Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports lists its ‘Top Picks’ for 2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 05:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
That was the first thing I noticed when I sat in one. I was pissed
that the GS is SO much worse in that regard.
the 08+ GS460 get semi-aniline leather right ?
Old 02-29-08, 06:55 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
the 08+ GS460 get semi-aniline leather right ?
I am not sure. I have not sat in an 08 GS yet... Maybe I should try it,
but then again, I don't want to smoke another 25K
Old 02-29-08, 11:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Arguably, yes.....but some Jaguars and Rolls-Royces are also in the running.
Yeah, generally high end British cars have some of the finest high quality softest leather available. Some of the leather is so nice I would almost buy the car just for the leather, that is what high end British cars do best especially the soft Connelly leather. Some of the older Ferraris have some really nice soft leather too. One of the things I remember about being in an older Jaguar when I was younger was the smell and soft leather which I will never forget. I sat in the latest Rolls Royce Phantom and it had really nice leather too as well as nice thick carpeting. I believe Bugatti cars use super high quality leather too. Compared to the better British cars leathers most Japanese and German cars leather feel like sandpaper or cheap vinyl and you can barely smell the leather after a while.
Old 03-01-08, 05:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Compared to the better British cars leathers most Japanese and German cars leather feel like sandpaper or cheap vinyl and you can barely smell the leather after a while.
Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and even some non-luxury Japanese makes generally have pretty nice leather inside, but I am not impressed with the leather I have seen in many BMWs and other German-designed cars. DASHOCKER has argued, though, perhaps with some merit, that, while the BMW Dakota and Navaho leather may look and feel cheap like vinyl, it actually is thicker and more durable than the leather in Japanese cars.
Old 03-01-08, 05:50 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CR auto issue came in the mail yesterday and obviously has been read my someone in the Postal Service. I'll be spending the next couple weeks poking in it.
Old 03-01-08, 09:56 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps this will put to rest, once and for all, the negative comments about Hyundai from people who keep harping about the junk that Hyundai produced before the late 90's.
As witnessed right here on CL, it doesn't matter if Hyundai surpassed Lexus in every category, people would still dismiss them and remember them only for what they once were.

Hyundai's improvement pace is unprecedented. Looking at the last 15 years, Hyundai has made more developmental progress than any car company in history. I don't know how they're doing it.
Old 03-01-08, 10:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So according to CR, Honda makes the best cars overall sold in the US. At the same time, CR's 'top picks' of 2008 only has ONE Honda on the list. It has several Toyotas on the list. This does nothing but lower CR's credibility. If Honda makes the best cars overall according to CR, then there should have been several Hondas on this CR list.
Old 03-01-08, 10:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

"best cars OVERALL" is about ON AVERAGE (for ALL models), but having the most models on "2008 top picks" does not mean their AVERAGE for ALL models is the top I guess . . .
Old 03-01-08, 11:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
"best cars OVERALL" is about ON AVERAGE (for ALL models), but having the most models on "2008 top picks" does not mean their AVERAGE for ALL models is the top I guess . . .
Honda does not compete in that many market segments. Most of the major market segments are covered here by CR's 'top picks' and yet there is only one Honda on the list.

If we assume that best 'overall' means 'on average for ALL models' than *surely* Honda would have at least a few of the market segments covered.

We can even break it down car-by-car, segment-by-segment:

CR list --> market segment Honda equivalent:

Green Car: Civic Hybrid
Small Sedan: Civic
Family Sedan: Honda Accord
Upscale Sedan: Acura TL
Luxury Sedan: Acura RL
Fun to Drive: S2000
Small SUV: CR-V
Midsized SUV: Pilot
Minivan: Odyssey
Pickup Truck: Ridgeline

With the exception of the Element and Fit, I just listed the ENTIRE Honda USA lineup and a chunk of Acura's lineup. Only ONE Honda out of ALL of these vehicles made CR's list.

Originally Posted by Consumer Reports
Influential magazine Consumer Reports has come out with this year’s ‘Top Picks’ comparo, picking the best cars from ten different categories in a field that included over 260 vehicles.
I just don't see the logic here. Honda *on average* makes the BEST CARS OVERALL according to CR, so *on average* Hondas should be at the top of several major market segments, yet according to this CR 'top pick' list Honda is the best at only 1/10 major segments. These two releases from CR IMHO directly contradict one another.
Old 03-01-08, 02:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, and even some non-luxury Japanese makes generally have pretty nice leather inside, but I am not impressed with the leather I have seen in many BMWs and other German-designed cars. DASHOCKER has argued, though, perhaps with some merit, that, while the BMW Dakota and Navaho leather may look and feel cheap like vinyl, it actually is thicker and more durable than the leather in Japanese cars.
I have noticed hit and miss leathers on many Japanese cars. My parents TL and CL leather feels soft especially on the headrests and top of the seats and a few other parts but not as soft as the British cars I have sat in. My GS leather is dissapointingly rough/waxy, the only part that is fairly soft is the rear armrest, it just does not look or feel like fine high quality stuff. I have tried several methods to soften it up but really have not noticed much of a difference. The Japanese leathers seem to loose that leather smell pretty quickly where in most British cars that is the first thing I notice when getting inside is that rich leather scent even after they are a few years old. The new RL leather was pretty soft and the new Lexus LS460 seemed similiar but the newer GS and IS I sat in the leather was not that impressive and seemed more or less like mine except with less wear. Some German leathers like in some BMW and Merc cars are notoriously rough,stiff, like cardboard but it usaully responds much better to leather softening conditioners like Leatherique and can become fairly soft after a few applications, I noticed this on a 5 series that was treated several times with Leatherique.

