Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GTR vs. M3 vs. 911 GT3 (Autocar Test Video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 05:42 AM
dr Lu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehh..why is the M3 even in this..dont think its in the same category as the other super cars.
Old 02-23-08, 10:30 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad that I waited.

I just finally got my tracking number, after having bad lucks with 3 dealerships. So, M3 can go to hell.
Old 02-23-08, 11:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Now there have been comparison tests between GT-R and some other supercars done by several auto magazines from different countries. I think these comparos are trustworthy that GT-R is at least as best as the best from Porsche and Lamborghini, if not better than them.

True indeed. Here is a video of the GTR against the Gallardo SL and a couple 997's. Though the GTR lost to the Lambo its clear it can hang and beat cars that are double the cost and more exclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/index?&sessio...Ifsy6TKEOd_0uN
Old 02-23-08, 11:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Can't believe the brakes on the M3...wow.
crappy brakes....
hahahhahahahahhahahahhahaa
Old 02-23-08, 11:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

be sure to watch Fifth Gear Feb 25th episode, they will test the GTR
Old 02-23-08, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

holy cow, i am speechless. the m3 was a joke in the video (and i am sure same case for the is-f, c63, rs4...) wow, nice to see the gt-r kicking major ***, awesome!

it's awesome to see the crazy 0-60 and 0-100 numbers, and the track time....
Old 02-23-08, 05:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Well, don't worry about the service portion. Nissan has specific details on the GT-R. Read from Automotive News which is a newspaper that dealerships use and is like the Wallstreet Journal of the automotive world.

No GT-R's will be sold on the phone, only off the floor. Any GT-R buyer must be greeted by the manager and general manager. In order to qualify as a store that can sell the GT-R, you must invest $25,000 in an alignment machine that is specific to that car only. There are other special tooling that are required, all must be covered by that store. There are certain procedures for dealing with any GT-R customer both on the phone and in the store, and the managers are directly responsible. The ace technician from service will go to a 1 week course for the GT-R, which if you think about it, is also a big investment on the dealership to lose their best person for a week. Nissan actually wanted them in Japan for 4 weeks initially, but settled on 1 week. That will be the ONLY technician who can touch the GT-R, nobody else. If that technician is on vacation, sick, or not at work the day a GT-R is brought in, Nissan North America will immediately dispatch a qualified tech to that facility.

So there is major training for the technician who will touch the car, and major training for the contact people, and I can only imagine the surveys and attention from Nissan themselves. In the words of the article, Nissan will be sure to treat the GT-R buyer as someone exclusive. Oh, and the engine requires adjustments every year, all covered under warranty. I have no doubt they will take care of GT-R buyers, and any dealership that is stupid enough to cut corners...well, Nissan is having an audit to every store signed up. You don't conform, you don't get the car.
taken from a bimmerforums thread
Old 02-23-08, 06:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

interesting. i wonder if it's about exclusivity, or the car is really that hard to work with?
Old 02-23-08, 08:32 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, the bimmerforums post is interesting but I wonder how effective having just one tech for the GT-R will really be. Even with the low production numbers, it could get hairy scheduling regular maintenances or with emergency needs. It's already bad enough with a full fleet of techs.

Also, the $25k investment and sending a tech away for a week is not a big deal. With current market adjustment, the dealership will make that back and more on the first GT-R they sell!
Old 02-23-08, 11:08 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting. i wonder if it's about exclusivity, or the car is really that hard to work with?
Not everyone can work on the new GTR... I don't know if they are hard to work on(for those who has been trained) but I do know that there are special procedure that need to follow to work on these car... Nissan make it very difficult for anyone other than dealer to work on these car!!!!

Here is a few pic of the very first privately own R35 GTRs being work on in the USA...

http://2009gtr.blogspot.com/2008/02/...-pictures.html
Old 02-24-08, 07:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

yes somewhat, they dont want you to have the feeling the person that works on a sentra/altima is also working on your GTR
Old 02-24-08, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yes somewhat, they dont want you to have the feeling the person that works on a sentra/altima is also working on your GTR
i don't know, but i find that a bit silly. i would like my car to be workable by a lot of people, especially people outside of the dealership. i don't want to be able to rely on only one source to fix my car
Old 02-24-08, 08:39 AM
LexFather

While I can appreciate Nissans' hopes and wishes and intent, their dealer service has been ranked near the bottom for years now.

Having owned a Nissan, it made me cringe to go for service.

True GT-R owners will have a different experience but I said since day one, the internet posts will easily pop up "My dealer sucks" or "My dealer messed up my GT-R" etc in a few months.

Old 02-24-08, 10:42 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sign me up for the new GTR!!!!
Old 02-24-08, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

i don't know, but i find that a bit silly. i would like my car to be workable by a lot of people, especially people outside of the dealership. i don't want to be able to rely on only one source to fix my car
Are you kidding? If you get a 911 for example you don't want it worked on by just any technician.

Same is true with, say, the LS600hL. NO way in hell I'd want ANYONE but a Lexus dealer working on that.

Quick Reply: GTR vs. M3 vs. 911 GT3 (Autocar Test Video)