Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices will be over $4.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 03:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

because everyone can just buy a new car whenever gas prices go up to take advantage of new standards? Its irrelevant if you arent in a financial position to afford a new car.

im sure the Fed printing loads of money has nothing to do with $7 gas, but it will be blamed on the evil oil companies making profits.
Old 04-19-10, 03:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
@ $7.00 a gallon I won't have to hear anymore how evil the government is, imposing efficiency standards on the speed demon driving culture that we are.
I don't care if gas is $27 a gallon, I don't want the imbeciles in the government imposing the whole "efficiency standards" nonsense.
Old 04-19-10, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't care if gas is $27 a gallon, I don't want the imbeciles in the government imposing the whole "efficiency standards" nonsense.
It's actually more a factor of the world having finite oil reserves, more than simply just high price. If the world's oil fields run dry, it won't matter what the price of gas is....conventional cars as we know them will be unusable, unless gasoline and diesel fuel can be produced from alternate sources like oil-shale. That's why it's important to get started with alternative-fuel sources.

Now, that's not to say that the world's oil reserves are going to run out tomorrow, or even in the near future...particularly in Saudi Arabia with its enormous resources. But world oil production peaked in 1970 (ironically, BTW, the peak year for American muscle-cars), and, since then, more is being used than discovered in new sources. Simple math proves that it can't go on forever.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-10 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 03:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
If you look at his cars, you can tell his post was totally sarcastic.
Yep, But I cannot do anything about it, so might as well make lite of the situation.
Old 04-19-10, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Keeping my fingers crossed for $7.00 a gallon gas.
So are (probably) a lot of Prius drivers. They'll make a killing on the residual value of their used cars if it does.
Old 04-19-10, 04:09 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So are (probably) a lot of Prius drivers. They'll make a killing on the residual value of their used cars if it does.
Count my in-laws with that thought. Retired and drive perhaps 20 miles a week in their Prius.
Old 04-19-10, 08:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
because everyone can just buy a new car whenever gas prices go up to take advantage of new standards? Its irrelevant if you arent in a financial position to afford a new car.
And if you're not in that position?

Say in 5 years gas is $7 a gal. Okay, so someone who has the money for a new car can afford a new car that gets 35 + MPG. But what if you can't? Might as well get a jump start on the impending doom.
Old 04-19-10, 08:32 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

$7 a gallon would hurt many many people in the US's pocket. Even if you drive a car that gets 35mpg. For me that would be horrible to fill the car up, would almost not be worth it for how little I work now while in school. 7 X 15 = $105 for me. And that's only filling up at 1/4 of the tank left. I certainly hope it doesn't go anywhere near that price. They want to see unemployment rise, do that and you'll have plenty of people still in high-school dropping jobs, and folks who are still in college doing the same. I know that doesn't make up a majority of our society, but still it's a portion.
Old 04-19-10, 09:01 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it went up to like $8.00 in korea few years ago. when i was london i think the peak was around $7.50. right now i'm in Antigua, it's about $4.20
Old 05-03-10, 09:21 AM
siamiam
Driver

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_...20&id=7222100&
"The Alaska Public Radio Network reports that gas prices in McGrath rose from $6 a gallon to $9.20 a gallon over the weekend"
the price of gas is one thing but its also heating fuel prices which are having a big effect on many people
Old 05-03-10, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Still cheap by European standards, but, in my neighborhood, 87-Octane regular now averages $3.00 a gallon...up substantially from just a few months ago. It's probably somewhat more than that in CA, where gas is traditionally more expensive.

Seems obvious, though, that the current price run-up, in the last few weeks or so, is related to the Gulf oil spill, the media panic and its effect on oil-speculators, and the political prospect of Obama and Congress changing their minds on allowing more offshore drilling.
Old 05-03-10, 10:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About $3.20 for Chevron regular in Bay Area of CA, prices a bit less inland CA.
Old 05-03-10, 10:22 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

$12 a gallon is in our future soon lol
Old 05-03-10, 10:29 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

No they won't people will riot. 4.00 gas will crush us if it happens we will have to invade someone.
Old 05-03-10, 10:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sigh...do you guys know America holds the single largest oil reserve in the world?

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

The USGS estimate of 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil has a mean value of 3.65 billion barrels. Scientists conducted detailed studies in stratigraphy and structural geology and the modeling of petroleum geochemistry. They also combined their findings with historical exploration and production analyses to determine the undiscovered, technically recoverable oil estimates.

USGS worked with the North Dakota Geological Survey, a number of petroleum industry companies and independents, universities and other experts to develop a geological understanding of the Bakken Formation. These groups provided critical information and feedback on geological and engineering concepts important to building the geologic and production models used in the assessment.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices will be over $4.00