Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What makes the ES and RX unLexus-Like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 10:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, this is the way I see it when it come to the ES. Lets say if you are chosing from the Lexus cars line-up, so there are you LS, GS, IS and ES. Lets say the money is not an issue to you at all. Well, you could chose LS if you like ultra luxury, you can chose the GS if you like a little sport and willing to trade some luxury, and of course you can get the IS if you want as much sport as possible while still having some luxury. Heck, if I was in such situation, I'd get all three. But then you have the ES, and the only good reason to get one is if you can't afford the LS. Jeremy Crarkson would probably say - "Nothing says a man has failed in life quite like the ES badge on the back of his Lexus".

As far as the RX, I simply fail to see the purpose of it, or any other "cute ute". It does not offer anything that a sedan doesn't offer, besides maybe the higher point of view, but it compromises on so many other things that I just don't understand why people even buy it.
Doesn't that rationale apply all manufacturers entry level cars?
Old 03-02-08, 10:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Doesn't that rationale apply all manufacturers entry level cars?
Depends. Like I said before, there are reasons other than cost to get IS over LS... or 3 series over 7 series. But when it comes to the ES, the only reason to get it over the LS is the cost. I don't think I can draw the same paraller between any other two models, besides maybe the older Mercedes E and S classes (W140 S class and W210 E class).
Old 03-02-08, 10:46 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

apply's to almost every car that isn't the luxury one, why get a e class, when you can get an s class, why get a 5 series when you can get a 7 series, why get a gs when you could get an ls. And the same between a gs350, and a gs460, or a 528, and a 545. Hmm well i guess it doesn't really matter if the es isn't lexus like or not, because i still love it
Old 03-02-08, 11:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmd93
apply's to almost every car that isn't the luxury one, why get a e class, when you can get an s class, why get a 5 series when you can get a 7 series, why get a gs when you could get an ls. And the same between a gs350, and a gs460, or a 528, and a 545. Hmm well i guess it doesn't really matter if the es isn't lexus like or not, because i still love it
No, you can get a 5 series over a 7 series because you like the handling of the 5 series, the same thing with GS and LS. Hell, you can even justify getting a GS350 over a GS460 - for one the 350 comes with AWD. But there's nothing besides the cost factor why one would get an ES over LS.
Old 03-02-08, 11:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
No, you can get a 5 series over a 7 series because you like the handling of the 5 series, the same thing with GS and LS. Hell, you can even justify getting a GS350 over a GS460 - for one the 350 comes with AWD. But there's nothing besides the cost factor why one would get an ES over LS.
thats just picking and chosing. Why would you pick 3 series over 5, if not for the cost?

ES competes with IS and GS. It has its merits. A lot of them.
Old 03-02-08, 11:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I'm guessing that of the 150,000+ people who decided to buy an ES over whatever (IS, GS, LS) since it came out, there were probably some factors other than just cost.
Old 03-02-08, 11:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats just picking and chosing. Why would you pick 3 series over 5, if not for the cost?

ES competes with IS and GS. It has its merits. A lot of them.
Well the truth is, most people who buy an entry luxury car, (IS, 3 series, C class), do it mostly because of the cost. However the 3 series does have some advantages over the 5 series - its lighter, more compact, handles better and it's quicker with the same engine options.
Old 03-02-08, 11:57 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well the truth is, most people who buy an entry luxury car, (IS, 3 series, C class), do it mostly because of the cost. However the 3 series does have some advantages over the 5 series - its lighter, more compact, handles better and it's quicker with the same engine options.
Not to mention that (at least for E46 v. E39 - I haven't looked at the newer versions), the 5-series interior dimensions were barely bigger than the 3-series. I know many people who picked the 3 because it was lighter and simply didn't see any reason to go for the 5-series. The only people I know who bought E39's got them for the bigger engines.
Old 03-02-08, 12:18 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what the misconception of the ES is...is that peopel get see the ES as just a camry...Granted. But what most of the Eastern part of the world doesn't know is the vehicles such as the LS-series, GS-series, and IS have twins is the Western part of the world...but only named as a Toyota. We dont get celsiors, aristos or altezzas...yet we get the camry, and to my logic, that is the only reason why people would call the ES non-lexus like. They believe its the only vehicle without its own platform.
Old 03-02-08, 12:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm guessing that of the 150,000+ people who decided to buy an ES over whatever (IS, GS, LS) since it came out, there were probably some factors other than just cost.
Well, if you comprare the ES to LS, can if you give me a single reason besides cost to get the ES?
Old 03-02-08, 12:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

