Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG releases pricing on C63

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
damn not bad for the price.kinda makes you wonder why anyone would buy the IS-F
those who are not complete stereotype and have their preference on the is-f?
Old 02-27-08, 09:30 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Exactly. How can they afford to price it that much cheaper than in their own market?
Global products are almost always priced for the market in which they're distributed. This is a visible trend for any globally-distributed product - automobiles being just one of them. Similar pricing occurs in industries like electronics and even wine (but globally-distributed wine, not imported wines handled by independent importers).

The easiest way to comprehend it is that when an exchange rate changes, nothing actually changes in terms of how people living in the countries view their own currency. For example, here in America a dollar is still a dollar. It doesn't matter that it has fallen 30% relative to the GBP. A dollar still buys a double cheeseburger at McDonald's no matter what the exchange rate to the GBP is. Meanwhile over in the UK, even though their currency is worth more relative to the USD than it was previously, their prices aren't going to magically drop either. Sticker shock doesn't usually occur until people from each country travel to the other country.

Because the value of money doesn't change relative to their own economy, distributors still have to price their goods competitively - not only to competing products, but to the value of the money itself within that economy (which, as we've established, doesn't change). In the case of the C63, the competitive pricing is obviously paramount.
Old 02-27-08, 10:03 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Because the value of money doesn't change relative to their own economy, distributors still have to price their goods competitively - not only to competing products, but to the value of the money itself within that economy (which, as we've established, doesn't change). In the case of the C63, the competitive pricing is obviously paramount.
Yeah I understand all that but these are items being built in Germany using cost of goods in Euros not USD. At some point they can't afford to price the vehicle any lower here in US unless they have hedged currency and even that only holds for a while. These couple examples just seem to stand out a bit.
Old 02-27-08, 10:14 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There's always a pricing floor because of the actual costs, but that's still a long ways down the line. Invoice will probably just be like any other AMG.

The same thing is happening with wines as I mentioned. One of the VPs at America's Veuve distribution partner mentioned that Veuve actually lowered prices to them relative to the European market so they could continue to make money distributing it at the current price.
Old 02-27-08, 11:59 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw one in long beach a few nights ago. it was a michigan manufacturer's test mule.
Old 02-27-08, 07:29 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry....not paying $60k for what is an entry level Mercedes. I don't care how much HP it has....it's a C-Class.

Buy a 1-year old E55/E63 for that.....hell even the CLS55 is in the 60's now.

I won't pay depreciation on new cars that are $60-100k when 20% is knocked off the first year alone. I never understood why people do that....they are throwing away money.
Old 02-29-08, 11:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Reading some of the comments here makes it seem as if the sky is falling just because the base price of the C63 undercuts the IS-F .

Let's not forget that a *base* IS-F comes almost fully loaded, while a base M3 and base C63 will have a lot less standard features than a base IS-F will.

There's also the matter of the gas guzzler tax.

Originally Posted by AM1
damn not bad for the price.kinda makes you wonder why anyone would buy the IS-F

Maybe for the higher top speed? Or perhaps for better reliability and better dealer service? Or it could be better fuel economy and not having to pay the gas guzzler tax with the IS-F.
Old 03-01-08, 12:35 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds nice.

http://www.road2road.com/index.php?type=76&showid=285
Old 03-01-08, 01:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Let's not forget that a *base* IS-F comes almost fully loaded, while a base M3 and base C63 will have a lot less standard features than a base IS-F will.
Base, shmase - dealers will have so few IS-F's which I bet all come loaded so customers will have no choice except mabye of 2 exterior colors...
Old 03-01-08, 01:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Cool video. That exhaust is a bit buzzy for me and would probably get old.

Car looks a bit narrow to me (maybe video is a bit squeezed or something) but dayum it seems quick and corners great. Probably good for breaking up kidney stones too I imagine.
Old 03-01-08, 09:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Base, shmase - dealers will have so few IS-F's which I bet all come loaded so customers will have no choice except mabye of 2 exterior colors...
The first few IS-Fs will be like that, just as I imagine the first few C63s and M3s will be. You're just as unlikely to find a base M3 as you are to find a base IS-F.

Plus, regardless of how optioned the car will be, the gas guzzler tax on the C63 and M3 will add to the price, but same won't apply to the IS-F.
Old 03-01-08, 09:14 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The first few IS-Fs will be like that, just as I imagine the first few C63s and M3s will be. You're just as unlikely to find a base M3 as you are to find a base IS-F.

Plus, regardless of how optioned the car will be, the gas guzzler tax on the C63 and M3 will add to the price, but same won't apply to the IS-F.

I am not sure about MB, but one of the great things about buying a BMW is that you can configure the car as you like, and order it with ease. So if you want base M3, you can just put an order.

BTW, C63 sounds absolutely sick! Kinda sounds like SL55AMG.
Old 03-01-08, 06:02 PM
LexFather

This entire class is just superb.

Old 03-02-08, 02:17 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Isn't all service included on all BMW cars? That right there has ALOT of sway!! The M3 has outperformed the c63 and is-f. I believe it will hold it's value better as well.i'll probably just get a 335i coupe when the time comes.
Old 03-02-08, 05:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Isn't all service included on all BMW cars? That right there has ALOT of sway!! The M3 has outperformed the c63 and is-f. I believe it will hold it's value better as well.i'll probably just get a 335i coupe when the time comes.
The reliability reputation Lexus has also holds a lot of sway. And outperformed in what sense?

Quick Reply: AMG releases pricing on C63