Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 VW Scirocco (updated pics pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 09:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 06-16-08, 09:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I want to see that car here. I like it a lot.
Old 06-16-08, 10:00 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the family guy ruins everything.
Old 06-16-08, 10:01 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updated: Volkswagen has announced that its new Scirocco coupe will go on sale in Europe this August with prices starting at €27,490 (approximately $42,576) for the base 1.4L TSI petrol variant with 120hp (90kW). The entry-level model also comes standard with 17in alloys, leather trim for the steering wheel and handbrake, sporty bucket seats, six airbags and a sports-tuned chassis.
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)

Thats pretty expensive for a hatchback.

Last edited by JessePS; 06-16-08 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 10:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

^ ahahahaha @ family guy pic

but hey, thats not bad for a small hatchback although IMO, scirocco needs to be edgier, needs to be more mechanical than organic looking
Old 06-16-08, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Love it!
Old 06-16-08, 10:18 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JessePS
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)

Thats pretty expensive for a hatchback.
only when you convert it to dollars. Which is why they wont sell it here...
Old 06-16-08, 10:31 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It is definitely different. I personally welcome this kind of different, as I would rather see more unique looking cars on the road. This Scirocco is definitely unique. I'd really have to see it in person to pass final judgement as to wheather I'd like it enough to actually go test drive one (if we ever get that chance in NA).
Old 06-16-08, 11:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i like the different look of it ... i wonder if Canada gets this one (not that i want one, but i'd like to see them around)
Old 06-17-08, 01:01 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Stupid design. All it needs is the Civic Si rear spoiler and you won't be able to see shyte.
Old 10-10-16, 03:31 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default VW Scirocco R Driven: The 280hp Unsung Hero Is Still Around

Few cars have left me with such a positive vibe in the past, and having the keys of a VW Scirocco R again after almost six years was like meeting a old friend.

A Little Bit of Perspective

The world was a very different place when the VW Scirocco R first made its appearance. We were still recovering from the shock delivered by the 305hp Ford Focus RS Mk2, still wondering how on earth can a car transfer so much torque on the tarmac through its front axle so effectively, when VW came out with the 265hp Scirocco R, using essentially the same powertrain with the Audi S3 minus the all-wheel drive.

Back then, the 265hp power figure was proven a tad pessimistic, with the car easily reaching the 300hp mark on the dyno while independent performance figures showed that the Scirocco R was every bit as quick as the fast Ford, at least on a straight line with the in-gear accelerations to be even quicker than its then nemesis.

I can still remember the group test we organized back then for the magazine I was writing for, with the Focus RS taking the overall win for its sharpest handling but we couldn’t feel but impressed by the sheer depth of the Scirocco R’s character: this was a FWD car that could give Ford’s finest a close run for its money and retain at the same time an everyday friendliness usually found in lesser Golfs.

But this is 2015

Fast forward to today, where I meet the Scirocco R again in a very bright green paintjob and wearing all the small updates from last year’s facelift, including a power figure which now stands corrected at 280hp. I still quite like the shape of it which remains sporty and attractive to this day until you step inside, where there is no escape from showing its age.

That’s because the interior comes straight from a Golf MK5, upon which the Scirocco was built in the first place. It still remains a hospitable place to sit in, with a spot-on driving position and the perfect ergonomics VW is famous for, but these three gauges that sit on top of the center console look cheap and out of place with the rest of the car.

On the Road

It doesn’t take long behind its wheel to remind myself why I was impressed the last time I drove one. The engine remains a gem to work with, having an exceptionally linear character for a turbocharged motor. You can deplete the revs, all the way up to the limiter and the Scirocco R will follow you without losing its breath or you can throw a sixth gear from 25mph and enjoy its elasticity. If you ever want to shut a N/A fanboy’s mouth, this is a very nice way to do it.

And yes, it remains a very rapid machine, gathering speed with an alarming and effortless way, transferring the power down on the road without any hesitation. The grip on offer is really really good for a car without a limited-slip diff. The electronic XDS system is working very well on the road in keeping the front end in line and frankly that’s all it matters. Even the hotter of the Sciroccos remains a polished road machine, albeit one with serious performance. Understeer will eventually present itself, especially if you keep your right foot pinned down on exiting slower corners, but it always remains easily controllable and progressive.

The electro-mechanical steering offers nice feedback, communicating with enough clarity and good precision what the front axle is doing. Whatever your pace, the friendly Scirocco makes you feel secure, transmitting the sense of a car that hugs the tarmac rather than digging into it.

The only thing left to criticize is the involvement which was never right there with the sharpest of the hot-hatches. That planted feel I was talking about on the previous paragraph also means that you can’t really play with the balance of the chassis, like you could with say, a Focus RS MK2.

Bottom Line

But since this is today we are talking about, the Scirocco R remains a truly enjoyable car, with all the real-world performance someone could ask for, blended with an exceptional everyday usability. Throw into the mix the coupe looks, forget about the dated interior and what you have is a mighty fast performance car you can live with, leaving outside all the usual compromises.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/vw-...sung-hero.html

Old 10-10-16, 03:32 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Review Points Out What’s New on the Facelifted VW Scirocco

Did you know that 75 percent of all VW Sciroccos from the current generation are powered by diesel engines? That’s quite an intriguing fact, given the model’s image as a sportier alternative to the Golf.

