Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS Convertible spotted

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 12:13 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Agreed, it makes no sense to introduce the Cab that late in the product cycle. Hopefully Lexus will get smart and launch a new 3IS around that time and within a year of that offer a Coupe and Cab (hopefully versions that have a usable back seat!).

Better late than never, Lexus. The question is: will anybody care?
better late than never. and besides bmw did it. the e90 came out in 04/05 and the e93 came out last year.
Old 02-26-08, 02:35 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The SC is more of a 2 door GS. As the 6 is the 2 door 5.
The SC is a LOT nicer than the GS, in terms of appointments. And it oughta be--it costs $13k more. $3500 more than the LS460. Likewise, the 650i costs $24k more than the 550i, and $6k more than the 750i.

Size-wise, your assessment may be accurate. But I'll stick with my interpretation as to their appointments, ride, and where they actually fit in the lineup.
Old 02-26-08, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The SC is a LOT nicer than the GS, in terms of appointments. And it oughta be--it costs $13k more. $3500 more than the LS460. Likewise, the 650i costs $24k more than the 550i, and $6k more than the 750i.

Size-wise, your assessment may be accurate. But I'll stick with my interpretation as to their appointments, ride, and where they actually fit in the lineup.
the sc430 is based on the gs (at least the 2gs) platform.

don't look at the base price, the sc430 comes pretty much fully loaded. a fully loaded gs460 is at 60k, sc430 at 67k, that's 7k difference
Old 02-26-08, 02:59 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geko29

I'll agree with the fact that the SC is definitely more luxurious on the inside than the GS and is on par with the LS. But the platforms are the same (GS/SC, 5/6) and they also have the same engine as the top of the line sedan counterpart. The 6 was offering a 6 cylinder version but it seems to have disappeared (as the SC300 has... ) I somehow doubt the SC or 6 will ever get the largest engine option in the respective brands (V8/hybrid 600h or V12 6.0).

Last edited by Koma; 02-26-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 04:24 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

The SC is priced a lot higher than the 3 series coupe/convertible. They serve different purposes.[/QUOTE]

If they make the next SC off the IS platform they may be able to lower the SC price and offer both a coupe and convertible option.
Old 02-26-08, 04:41 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
If they make the next SC off the IS platform they may be able to lower the SC price and offer both a coupe and convertible option.
The next SC will probably be on the same platform. The GS/IS are the same platform and since the SC is based off the GS platform it would make sense that they'd use the 3GS/2IS platform for a 3SC.
Old 02-28-08, 10:29 AM
Leexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krew
Does anyone know what magazine this is from?
Its from the german car magazine called "Autobild"
Old 02-28-08, 10:39 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

I'm still a little confused, from what i gathered its supposed to be a 2 door? convertible.....

Does that mean they are making a 2IS coupE? (finally)
A coupe would look way better than a convertible.

.see sig.
Old 02-28-08, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Namir
I'm still a little confused, from what i gathered its supposed to be a 2 door? convertible.....

Does that mean they are making a 2IS coupE? (finally)
A coupe would look way better than a convertible.

.see sig.
i think i read that coupe has been in the work for a while already?
Old 02-28-08, 10:55 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i think i read that coupe has been in the work for a while already?
I hope so. Not everyone wants a convertible, which is bound to be heavier and more expensive. A simple 2-door version would do wonders.
Old 02-28-08, 06:49 PM
Lenscap
Driver

I posted back in December a conversation I had with the owner of a Lexus dealer. I've known him for over 10 years; he's very knowledgeable when it comes to future models. Anyway, he was at a dealer council meeting in Japan last October (only a select group of owners were invited). At that meeting they were shown the actual IS convertible and told it was going on sale in March 2009. This is not a rumor, but actual fact.

The coupe should be coming out about six months prior to that, around September this year.
Old 02-28-08, 07:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lenscap
I posted back in December a conversation I had with the owner of a Lexus dealer. I've known him for over 10 years; he's very knowledgeable when it comes to future models. Anyway, he was at a dealer council meeting in Japan last October (only a select group of owners were invited). At that meeting they were shown the actual IS convertible and told it was going on sale in March 2009. This is not a rumor, but actual fact.

The coupe should be coming out about six months prior to that, around September this year.
Sounds good. Too bad no one wore a hidden cam to the meeting and publish the vids on the net.
Old 02-28-08, 08:17 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sounds good. Too bad no one wore a hidden cam to the meeting and publish the vids on the net.
Thats why its selected owners only lol

If someone hidden cam-ed it then lexus would know and some body is gonna get a hurt reallll bad
Old 02-28-08, 08:24 PM
krew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leexus
Its from the german car magazine called "Autobild"
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 02-29-08, 10:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

To all those that doubted an IS Coupe/Convertible was coming, I hate to say I told you so ... but I told you so .

I really don't see any reason to be shocked or surprised by this. Most people that have been following Lexus product plans have known for quite a while than an IS Coupe/Convertible was coming. There might also possibly be an IS-F Coupe.

I expect the coupe to show up with the refreshed 2009 IS later this year and with the hard top convertible coming next year as Lenscap mentioned. Let's hope Lexus has some powertrain upgrades in store for the IS250/350 .

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Convertible spotted