Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got rid of my LS for this

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 03:07 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wald Cressida MX83
Attached Thumbnails got rid of my LS for this-sline-crown-w-v2a-1.jpg  
Old 02-28-08, 03:35 PM
zokustyle
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by python
if the Ls isnt that special why are u on this forum? why is the Ls one, if not the most reputable,and reliable car,used or new, in the world, why is that car u have posted been discontinued? no longer in production, even at the height of its existance it was not a very popular car, in fact, in those days toyota was looked upon as a cheap car, anyone who was anyone drove a camaro,mustang or most any domestic car...as time went on toyota bulit a name for itself by building great cars.........none of which were that car!
if u guys are looking at old school.........look at some impala's '61-'66....camaro's '66-'71, chevelle's '65-'69,corvette's '53-'70 these are cars that are known throughout the world as some of the best looking cars ever made.....im 46 years old,i live in the united states and have been around for a long time, ive seen great cars come and go, i will admit that we have been passed up by japanese and european cars,but please do not talk old school because u have no idea what is truely a great old school car
easy pal, it's just the internet. i wasn't bashing you or your little LS, but why did you have to bash me and my defenseless cressybessy?

i'm just on these forums to know how to fix stuff that breaks.

not to look for movie buddies or long-term relationships.
Old 02-28-08, 04:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by python
if the Ls isnt that special why are u on this forum? why is the Ls one, if not the most reputable,and reliable car,used or new, in the world, why is that car u have posted been discontinued? no longer in production, even at the height of its existance it was not a very popular car, in fact, in those days toyota was looked upon as a cheap car, anyone who was anyone drove a camaro,mustang or most any domestic car...as time went on toyota bulit a name for itself by building great cars.........none of which were that car!
if u guys are looking at old school.........look at some impala's '61-'66....camaro's '66-'71, chevelle's '65-'69,corvette's '53-'70 these are cars that are known throughout the world as some of the best looking cars ever made.....im 46 years old,i live in the united states and have been around for a long time, ive seen great cars come and go, i will admit that we have been passed up by japanese and european cars,but please do not talk old school because u have no idea what is truely a great old school car
down boy

old school is a relative term, when you were born in 1962 "old school" meant model A's and '34 Ford Coupes

choosing another car doesnt mean that the LS isnt as good a car or the cressida is a "better" car.

people who say that brand x's model y car is the "best" in the world dont have any idea what they are talking about, cars, like anything else, are relative, they fulfill different needs to different people, you cant measure how "good" or "bad" a car is based even on empirical things like a reliability record or performance, or subjectives like aesthetics. True car buffs know this and while they hold personal preferences, they dont go around ******* other peoples car for being "bad".

you need to calm down and stop being so defensive, because somebody bought something they like better than the LS doesnt mean they're automatically evil and need to go away......

oh, and he can post in the LS forum because he had an LS and switched to something else, not like it makes a difference, i post in other model specific forums all the time
Old 02-28-08, 09:59 PM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Bunch O Boso Zoku

I'm more qualified to speak "Ol School" and the direction Zoku is goin.
I lived 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2K's and current. Domestic.Oriental,Euro.
Currently I row a C5 Roadster 6 spd man., CLK 430 Cabriolet, Tahoe LT w/20's. AND I have my own 97 "CF2".
We used the Tahoe to tow home his Cressida. I have NEVER seen a car that old look so good. (Fantastic overall shape) Gramps was a machanic & it lived in a garage its whole life proir to passin on to gran d & loosin HG.
I have helped Zoku with the Drift setup on his AE86. I have carried tires to the track, helped wrench and watched him learn the art of Drift. I was the guy who did slotted/drilled rotors on his CF1 when he got sick and damn near died. Helped put a new windshield in his car. I bought Zoku's ride. I might keep it, sell mine. I might sell both his LS & mine.
What I feel is missing is character. Old school Comaradery. Anything goes!
Thats Boso Zoku Baby
Don't be Hatin'.
Keep an Open mind.
Feel The Love
Cause honestly; I'm not feelin' it here

Last edited by HaryGahtoe; 02-28-08 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 10:20 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

speaking of cressida I had a 86 that went 430,000 miles and I sold it for
2500.00 and it has passed 500,000 miles I used mobil one synthetic in everything ps rear end trans motor the only weak point on the car is the valve guide seals they get hard and start to leak oil and smoke. The inline six can run up to 600,000 miles plus it has been done. In 1998 lexus put a LS 400 motor in a couple of the cressida's and ran them in the around the US for test purposes this info was in a lexus book telling about the history of the lexus before lexus put the the 91 LS 400 on the road it was tested in Japan for about 4 years using 130 different cars for only test purposes finding all the weak points and any problem areas and correcting them. So today the lexus is the worlds best car bar none. MY 1990 LS 400 with 199,000 has not had any major expenses original hoses air condition rebuilt ps same radiator trans shocks ETC. Lets see a mercedes or BMW do that.
Old 02-28-08, 10:58 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Dude python......chill out, it's not even your life, or your car, or your generation... How is a teenager supposed to afford an old impala of some collector's muscle car???? and on top of that, times have changed. It's not all about "American Muscle" anymore, in fact, most imported V8's have signifigantly more power than American V8s and much more reliable on top. I myslef love to see a 69 Camaro SS or an Impala or an Old Mustang Mach1 or BOSS or bullit, chevelles, cuda's, challengers, GTO's, you name it!!

but I would NEVER own one in a million years, those are the cars you sit in a showroom and wipe down everyday even when there's no dust on them, plus if you find a cheap one...how is a young standup guy like Zokustyle supposed to afford to restore it???? Not everyone has the means for that.

