Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aprilia unveils RSV 4 with plans to go Superbike racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 01:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Aprilia unveils RSV 4 with plans to go Superbike racing

I dont know much about bikes, but this looks badass!!

Aprilia is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to small-bore 125 and 250cc road-racers, as well as in the 450cc off-road and supermoto categories. These successes have led the Italian company to branch out further, this time into the hotly-contested Superbike World Championship. The machine it will be doing battle with is the RSV 4, a brand new design using a brand new engine. That engine is very different from the normal inline four-cylinder Japanese models against which Aprilia will compete, as it uses a V4 design with the cylinders canted 65 degrees apart. The one-liter engine produces "well over 200 HP" in race trim, and a street-tuned version should for forthcoming. It probably goes without saying that we are anxiously awaiting the start of the 2009 season to see how well a small manufacturer like Aprilia can compete against the big factory teams of the Japanese manufacturers. Even more important to us, though, is how well the street version will compete against the other liter bikes already for sale.
Old 02-23-08, 06:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aprilia is actually very up-and-coming in the past couple of years. I see huge growing (read investment) potential, just like how Ducati has changed the motorcycle world significantly in the past five years (moreso than the past 50 years).

Aprilia has always had racing bikes, and also functional everyday scooters. Now, they have the new Shiver which is their "entry level" 750cc bike that competes with the Yamaha FZ6 and or Suzuki SV650. I actually have tried it and it's a great and comfortable bike. Hell, it may be my next Italian bike...
Old 02-24-08, 01:07 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought the RSV Mille was a VERY nice bike. Well, looks like they're taking it to the next level with this one.