply: My problems with X5 and the dealer (long read)