Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS Convertible spotted

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 11:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sounds good. Too bad no one wore a hidden cam to the meeting and publish the vids on the net.
If the design were leaked & the dealer who did it were caught, than he will certainly lose his "selected dealer" status, or maybe even the franchise ? ...
Old 02-29-08, 10:02 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I expect the coupe to show up with the refreshed 2009 IS later this year and with the hard top convertible coming next year as Lenscap mentioned. Let's hope Lexus has some powertrain upgrades in store for the IS250/350 .
Here's what I'd like to see:
-DSG transmission or manual transmission option on both 250/350 models
-350AWD
-AWD coupes
Old 03-01-08, 02:35 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
The japan models do, so it was prolly imported JDM
Such lights are standard on most european-sold cars...so my guess is...that is why theyre there...IF this pictures is taken somwhere in eurore that is
Old 03-01-08, 08:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
-350AWD
-AWD coupes
I'd like to see that too but I doubt the transmissions will change, after all it's only a refresh.

It's possible we could see an AWD 350 and AWD on the coupe. I'm hoping to see engine upgrades at least for the 250.
Old 03-01-08, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

-350AWD
-AWD coupes

out of curiousity, except for technology behind it, why do people equate DSG with manual? it is still automatic transmission in the sense that you dont press clutch, and as such does not give you any better driving experience than automatic with sequential shift.
Old 03-01-08, 05:28 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
out of curiousity, except for technology behind it, why do people equate DSG with manual? it is still automatic transmission in the sense that you dont press clutch, and as such does not give you any better driving experience than automatic with sequential shift.
Sequential shift autos are not as fast. DSG actually is a manual transmission except it takes the driver out of the equation when it comes to clutches. In DSGs the next gear is preselected and ready to go as soon as either the ECU has decided it needs to be switched (automatic mode when redlined or when it thinks the driver wants to save fuel at lower revs) or the driver decided to switch the gear (manual mode).
DSG != manual but if they won't give me a true manual DSG is the next best thing.
Old 03-01-08, 05:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Sequential shift autos are not as fast. DSG actually is a manual transmission except it takes the driver out of the equation when it comes to clutches. In DSGs the next gear is preselected and ready to go as soon as either the ECU has decided it needs to be switched (automatic mode when redlined or when it thinks the driver wants to save fuel at lower revs) or the driver decided to switch the gear (manual mode).
DSG != manual but if they won't give me a true manual DSG is the next best thing.
I'd take the next generation DSG over the true H type manual anyday. Manual gearbox is over rated.
Old 03-01-08, 05:45 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by STIG
I'd take the next generation DSG over the true H type manual anyday. Manual gearbox is over rated.
I somewhat agree but there's nothing quite as fun as ripping through gears. It takes much more skill to drive a manual. But out of being lazy and not wanting to throw gears all the time I would definitely take a DSG for a DD.
Old 03-02-08, 11:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

says who? lexus says their 8 speed AT in IS-F is the quickest currently.

But what I was making point of is that from drivers perspective, AT= DSG. You dont get any extra enjoyment with DSG.

Shifting speed is already calculated into perfomance numbers (0-60, 1/4, 0-100, etc)...
Old 03-08-08, 08:24 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
Thats why its selected owners only lol

If someone hidden cam-ed it then lexus would know and some body is gonna get a hurt reallll bad
hahahaha is that russel p?
Old 03-08-08, 09:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great IS coupe pic in your sig, Namir!!! I'm sold.

No pics at the dealers event, reminds me of the Camry spy pics for the current gen which clearly came from a meeting, the pics came complete with a table centerpiece blocking the view.
Old 03-13-08, 10:23 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
Great IS coupe pic in your sig, Namir!!! I'm sold.

No pics at the dealers event, reminds me of the Camry spy pics for the current gen which clearly came from a meeting, the pics came complete with a table centerpiece blocking the view.
thanks, now if somehow I can get lexus designers to read CL and steal my sig, we could all have a sexy IS coupe. I'm not to sure about the convertible... it looks a little iffy to me haha.
Old 03-13-08, 10:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where did the pics go?
Old 09-28-08, 08:43 PM
scruffydog
Rookie

all i wanna see is a hard-top coupe. Lexus needs to have something to match with the BMW 3 series coupes
Old 09-28-08, 08:46 PM
LexFather

It will debut this fall

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Convertible spotted