Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG releases pricing on C63

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 09:06 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMG releases pricing on C63

Pricing

There is no doubt that Mercedes-Benz is squarely taking aiming at BMW's M3 with its all-new C63 AMG Sedan, and that rivalry will be reflected in the car's price. Mercedes has announced that its C63 AMG will come with a base sticker price of $53,800 — the exact same price of entry for BMW's M3 sedan.
From Leftlanenews...
Old 02-26-08, 09:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It makes the IS-F sound ultra expensive at $56k...
Old 02-26-08, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Wow, lower base price. Do you have to load it up with equipment though?

Wow.

Old 02-26-08, 09:26 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, lower base price. Do you have to load it up with equipment though?

Wow.
my thoughts exactly. 53.8k for a C63 seems like a really good deal.
Old 02-26-08, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It makes the IS-F sound ultra expensive at $56k...
again, that comment doesn't make any sense coz' what's "base" price, i bet the is-f has more stuff "base"

but base price aside (to me that price is meaningless), i am indeed surprised (in a good way) that the m3 and c63 seem to be priced very well, thus making the is-f less attractive in terms of price.

the other day i priced a m3 similar to the is-f (as close as i can), and it's about 67k. the is-f is 61k. so it's only 6k difference, that's not that big of a difference at all. given the rs4 and the c63 is priced about the same similar equipped, the is-f is in a very tough fight
Old 02-26-08, 09:51 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Something really bugs me here. How can BMW and Mercedes afford to sell their base cars at these prices? The BMW M3 sells for the equivalent of $97K in England and $83K in Germany (prior to huge luxury tax). Have BMW and Mercedes been able to hedge currencies so much as to be able to do this? RS4 doesn't strike me as being quite as out of whack nor the IS-F (about $71.5K in Japan) but these two are really surprising.
Old 02-26-08, 10:18 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm.. my neighbor just got a C63 AMG. They just released the pricing now? how is this possible?
Old 02-26-08, 10:31 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

...lol. omg this isnt looking good for lexus at all. now i wouldnt even buy the IS-F. much rather have that monster 6.2 engine.

if we think about it, lexus had to basically add all this stuff to their 5.0 which costs a lot of money. merc already had their V8 from the other cars, all they had to do was detune it.

not looking good at all
Old 02-26-08, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the c63 is on the street already? somehow i thought it's coming out very soon

mr johnson, really? those are the base price of m3 in england and germany? that's huge difference!
Old 02-26-08, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
...lol. omg this isnt looking good for lexus at all. now i wouldnt even buy the IS-F. much rather have that monster 6.2 engine.

if we think about it, lexus had to basically add all this stuff to their 5.0 which costs a lot of money. merc already had their V8 from the other cars, all they had to do was detune it.

not looking good at all
the 5l engine is from the ls600hl and lexus just had to tune it up, i am sure the engine is capable of more. i do admit the gap between the is-f and other competitors is much smaller now, so it really comes down to performance if pricing is not much of a difference. i have yet to read any in depth comparison between all the cars.

the 6.2? it's good on straight, but it's known for "poor" handling among the m3 and rs4 already

Last edited by rominl; 02-26-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 10:35 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to the two B's commanding a premium for the "prestige" that some German fans take pride in so much? Undercutting the competition is so not like them.

That said, I think this is a good move for the Mercedes. The AMG C-Class has always played underdog against the 3-series so it's only necessary for them to at least match the BMW in pricing.

As for the IS-F, I'm sure it'll still be quite a bit cheaper than both when comparably equipped, but those looking for just performance and badging and not luxury will find the two B's a better bargain.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-26-08 at 10:48 AM.
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Something really bugs me here. How can BMW and Mercedes afford to sell their base cars at these prices? The BMW M3 sells for the equivalent of $97K in England and $83K in Germany (prior to huge luxury tax). Have BMW and Mercedes been able to hedge currencies so much as to be able to do this? RS4 doesn't strike me as being quite as out of whack nor the IS-F (about $71.5K in Japan) but these two are really surprising.
Yeah, it has to be an obvious shot at the IS-F. If they were not worried, they would just overprice the car or raise the price and raise the standard features.

We all know its RARE for a M3 or C63 to walk out the door with the base MSRP. Most ordered by dealers will have tons of add ons.

However, they can claim a lower MSRP than Lexus can.

AMAZING. To think the LEXUS is more expensive than the Germans?

whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, I am 100% sure my neighbor in CA (626/909) area has a white C63 AMG on the driveway.

I couldn't believe my eyes too, but the new body style/aggressive kits and quad exhaust pipes are hard to miss
Old 02-26-08, 10:42 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

everyone here knows how much you hate the is-f already
errr....do you have me confused with somebody else?

i dont think ive said anything negative about it up until this pricing announcement. that and the stacked exhausts posts which ive never commented on whether i prefer them attached or not.

Last edited by RXSF; 02-26-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 10:48 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

take pictures

Quick Reply: AMG releases pricing on C63