Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices will be over $4.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Thank the price fixing done by OPEC for the high prices.

In most, if not all free nations of the Western World what OPEC does is a felony.
You can't really "fix" the price of oil. There are too many variables, and supply/demand, in the end, usually wins out. The problem is, that since the early 1970's, both supply and demand have been highly unstable.....up one day, down the next.....so we just haven't seen much stability in prices. This has been made worsre by the fact that here in the U.S. we cannot control the supply because so much of it comes from abroad...and unstable countries.

The ONLY way we are going to get out of this mess, until the auto industry and the infrastructure is ready for alternate-fuel vehicles, is to produce MORE oil and MORE gas here at home. And if that means drilling in more places....so be it.

But, ultimately, in the end, even THAT will not be the permanent solution. No matter how much we, and other countries, drill and produce, the fact is that the world supply of crude is limited, and sooner or later, we will have to develop alternate fuels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 06:16 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ONLY way we are going to get out of this mess, until the auto industry and the infrastructure is ready for alternate-fuel vehicles, is to produce MORE oil and MORE gas here at home. And if that means drilling in more places....so be it.

But, ultimately, in the end, even THAT will not be the permanent solution. No matter how much we, and other countries, drill and produce, the fact is that the world supply of crude is limited, and sooner or later, we will have to develop alternate fuels.
Yes indeed but how long will that be? Over the last couple of years, we've all been fed little tidbits of what MAY be the next technology to lessen our dependence on oil. The whole electrical car thing was a complete bust. Trust me I know from experience. At my last job at the DEP, we had electric cars and even a electric Dodge Caravan. It was purely testing for daily use and did not go well at all. Next was the electric Toyota Prius hybrid which has done well. It's been several years since the first electrichybrid came out and there are not many out there compared to your standard all gas engine vehicle. So what's next, fuel-cell or hydro? Ethanol has also been a bust so far. It's made other things like dairy items pricier. I don't how much years we really are from this new technology that's suppose to ease the burden. Something gots to give. I filled up on my way home tonight which cost $54 and change.
Old 02-28-08, 08:15 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

New record - $103.05 a barrel
Old 02-28-08, 08:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

The Saudis must be laughing at us...
Old 02-28-08, 08:28 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why we haven't started spending more money on infrastructure and more convenient public transit system. Most if not all great cities in the world have it except here in the US. Highly populated areas like Los Angeles have the sorriest excuse for a public transit system I have ever seen. We rely too much on driving and are now paying the price.
Old 02-28-08, 08:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Firestone and GM killed public transit in LA a very long time ago by purchasing the trolley system and running it into the ground. It never recovered.

In the 1930s and '40s, General Motors, the Firestone Tire Company, Mack Truck, Phillips Petroleum, and Standard Oil of California--all operating through a front company called National City Lines (NCL)--bought up dozens of local mass-transit systems that were operating the popular electric streetcars. Their plan was to control virtually all the leading mass-transit systems in America, and replace electric trolleys with smoky, gas-guzzling buses. In many cases, these trolley transit companies had previously been financially looted by their financier owners and fallen into disrepair, which only made them easier targets for acquisition. Once NCL purchased the trolley lines with "borrowed" money from GM and others, the tracks were torn up and the trolleys sold or destroyed, replaced by petroleum-powered GM buses running on tires and oil supplied by the NCL companies.

NCL started with small cities in Illinois and Texas. Within several years, the company managed to devastate or destroy the trolley systems in some 40 cities, including Baltimore, Tampa, Los Angeles, Oakland, and Salt Lake City. Then, in the years that followed, the badly managed NCL bus companies disappeared as well, leaving no mass transit and, in many cases, no alternative means of transportation other than individual automobiles.

More info from Wikipedia with the opposing view's opinion.
When was the last time you considered riding the bus instead of driving your Lexus?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-28-08 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 09:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Just filled up today with 3.99$ :O
Old 02-28-08, 09:57 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Gas in Spartanburg SC 3.10 for Prem.
Old 02-29-08, 04:09 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Firestone and GM killed public transit in LA a very long time ago by purchasing the trolley system and running it into the ground. It never recovered.

When was the last time you considered riding the bus instead of driving your Lexus?
that is very interesting. i'v enever heard of that before. it all makes sense though.
i would definitely ride a bus or train to work if i had that option. living out in the country 24 miles from work in the city doesn't work too well though...
Old 02-29-08, 05:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can't really "fix" the price of oil. There are too many variables, and supply/demand, in the end, usually wins out. The problem is, that since the early 1970's, both supply and demand have been highly unstable.....up one day, down the next.....so we just haven't seen much stability in prices. This has been made worsre by the fact that here in the U.S. we cannot control the supply because so much of it comes from abroad...and unstable countries.

I was pointing out the intentional control of supply by OPEC being a felony in most western nations.

I do agree drilling for what we have available is a must, but deliberate output/production fixing by a group of companies is unlawful and spikes prices.
Old 03-01-08, 05:46 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
I don't see why we haven't started spending more money on infrastructure and more convenient public transit system. Most if not all great cities in the world have it except here in the US. Highly populated areas like Los Angeles have the sorriest excuse for a public transit system I have ever seen. We rely too much on driving and are now paying the price.
I say because of funding and the biggest reason of all, Americans wanting to use their own transportation.
Old 03-01-08, 07:46 AM
koji187
Rookie

i always hear that.. last summer it was supposed to be $5 or something.. looks like i'll be putting 20 batteries in the sc then when that time comes
Old 04-18-10, 02:59 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Old 04-18-10, 03:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

holy old thread revival batman...O_O
Old 04-18-10, 08:44 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

A couple of months ago I had heard speculation that gas would return to near $4/gal level this summer. But it really doesn't look like it's happening. Gas has crept up only slightly in the last couple of months.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices will be over $4.00