Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

44MPG Standard in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 08:07 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Because cosumers in this country have too much freedom in choosing and buying and using extravagant SUVs and trucks......and I don't think this freedom should continue. I am not saying you can't buy a high performance cars or heavy SUVs, just that you need to pay more for doing so, sort of a pay back for the environment and also a discouragement for choosing such vehicles. I think everyone is responsible to save some fuel for the earth, not just the automakers or only the consumers.
+1 on this one too!
Old 02-27-08, 08:33 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Because cosumers in this country have too much freedom in choosing and buying and using extravagant SUVs and trucks
I agree. Consumers can keep their large SUVs just with 4 cylinders instead.
Old 02-27-08, 09:19 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

thats pretty cool.

I wonder how Toyota/Lexus will deal with that. Probably with ease. Gives them 12 years to have every model a hybrid.

Lexus is really going too need to change the 10 year cycle on the SC to like a year cycle or something.
Old 02-27-08, 09:24 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we can do it guys.

GM already had an electric car out - we all remember the EV1 right? That vehicle got 60mpg and it was pulled off the market for one reason or another. Whatever the case, in the late 90s, we did it.

As other members have pointed out. Toyota made great improvements on fuel efficiency and that was without any expectations from the government.

Look at John Goodman's 2003 H3 Hummer that gets 60mpg, 2,000 ft/lbs of torque, and 600 HP! Sure, it's the exteme approach and it costs a lot of money but it's possible and it's just a matter of massively producing the parts to make production scalable.

With 12 years go to, I'm sure we can do it if the car manufacturers make it a priority.

c.
Old 02-27-08, 09:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cliffud
Look at John Goodman's 2003 H3 Hummer that gets 60mpg, 2,000 ft/lbs of torque, and 600 HP! Sure, it's the exteme approach and it costs a lot of money but it's possible and it's just a matter of massively producing the parts to make production scalable.
Link? I'd like to see this technology.
Old 02-27-08, 09:56 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

GM already had an electric car out - we all remember the EV1 right? That vehicle got 60mpg and it was pulled off the market for one reason or another. Whatever the case, in the late 90s, we did it.
The EV1 was purely electric, so it didn't use gasoline at all and no mpg rating. It did get 50-150 miles per charge depending on the battery model.

The problem with electric is that it doesn't offer any actual efficiency increases, so it only displaces the energy-producing process. Yes, it may move us away from foreign oil but in terms of pollution it just moves it from the ICE to electricity production plants, which is primarily coal in this country and still heavily polluting.
Old 02-27-08, 01:01 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Would you like to move to the U.K? Or Europe where you are raped for driving a vehicle? This country was FOUNDED on the principles of FREEDOM and CHOICE. Its not a perfect system but I wouldn't trade it for anything else, even with nutso politians, gas guzzling cars, and SUVs the size of trailer homes.

That is our right as Americans. I would LOVE for AMERICANS to make SMARTER choices as well as our companies making more efforts for better efficiency.

This is bigger than cars. Solar power, recycling, hell more efficient bulbs in your home.

I'm all for responsibility and choice but no way in hell do I want my government TELLING me what to drive.
+1 I agree with this post 100%.
Old 02-27-08, 01:10 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Koma
Link? I'd like to see this technology.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10...id-hummer-60/2

There you go man.
Old 02-27-08, 01:41 PM
Koma

So these are speculative results rather than a fully built/tested vehicle.
Old 02-27-08, 02:20 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

the technology is there and it works. i'm sure he could tune in one direction or another to get more mileage or power. he's been doing these since 2005 and blew away the GM guys at Sema.
Old 02-27-08, 04:06 PM
Koma

the technology is there and it works. i'm sure he could tune in one direction or another to get more mileage or power. he's been doing these since 2005 and blew away the GM guys at Sema.
But not both.
From what I hear bio-diesel is incredibly dirty.
Old 02-27-08, 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

The technology is no mystery. The actual results are skewed dramatically by using more than biofuel in the mix. There's also hydrogen enrichment to the fuel which wasn't included in the calculations.

This would be like adding methanol injection to your car, running on pure meth, and claiming 300 mpg or more from your gasoline. Sure, you really are going a long way and using a tiny bit of gasoline, but you're not accounting for the methanol.

TANSTAAFL. It takes energy to move something. The only way the manufacturers will meet these efficiency goals without a quantum leap in engine efficiency is by reducing weight regardless of the powertrain's methodology. This means exotic materials and higher costs. It means less crashworthiness unless we're building McLaren F-1s - entirely carbon fibre - which is quite unaffordable for the masses. So, these standards will mean unsafe vehicles - underpowered, out matched by heavy commercial trucks, with narrow tires and tall sidewalls to ensure they will not handle like anything we drive today.

And all this talk about the miracle of hybrids ignores the fundamental physics - it is not possible to convert energy from one form to another without losses. So generating electricity to drive the vehicle with and ICE is LESS efficient than driving the vehicle's wheels directly. Americans will not buy diesels, and they surely would not buy a car designed to be truly efficient (fixed rpm, Miller cycle, operates at full throttle torque peak only when necessary to restore the charge on the batteries) and even then with everything optimized for thermal efficiency, you'll still only see a 15% increase in economy once you've completed cold cycle and got the engine up to temperature.

Plug in the wall in California is a joke. This is the same state with rolling blackouts a few years ago. Sure, let's plug in 10M cars every evening in the summer when everyone's air conditioning is peaking the utilities load. I'm sure the utility guys will respond by bringing more gas turbines online to support the brownout.

Once again, California is forcing their agenda on the nation. It's truly sad.
Old 02-27-08, 05:36 PM
LexFather

^^^
Amen...weight...but we need cars with NAV, 56 cup holders, heated/cooled everything and well most think of cars as living rooms.

I think we are more than capable of producing a good mid size car, thats safe with high fuel efficiency. Camry Hybrid is a good example.

Thing is, car makers DON'T WANT to make that logical, boring, decision. They rather do the cheaper thing, crank out more HP, and market more HP to the masses.

I still don't understand why Camry's Accords, Altimas etc need 270hp. They were fine with 200.

Old 02-27-08, 05:53 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^

I still don't understand why Camry's Accords, Altimas etc need 270hp. They were fine with 200.

My guess to that is because people want the power. Someone that wants a decent car, thats not too slow, would rather get the 270 compared to the 200hp model. I mean, if everyone was fine with low horse power, would BMW make a 528, 535, a 550 and an M5 with even more power? Power sells, and it will always sell until the taxes are so high, that you physically cant pay, then you downsize...
Old 02-27-08, 06:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Yeah, they need 270 hp to go 45 mph on I-880 between Union City and San Jose - and that's when there's not much traffic. Georgia's just as bad, maybe worse.

We'd better innovate some solutions to these problems soon...

Quick Reply: 44MPG Standard in Cali