Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts on financing (18 yr old)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 08:48 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on financing (18 yr old)

For my birthday my parents are going to LET me buy my own car, and the reason i think they aren't arguing with me is because they don't think I will actually go through with it.

Calculated so far I can make about 2-300 a week working part-time as a lifeguard.
The payments would be for 5 years 250-ish a month. (1 weeks paycheck)
(i would take the loan under my parents name and pay them)
They would pay for insurance however.
(plan to use this car during all of college + for a while after, so i prolly wont be modding it)

The question is: Anyone else buy their own car when they were younger, through a part-time job? I am pretty sure i can do this, but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried it, and how they ended up doing, (no problems, headaches, etc etc)
Old 02-28-08, 09:08 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

i havent bought my own car, but i financed rims once...and i was doing ok until i quit my job and was screwed. so if you can have a constant income rolling in, then go for it. and plus if you ever want spending money for w.e, your limited because all your money is going to the car.

but im sure if ur stuck ur parents would help you out...and you say your not going to mod it...but wait till you see another car just like yours with all the crazy mods on it, ur gonna be liike daaaamn i want that!
Old 02-28-08, 09:12 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

If you are a responsible person that won't skimp out on payments, then why not. If something goes wrong your parents can always help you out. Might I ask, what car are you planning to get?
Old 02-28-08, 09:14 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

well i its ONE weeks paycheck a month. So i will have about 6-700 for the rest of the month.
Old 02-28-08, 09:21 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

challenge yourself and see if you can put away one week's paycheck per month. if you can put it away without any issues for 4 months in a row, go for it and put that 1,000 towards the new car.
Old 02-28-08, 10:09 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cliffud
challenge yourself and see if you can put away one week's paycheck per month. if you can put it away without any issues for 4 months in a row, go for it and put that 1,000 towards the new car.
am doing that right now ;D
Old 02-28-08, 11:31 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if you can balance your time between school and your job, then go for it. i know a couple of people that dropped out of college because they needed to work more to pay their bills.
Old 02-28-08, 11:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

yea go for it, but what happens when the cold season hits new york and there's no need for life guards?
Old 02-29-08, 06:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Be prepared to be hit with a high interest rate $$$. First ime car buyer too boot? At age 18, there is not much of a credit history. Good luck
Old 02-29-08, 07:08 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Be prepared to be hit with a high interest rate $$$. First ime car buyer too boot? At age 18, there is not much of a credit history. Good luck
His parents would be getting a loan which means a lower interest rate.

What are you driving now?
My situation is about the same but I have a bunch of other bills to pay. Except I'm 21 with some credit and two part time jobs that total to about 1400 a month. I could afford a car but I decided to ride out on my parents vehicles until I'm out of college (or maybe hold onto them a little longer after college to save more). If your parents are willing to loan you a car through college I would do that instead. You'll save a ton more money for when you get out of college and be able to buy something you really want.
One of my jobs is a delivery job so I beat on my parent's car a lot. I've swapped my SC400 for a 95 ES300 for when I'm doing delivery, it's a lot easier to deliver in a sedan and better on fuel economy. I couldn't imagine doing the same thing on a brand new car I owned. My parent's are cool with me beating the hell out of the ES because they have 3 cars they could choose from to drive while I have the ES.
Good luck!

Last edited by Koma; 02-29-08 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-29-08, 07:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
His parents would be getting a loan which means a lower interest rate.
oh, I missed that he is using his parents credit.. Thanks..
Old 02-29-08, 07:32 AM
xioix
Racer

I am doing it now at 21, but if you can be sure your part-time job is stable, and that is what you want then do it
Old 02-29-08, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You can also consider a lease (especially if you are using your parents' credit). Leasing often allows you to get more car with the same monthly payment than you could get with a normal financed purchase. But, with a lease, you HAVE to take care of the car, and keep the miles down.....there are mileage limits (usually 10 to 15K a year) and wear-and-tear clauses. That means you can't take the car back at the end of the lease term with dents, scratches, rust, broken glass, or stained or ripped upholstery. So that means no partying in the car, no drag racing, and no other abuse. You also provide your own insurance.

But, if you are willing to acccept and keep the lease conditions, it can be a viable way to get a new car every few years.
Old 02-29-08, 10:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

At some point, you will have to "cut the cord", bite the bullet, and get a loan on your own. It should start now. I've been there and done that at the age of 19. I am much older now, and have been through many cars.
Old 02-29-08, 10:13 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man, I'm 19 and work full time pulling in about $400/week ... I financed my GS for 5 years paying $360/m for it, plus $280/m insurance and about $300-$400/m on gas ... This totals out to about $1000/m and i still have money left over to pay my other bills (phone, internet, credit cards). After all bills though I have maybe $200 left to spend on w.e I want. And yes I also go to school, at night after i get out of work. If your parents are taking care of insurance for you I think you can pull it out, but just be sure you have a steady job because alot can happen in 5 years.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on financing (18 yr old)