hmm i think a reason to get an es over a gs is just, well liking it more, now im not saying anyone here is wrong, im just stating an opinion so no1 get mad at me my dad could have easily gotten a gs 300 when he bought his es, but he chose the es because it looked better, had better gas milage, and was just an overall better car for him, he liked the fwd. So for him, he wasn't just some guy who wanted the name, but actually liked what he was buying, now remeber, this was back in 2001 when the es and gs were very different from what they are now ( in either bad or good ways) o and for one, i would never cross shop an ls and an es, of course there is a reason for not spending money on a ls and on a es, the ls is almost twice the price. and finally let me get this straight, besides the es having the same platform of the camry, what makes it un lexus like ? and im talking over the past 18 years, not just the current one with has a multiple amount of problems, or the es250 which was a camry, but still a nice car
Old 03-02-08, 12:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

and if it were es to gs, some factors are, size, comfort, looks in some people's cases, not mine, mpg, and gas, which i am pretty sure the gs takes premium and the es can take regular, and at gas prices about to become 4 bucks a gallon, its a pretty good reason sorry, if i seem like im ranting, i love all lexus cars, im just curios
Old 03-02-08, 01:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

hmm i think a reason to get an es over a gs is just, well liking it more, now im not saying anyone here is wrong, im just stating an opinion so no1 get mad at me my dad could have easily gotten a gs 300 when he bought his es, but he chose the es because it looked better, had better gas milage, and was just an overall better car for him, he liked the fwd. So for him, he wasn't just some guy who wanted the name, but actually liked what he was buying, now remeber, this was back in 2001 when the es and gs were very different from what they are now ( in either bad or good ways) o and for one, i would never cross shop an ls and an es, of course there is a reason for not spending money on a ls and on a es, the ls is almost twice the price. and finally let me get this straight, besides the es having the same platform of the camry, what makes it un lexus like ? and im talking over the past 18 years, not just the current one with has a multiple amount of problems, or the es250 which was a camry, but still a nice car
and if it were es to gs, some factors are, size, comfort, looks in some people's cases, not mine, mpg, and gas, which i am pretty sure the gs takes premium and the es can take regular, and at gas prices about to become 4 bucks a gallon, its a pretty good reason sorry, if i seem like im ranting, i love all lexus cars, im just curios
Well the ES and GS/IS are very different, and have different purposes. So if there was no LS, then ES, GS and IS would all be very distinctive models. But with both ES and LS being in the Lexus lineup, the ES just becomes a budget LS.
Old 03-02-08, 01:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, if you comprare the ES to LS, can if you give me a single reason besides cost to get the ES?
Here's two:

You and I both know that just because one drives around in a (insert make & model) doesn't necessarily mean that they can afford the car.

There is a difference between not wanting to spend the money - And not being able to spend the money
Old 03-02-08, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There is a difference between not wanting to spend the money - And not being able to spend the money

I totally agree, LexBob. I could afford a $40,000+ car....and probably pay cash for it.......but unless there is a strong reason for doing so, I wouldn't put that much into a new car. Not when great products are out there at 25-35K.

(I do admit, however, that some cars in the 40-50K range I've seen and reviewed would be a real temptation, like the Acura RL , BMW 335i, and Infiniti M35/45.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-08 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: What makes the ES and RX unLexus-Like?