Overall for all the extremely poor reliability and shotty quality of most British cars I do have to say they have the nicest highest quality leather interiors and usaully very good wood finishes too, that is where most of their charm is. Some Italian vehicles also feature really expensive high quality leather too especially some of the older Ferraris and a few of the newer ones. Japanese leathers are usaully decent but sometimes dissapointing and just not as nice as what they put in higher end British cars like Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Bently, Aston Martin.
Old 03-01-08, 02:42 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

glad to see lots of toyota's up there and I wasn't really surprized to see the LS460 up there either.... that car is amazing!
Old 03-02-08, 04:41 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Default Consumer Reports 11 worst cars of 2008

Yesterday Consumer Reports released its annual ‘Top Picks’ list of the best cars of 2008 and now we have a list of the worst contenders. Judges compared over 260 vehicles in this year’s evaluation and once again American SUVs dominated the field although there were a number of Toyota models, usually the strong players, at the bottom of the field as well.

The worst cars are as follows:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

The Wrangler Unlimited was characterised by its poor ride and handling as well as its subpar fuel-economy, fit and finish.

• Hummer H3 five-cylinder
Poor performance and fuel-economy as well as a low rating for handling and reliability ensured the Hummer H3 was at the bottom.

• Jeep Liberty Sport
Rated poorly for fuel-economy, NVH levels and fit and finish.

• Chevrolet Aveo5
The Aveo5 only suffered from poor acceleration and handling but compared to its rivals the South Korean hatch was the worst performer.

• Dodge Nitro SLT
One of the worst cars in the field, the Dodge Nitro SLT was rated as having poor ride, handling, braking, NVH levels and fuel-economy.

• Toyota FJ Cruiser
A work horse SUV that requires premium fuel and suffers from poor fit and finish and subpar ride and handling.

• Toyota Yaris

The Yaris is one of the most popular subcompacts in the world but its poor acceleration and vague steering meant it was one of the worst cars in this year’s compare.

• Suzuki Forenza
The Suzuki Forenza was rated poorly because of its inadequate acceleration, fuel economy, ride, and low results in the IIHS sidecrash result.

• Jeep Patriot Limited
Another Jeep model made the list of worst performance, once again for poor acceleration, engine noise, driving position, visibility, front-seat comfort and fit and finish.

• Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Poor handling, braking and fuel-economy ensure the Chevrolet TrailBlazer is at the bottom of the list.

• Mercury Grand Marquis

The ageing Grand Marquis rounds out the list of the 11 worst cars of 2008, and was picked because of its rough sounding engine, poor ride and fuel-economy and low IIHS side-crash result.
It is what it is.
Old 03-02-08, 05:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

• Toyota Yaris
The Yaris is one of the most popular subcompacts in the world but its poor acceleration and vague steering meant it was one of the worst cars in this year’s compare.

I love how so many auto journalists and other performance loving drivers put down cars that can achieve 40 MPG's (only a few cars can do it and the Yaris is one) because they have "poor" acceleration. They're fogetting what the car is set out to do. If you want to race, get a gas guzzler and pay the price. They seem to forget that it's FASTER than the Honda Fit that everyone seems to like though.

I've never heard Yaris and "one of the worse cars" in the same sentence before either. I guess when tester's drive premium cars all day, a $12K car is going to seem poor.
Old 03-02-08, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

I love how so many auto journalists and other performance loving drivers put down cars that can achieve 40 MPG's (only a few cars can do it and the Yaris is one) because they have "poor" acceleration. They're fogetting what the car is set out to do. If you want to race, get a gas guzzler and pay the price. They seem to forget that it's FASTER than the Honda Fit that everyone seems to like though.

I've never heard Yaris and "one of the worse cars" in the same sentence before either. I guess when tester's drive premium cars all day, a $12K car is going to seem poor.
The Yaris is an EXTREMELY well-built small car that would be ideal if not for those idiotic center-stack gauges that are put on simply for ease and low-cost doing both left and right-hand drive versions on the assembly line....despite Toyota's denial that it is just a simple cost-cutting move.
Old 03-02-08, 05:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Yaris is an EXTREMELY well-built small car that would be ideal if not for those idiotic center-stack gauges that are put on simply for ease and low-cost doing both left and right-hand drive versions on the assembly line....despite Toyota's denial that it is just a simple cost-cutting move.
I know many people don't like center stack gauges but it's mostly by people who haven't driven with them for anymore than one test drive.

I've read hundred's of consumer reviews (as a perspective shopper) and 95% of owners say they now prefer the gauges in the center and say it's easier to view. Even those that didn't like it innitially.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports lists its ‘Top Picks’ for 2008