If he's into some Old School sedan like the Cressida....get over it please! More power to him for doing something against the norm! That car could be a wicked sleeper and give your old old old American cars a run for their money....

FOR EXAMPLE: I own a 1997 Lexus LS400 Coach Edition fitted with a 4.0L V8 rated at 260hp/270ft lbs with a 4 speed auto and 138k miles. My sister owns a 2007 Ford Mustang GT equipped with a 4.6L V8 rated at 300hp/320ft lbs. matched to a 5 speed manual transmission with 14k miles. Today on a stretch of highway we both punched it next to eachother, from rolling at about 50mph.
I floored it, and she downshifted to 3rd and went WOT. Maybe she was too slow at shifting, maybe I got a head start, maybe she didn't really floor it all the way, but in the end, ALL EXCUSES ASIDE....YES I was pulling away from her. Point being, my 12 year old, 4 speed auto, +600lbs heavier, 40 less HP and 50 less ft lbs japanese sedan was/is/might be faster than her brand new "American muscle". I know my car isn't faster than everything, just trying to make an example. (plus how many American cars make it to 400k-500k miles with no MAJOR repairs??????)

And on another note the term "old school" is VERY maliable. Just as PureDrifter stated before. If you're born in a different era, old school is different. To me, being almost 23, makes the 80's and early 90's old school.

So when I get down to the brass tax of it. My point is, relax. My mother taught me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING". So if you hate Mr.Zokstyle's "Cressy Bessy" so much. Go find your hot rods and muscle cars. No one is making you look at his car and like it. He's just sharing his excitement with the community!

You're into old muscle cars? That's awesome. There are some sweet rides out there! Just try to respect other people and their likes/dislikes. I personally would NEVER buy a Cressida, and am not that big of a fan o' them, but I think it's cool he's going to do something to such an understated car, it's original, and awesome, and I love it!

Well did I get a whole page to myself or what???? hahaha

Last edited by jcrome04; 02-28-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 11:37 PM
KevinfrmSD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAha. I think you struck a nerve Zoku.
Old 02-29-08, 01:05 AM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Cressida...very cool, It reminds me of the older Nissan Maxima's that were RWD... A friend back in high school, had a Maxima.. I was just beginning to work on cars then.. I had never seen a multi port injected car.. That thing was a tank man. I have never actually seen the inside of a Cressida.. so when you get a chance you should post some pics of the inside and the engine bay..

I recently almost traded my LS for a 87 Mercedes 300 SDL...

Amazing that in 87 it has an airbag, 4 channel ABS, climate control. It was beautifull, one owner, all maint records, even the original sticker ($50,590), and had 528,000 miles on it... But decided I could not part with the LS... Also have no time for repairs... and if a Merc can be depended on for anything...its expensive repairs...

Enjoy your new ride... have fun with it... thats what its supposed to be about anyway.

Ken
Old 02-29-08, 01:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kens97sto
Congrats on the Cressida...very cool, It reminds me of the older Nissan Maxima's that were RWD... A friend back in high school, had a Maxima.. I was just beginning to work on cars then.. I had never seen a multi port injected car.. That thing was a tank man. I have never actually seen the inside of a Cressida.. so when you get a chance you should post some pics of the inside and the engine bay..

I recently almost traded my LS for a 87 Mercedes 300 SDL...

Amazing that in 87 it has an airbag, 4 channel ABS, climate control. It was beautifull, one owner, all maint records, even the original sticker ($50,590), and had 528,000 miles on it... But decided I could not part with the LS... Also have no time for repairs... and if a Merc can be depended on for anything...its expensive repairs...

Enjoy your new ride... have fun with it... thats what its supposed to be about anyway.

Ken
those things are built like **** brickhouses pretty close to if not equal to the LS except for the fact that parts are MORE EXPENSIVE and harder to come by
Old 02-29-08, 05:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

sheeeesh...all i was sayin was, the Ls is a great car period......lol
Old 02-29-08, 09:49 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zokustyle
easy pal, it's just the internet. i wasn't bashing you or your little LS, but why did you have to bash me and my defenseless cressybessy?

i'm just on these forums to know how to fix stuff that breaks.

not to look for movie buddies or long-term relationships.
oh my GOD...hahahah!

oh and hey....i've been googling cressida pics.....i see what you guys mean.....it's a really cool car! i guess i just never paid attention to foreign cars until i got my LS....i most always bought american cars.

Good luck with the car bud....make sure you keep us up to date with your progress!
Old 02-29-08, 11:07 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't bash the Cressidas anybody--they were practically the spiritual forebear of what we know as the LS.
Old 02-29-08, 10:09 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Now that Zoku's mentioned the Cressida, I've been noticing a few around town!
Old 03-29-08, 09:10 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
those things are built like **** brickhouses pretty close to if not equal to the LS except for the fact that parts are MORE EXPENSIVE and harder to come by
that's amazing. what's the mileage now ?
Old 03-30-08, 08:40 AM
drewkaree
Rookie

you'll know why, once you spend some more time here on CL.....

it's not the cars
Many people seem to like to pretend they're playing coy, or being nice by not saying something at all. It always fails miserably because the proper method to do such a thing is to not act like the gossipy woman at church who hints at things so she can pretend she's not the one causing problems.

If you had a point with what you were saying, as has been evidenced by others pointing out that you're so cryptic as to be nonsensical to them (not python, he's taken some personal offense to you for some reason, despite his protests).

Your entire point has been lost, and those who will chime in that they DO know what you're speaking of will now be playing pretentious, because you haven't given us anything to clarify what you're talking about.

At best, my guess is that since it's not the car you're referring to, you're referring to the people.

Now that that's all cleared up......

Quick Reply: got rid of my LS for this