Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices will be over $4.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 07:49 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it about time we start to drill the hell out of Alaska??!!
Old 02-27-08, 07:56 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipicanez
Isn't it about time we start to drill the hell out of Alaska??!!
Greenpeace would be all over it. Save the seals, penguins, polar bears, and the rest of its inhabitants lol.
Old 02-27-08, 08:01 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gas prices seem to go up and down with the wind, but when you really look at them long-term, they just aren't that expensive here in the U.S. For the most part, they have gone up (again, long, term) about the same as the general inflation rate.

The reason gas prices are more noticeable than other everyday prices is not they are extremely high, but because they are so unstable. And that is because, unlike other commodities we buy everyday, the source of crude oil (which gas is refined from) is undependable. That is why it is SO important for us to start drilling more on our own and building more refineries....and stop listening to the NIMBY crowd.
+1

closing at record highs...
and in addition to that a factory blew up last week
and not to mention that whole scare with venezuela...even though that kinda wore off...

But I think I would have to concur with gas prices continuing to rise...
What ever happened to the oil in Iraq...we are taking over their gov't we shud prolli rob their oil too!!

I bet Bush has a indoor swiimming pool filled with oil...shieeet...
Old 02-27-08, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

mmarshall

That is why it is SO important for us to start drilling more on our own and building more refineries....and stop listening to the NIMBY crowd.

Greenpeace would be all over it. Save the seals, penguins, polar bears, and the rest of its inhabitants
That was EXACTLY my point......are we going to listen to Greenpeace or common sense?
I vote for the latter, especially since drilling is NOT going to mean the extinction of Arctic wildlife.....that's just more of Greenpeace's nonsense.
Old 02-27-08, 08:14 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

actually im against drilling in alaska....i mean a lot of stuff in happening there already. global warming is causing all the vilages to move to more solid ground, species are dying off ,etc etc. if we drill there, then the natural landscape is really going to change forever.

im not hippie, but i dont think we should ruin somethin so delicate just for some oil.

i think we should use the money that would be spent on the oil refineries and use it to start thinking about changing our infrastrature to include hydrogen or some alternative fuel.
Old 02-27-08, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
actually im against drilling in alaska....i mean a lot of stuff in happening there already. global warming is causing all the vilages to move to more solid ground, species are dying off ,etc etc. if we drill there, then the natural landscape is really going to change forever.

im not hippie, but i dont think we should ruin somethin so delicate just for some oil.
Global warming, at least the part of it that is not nonsense (some of it is and some isn't) will actually help drilling by not freezing the ground to as great a depth. Mosquitoes, however, are terrible on the Arctic tundra in the summertime. Global warming (at least the part of it that is real) won't help that problem any....it may be tough to find people who are willing to work under those conditions.
Old 02-27-08, 08:28 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To say the least, people will keep complaining that gas prices are too high, and greenpeace or whatever organization will keep the US from trying to drill anymore of its own oil. I doubt either side would come to an agreement.
Old 02-27-08, 08:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Global warming, at least the part of it that is not nonsense (some of it is and some isn't) will actually help drilling by not freezing the ground to as great a depth. Mosquitoes, however, are terrible on the Arctic tundra in the summertime. Global warming (at least the part of it that is real) won't help that problem any....it may be tough to find people who are willing to work under those conditions.
Use of DDT will help solve the mosquito problem, especially in Malaria riddled Africa. The ban back in the 70's was a horrible mistake not supported by any credible scientific evidence of its hazards. It's all been debunked, with the loss of millions of lives due to Malaria.

Want to solve the high price of gasoline?? Build nuclear plants and use plug in hybrids. No carbon emissions, no foreign oil, no problem. Except the greenies don't like that solution either.

We deserve the government we vote for.
Old 02-28-08, 12:29 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Use of DDT will help solve the mosquito problem, especially in Malaria riddled Africa. The ban back in the 70's was a horrible mistake not supported by any credible scientific evidence of its hazards. It's all been debunked, with the loss of millions of lives due to Malaria.
DDT is still used in Asia and Africa for mosquito control - but it's going to be worthless since the mosquitoes are now developing DDT resistance. We have better pesticides than DDT now.
Old 02-28-08, 06:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Just checked UK prices at http://www.petrolprices.com/

Taking the highest price I just saw equates to about $9.30 a gallon!!! (Lowest about $7.60)
Old 02-28-08, 07:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in europe, do people have 50 mile commutes? i dont think they do for the most part. here however, many of us commute that far or more daily. that's why we complain so much. move into the city? sure...sounds great until you look at housing costs compared to the burbs.
Old 02-28-08, 07:35 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I'd rather pay higher gas prices knowing that some of it is going to pay off the US debt rather than just loading up oil company profits!
Old 02-28-08, 09:59 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About 1-2 weeks ago Premium was at $3.14 at the BP by my house and now it's up to $3.42
Old 02-28-08, 10:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
im not so sure about that....it would have more power, just like the LSH has more power than the LS460...but it wont outperform it. the weight of the batteries would kill the car
GM actually did something right for once. The Tahoe hybrid weighs exactly the same as the non hybrid. They used lighter seats, an alluminum hood, etc. to reduce the weight. This is the first hybrid that doesn't weigh more than the regular gasser.
Old 02-28-08, 03:13 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank the price fixing done by OPEC for the high prices.

In most, if not all free nations of the Western World what OPEC does is a felony.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices will be over $4.00