The Scirocco received a makeoverrecently and the folks from Carbuyerwanted to see what changed. Unless you cover many miles a year, Mat Watson recommends one of the 2.0-liter turbocharged petrol engines - the 220PS (217hp) version appears to be the safest bet for those who think the Scirocco R’s 280PS (276hp) and its firmer suspension are too much.

However, the reviewer points out that the Scirocco is not better to drive than a normal hot-hatch, but its coupe-like body style makes it less practical than the Golf GTI for instance.

So why would anyone buy the Scirocco over the Golf GTI – which is also offered in a sportier looking three-door version? Well, it appears that looks are the only reason. Scroll down to watch the review.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/rev...ts-new-on.html

Old 10-10-16, 03:33 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default VW Scirocco GTS Starts From €31,000 In Germany

VW has announced pricing for thefacelifted Scirocco GTS, which was unveiled earlier this month at the Shanghai Auto Show. The updated Scirocco GTS is available in Germany from €31,000 ($34,645).

The model is powered by a 220PS (217hp) 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, which is offered with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed DSG. In both cases, the VW Scirocco GTS covers the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint in 6.5 seconds, with top speed rated at 246 km/h (153 mph) for the manual model and 244 km/h (152 mph) for the dual-clutch version.

In terms of fuel economy, the manual Scirocco GTS is more efficient, averaging 6.1 l/100 km (46.3 mpg UK or 38.5 mpg US), equivalent to 142 g/km CO2. The DSG-equipped model returns 6.4 l/100 km (44.1 mpg UK or 36.7 mpg US), corresponding to CO2 emissions of 148 g/km.

The list of standard features for the VW Scirocco GTS includes red painted brake calipers, new 18-inch “Norwich” alloy wheels and the exterior R-Line package which consists of more aggressive bumpers, sill extensions, a roof spoiler and a diffuser. The front bumper also features integrated fog lights, while the grille gets a black gloss treatment.

Optional equipment includes 19-inch “Lugano” alloy wheels and body stripes, among other things. Inside, the Scirocco GTS gains GTS lettering on the door sills and a leather steering wheel with red stitching and GTS badge. Sports seats and the golf ball-shaped gear **** complete the package.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/vw-...-31000-in.html

Old 10-10-16, 03:34 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default VW Scirocco Gets Revitalized With New Black Editions

Volkswagen revealed a pair of new special Black Edition versions for their Scirocco coupe, set to offer greater value for the money and more distinctive styling cues.

The Scirocco GT Black Edition features a set of black 18-inch Lisbon alloy wheels, a contrasting black roof, door mirrors and rear spoiler as well as 90 per cent tinted rear windows added on top of the GT trim level.

The same applies for the R-Line Black Edition models, with the only difference to be the size and design of the wheels, with the Black Lugano alloys measuring 19 inches in diameter. The option for the Black Edition models is priced at £550 over the equivalent trim levels, which is significantly cheaper than ticking the options included.

The VW Scirocco Black Edition is available with two petrol and two diesel engine options: the 125PS 1.4-litre TSI, the 180PS 2.0-litre TSI, the 150PS 2.0-litre TDI and finally the 184PS 2.0-litre TDI. All engines bar the petrol 1.4-litre TSI can be paired with the option of a six-speed double-clutch DSG gearbox, with a manual six-speed one coming as standard.

Black Edition models of the VW Scirocco are available to order now, with first deliveries expected to start in January 2016.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/vw-...-with-new.html

Old 10-10-16, 03:35 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default VW Freshens Scirocco R With Black Style Pack

Eight years is a pretty long time for any mainstream car to be on the market, and what usually happens is that, automakers turn to special editions to keep interest in cars like VW's third-gen Scirocco.

Following its introduction in 2008, afacelift in 2014, and several special editions that came along the way, VW'sGolf V-based coupe has received some upgrades for the "R" version packed under the "Black Style" moniker.

Don’t expect any major changes because the Volkswagen Scirocco R Black Style only gets a black roof, which can be combined with Pure White, Urano Grey, Indium Grey Metallic, Rising Blue Metallic, Pyramic Golf Metallic, Ultra Violet Metallic and Oryx White mother of pearl effect body paints. It rides on black-finished 19-inch Lugano alloy wheels, which come with theft-protection locks, wrapped in 235/35 tires, with the package completed by black side mirror caps.

Volkswagen is asking €660, or $751 at today's exchange rates, for the Black Style package offered on the range-topper "R" hot hatch, which is powered by a 2.0-liter TSI unit, producing 280 PS (276 HP), up 15 PS (15 HP) from the pre-facelifted version, allowing it to cover 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.7 seconds.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/vw-...ack-style.html

Quick Reply: 2009 VW Scirocco (updated pics pg. 2)