Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Ford Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 05:52 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Australia's favourite taxi, alongside the Holden Commodore. If that's the best they can do for a model change their in deep water considering Holden has completely altered their current VE Commodore series. It looks nice but still too much like an update of the current BA series rather than a completely new car. I'm sure the up market versions will be quite nice though.

Never EVER say that again... Australia gets all the crap versions of any officially imported vehicles, and when they bring in the good stuff it costs at least twice as much as you guys are paying, regardless of the exchange rate. Consider yourselves lucky

One of the more popular pick ups in Australia. My old neighbour has a one for work (roadside assistance truck).

Kinda... except it's not like the Camry in a sense that it's actually spanned across whole model ranges (i.e. based on the same platform but always seen as a different car... most people won't see the RAV4 as a spin-off from a Camry). The BA chassis (Falcon) is that sedan/wagon shape (cooking models to the XR6/8 models and FPV Typhoon), the ute and their upmarket Fairlane and LTD (I guess something along the lines of a Lincoln).
so you are saying that all the evo's, sti's, turbo diesel 4x4's, skyline's etc. are not as cheap and available as we thought?
Old 02-24-08, 06:47 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Skylines are pretty cheap (about 10K for an R32 GTSt, 12Kish for an R33 blah blah blah)... GTR's are more expensive (obviously) but still can be had for a decent price now (R32 around mid twenties, R34 for about 60K or so I'm guessing and there was an R35 for about 120K I think). This is kinda redundant though since they are grey imports and there's no official pricing for these type of cars.

Officially imported Evo's and STi's are about 70~80K inc. on-roads. E.g. the new STI hatchback is nearly $60K AUD (just over $55K USD) over here while the price on the Subaru USA website is at $34995USD (nearly $38K AUD)... both prices are without the on-road costs. Luxury cars are even worst (we have a luxury car tax on top of import duty etc etc... so a humble, say IS250 would cost around $80000~$90000AUD).

Depends which turbo diesel 4x4's you're talking about (LandCruisers are around from about 50K~80K, Discovery3 is about 60K or 70K etc), but now there are tons of TD grey imports in Australia (Estima Emina/Lucida, Hi-Ace wagons, Mitsu Delica etc).

Last edited by BLK13X; 02-24-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 09:03 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda... except it's not like the Camry in a sense that it's actually spanned across whole model ranges (i.e. based on the same platform but always seen as a different car... most people won't see the RAV4 as a spin-off from a Camry). The BA chassis (Falcon) is that sedan/wagon shape (cooking models to the XR6/8 models and FPV Typhoon), the ute and their upmarket Fairlane and LTD (I guess something along the lines of a Lincoln).
The Ford Territory is based off the Falcon platform.
Old 02-24-08, 11:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Skylines are pretty cheap (about 10K for an R32 GTSt, 12Kish for an R33 blah blah blah)... GTR's are more expensive (obviously) but still can be had for a decent price now (R32 around mid twenties, R34 for about 60K or so I'm guessing and there was an R35 for about 120K I think). This is kinda redundant though since they are grey imports and there's no official pricing for these type of cars.

Officially imported Evo's and STi's are about 70~80K inc. on-roads. E.g. the new STI hatchback is nearly $60K AUD (just over $55K USD) over here while the price on the Subaru USA website is at $34995USD (nearly $38K AUD)... both prices are without the on-road costs. Luxury cars are even worst (we have a luxury car tax on top of import duty etc etc... so a humble, say IS250 would cost around $80000~$90000AUD).

Depends which turbo diesel 4x4's you're talking about (LandCruisers are around from about 50K~80K, Discovery3 is about 60K or 70K etc), but now there are tons of TD grey imports in Australia (Estima Emina/Lucida, Hi-Ace wagons, Mitsu Delica etc).

Did you ever see any late model Mazda Cosmos in Australia, I know they were imported there but were still pretty rare due to price? The model with the twin turbo 3 rotor was one of my favorite cars of all time, wish we got them in the states. Were Mitsu FTO's imported to Australia? Not sure if they made it to Europe but I know they had a following in Japan?
Old 02-25-08, 12:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha I gotta show this to my friend. It will bring back some memories... He had a 1967 Falcon wagon w/a 351 that we sprayed painted orange - it was a hilarious car. Put a mattress in the back, spray painted the rear side windows black... I remember driving it down the road, hitting a bump and watching the muffler fall off!
Old 02-25-08, 07:03 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good but doesnt that much different.
Old 02-25-08, 07:51 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob

wtf...
this just looks so wrong
lol
Old 02-25-08, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

We are supposed to get it here in Mexico, so it will be on vehicle I will be taking out on a test drive.
Old 02-25-08, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
We are supposed to get it here in Mexico, so it will be on vehicle I will be taking out on a test drive.
When you do, give us your impressions on it. You don't have to do a whole, formal, full-length review like I do, but just give us a brief summary.
Old 02-25-08, 06:08 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The Ford Territory is based off the Falcon platform.
Oops totally forgot about the Territory. I stand corrected.

Did you ever see any late model Mazda Cosmos in Australia, I know they were imported there but were still pretty rare due to price? The model with the twin turbo 3 rotor was one of my favorite cars of all time, wish we got them in the states. Were Mitsu FTO's imported to Australia? Not sure if they made it to Europe but I know they had a following in Japan?
Mazda Cosmo: There are a couple around but nothing in comparison to cars such as the Soarer, even though they are virtually in the same class of car (i.e. large Japanese luxury sports coupes).
FTO: Everywhere and are usually dirt cheap for the early models (especially the non-MIVEC models).