Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In need of IN DEPTH VVT-I info for 2JZGE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 10:31 PM
slammed.x7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of IN DEPTH VVT-I info for 2JZGE

Hello, I need some questions answered by people who are REALLY familiar with VVT-I and that have first hand experience with it. Yes I have searched and nothing answers my question.

First off I do know what vvt-i and have an idea on how it operates, but the questions I have aren't answered in what I read.

I'm swapping in a vvti 2JZGE from a 98 GS300. I don't know how I'm going to get the vvt-i sorted since this motor is going into my cressida. also I came to the conclusion that I won't be able to use the stock ecu for it because of drive by wire, obd2 and the auto tranny b/s. So I'm just going to run it off a megasquirt ecu with the ford edis setup for the ignition. the original plan was to run vvti off an msd rpm activation switch, but after finding out vvt-i isn't like vvt in which its just on/off< I don't know what to do anymore.

so my questions are:

can i run the 2J without vvt-i hooked up?

I read that even without it hooked up, oil pressure builds up and something with the cam changes still. Is this true?

I stated earlier that i may not be able to use the stock ecu, but can I use it to control vvt-i?

I'd really need some in depth answers or answers that are straight to the point. Thats because I'm at the point where turning back is not an option. Thanks.