Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What makes the ES and RX unLexus-Like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
As far as the RX, I simply fail to see the purpose of it, or any other "cute ute". It does not offer anything that a sedan doesn't offer, besides maybe the higher point of view, but it compromises on so many other things that I just don't understand why people even buy it.
Well clearly you don't get it because hundreds of thousands do find a difference besides ride height.

One time we filled our poor RX300 with bales of pine straw. Got 10 bales in there I think. In a sedan we might have gotten 3 or 4.

When you load in big stuff you bought from a store it goes in so easy, no shoe-horning into a trunk if at all, or ruining the back seats. Ever bought any furniture? Heck even a bigger TV? