Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My problems with X5 and the dealer (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 03:38 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah pretty much, especially when his car is less than 6 month old. My Benz dealer goes out of their way paying out of pocket for a lot of things for me, although it is not a BMW or the same BMW dealer.

When you called Road Side assistence your dealer is paying out of pocket for the guy to show up to your house. If they are smart they will show up with a new battery and replace it on the spot if deemed necessary MB are smart about this, they will get a detailed description on what my problems are and usually show up with the necessary parts. Or else they risk you calling them again and again with the same problem and they will have to keep sending people over to you and incure more out of pocket cost for them.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
So dealers are in the business of just giving away car batteries possibly out of warranty to keep the customer happy?? Which dealers are these? I recall in 2001, The OE battery in my GS400 disharged in my hot garage during the summer heat wave. I called Lexus roadside assistance at the time and guess who arrived at my home? Not a Lexus Tech in a RX300 labled "roadside assistance". It was a AAA pick up truck. Took him 4 hours to arrive (lucky I was home) To speed things up, I took the car to Bayridge Lexus (where I purchased the car)the next day to have them do a load test. they told me that the battery can no longer hold a charge and that I will need a new battery. They wanted to charge me $125.00 for the replacement. I told them why should I have to pay for this? Service advisor told me that the battery is no longer under warranty.. No free battery for me. Quite odd eh?? I paid the $125.00 for piece of mind...
Old 02-23-08, 03:46 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

As for the OP, I would like to see how this turns out. Car problems happen, but what irritates me is when I don't feel they are making an effort or are careless. I don't expect roadside service to get to me right away but when they give me an ETA, I expect it to be accurate or else they're just wasting my time.

Problems happen. The difference in service is how companies treat me when problems happen.

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
That BMW service makes me wonder if it's worth getting the M3 because my parents and I have been seriously considering it along with the IS-F. I've had a fear of going over to the dark side because of possible reliability issues with the car but I LOVEEEE the E92 M3. We've also been looking at the IS-F and know that Lexus is backing it up but also fear how its reliability will be like with the new high performance engine.
Like you, I would otherwise give the M3 serious consideration over the IS-F but the service problems are why I'm a Lexus fan for life. My roommate has terrible experiences with his 328i, which was a total lemon, and hasn't had any problems with his 335i (yet) but the customer service at the dealership is terrible. He complains about it all the time. But he is a total BMWhead, so I guess BMW realizes they can treat him like crap and he'll still come back for more.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I never impressed about the BMW dealer here in Vegas, they are the only one in town, and the service and attitude are , that is one of the reason I sold my 2003 530I.
Which one do you go to? They're owned by the same people I think, so I'm guessing service won't be better at one anyway. My roommate goes to the one in Henderson usually. I like taxi-ing him there since they never seem to give him a loaner and it's always fun to see how rude they'll be.

Last edited by gengar; 02-23-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is hillarious.

Not you STIG - feel sorry for your issues.

But BMW apologists need to chill out. First they dont pickup his car after 3 tries. Then they charge him for warranty service and it is normal and his fault? For car less than 1 year old?

If he had Lexus, we would all agree how Lexus is going downhill, fast. Thats pretty funny.

p.s. If any of your BWM lovers visit BMW forums, its not like he is the only one with issues.
Old 02-23-08, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is hillarious.

Not you STIG - feel sorry for your issues.

But BMW apologists need to chill out. First they dont pickup his car after 3 tries. Then they charge him for warranty service and it is normal and his fault? For car less than 1 year old?

If he had Lexus, we would all agree how Lexus is going downhill, fast. Thats pretty funny.

p.s. If any of your BWM lovers visit BMW forums, its not like he is the only one with issues.
I can handle the moderating here, thanks. Everyone stick to the topic.

STIG please update us on what happens.

Old 02-23-08, 05:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I'm the biggest BMW hater on this board, but I hate BMW as a brand, but not their cars. Although their current "Bangled" lineup has zero appeal for me, I gotta admit - the old 740, M5, and 8 series are stunning. I could see myself getting the previous gen M5 if it wasn't for reliability issues and if it came with automatic transmission.

However the attitude of BMW brand, and many of their owners (like in the thread that 1SICKLEX posted) just leaves much to be desired.
Old 02-23-08, 06:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now what is your issue? Let me break this down.
CLUBLEXUS is a LEXUS forum.
Exactly Mike - so why post issues with your BMW here?
Old 02-23-08, 06:33 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I was charged 155$ for the "inspection" fees, and no battery was replace, since the battery was not covered under warranty. I am over with this issue. I won't spend my time arguing with them. I know I got ripped off by the dealer, but I have other issues to deal with in my life. It could just be that it was not the same dealer that I took my car in for service. So, this particular dealer is trying to make money off me somehow.

I was told that the issues was just the drained battery, since I don't drive the car enough. To be clear, the car was taken delivery end of July 2007 and had this car for 7 months to be exact, and drove 7200 miles during that time, and mostly freeway miles.

I am pretty sure that this is going to be the first and the last BMW.

Don't get me wrong. I really like BMWs and I admire their engineerings. The way they stand behind their products is just unbelievable.

I can post the service receipt if this is too hard to believe.

Mods- Lock this thread up. This is not going anywhere. I simply posted this issues because I like this forum a lot and I know there are a lot of respectable BMW owners who also browse the CL, and thought they could give me some good advice.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by STIG; 02-23-08 at 06:36 PM.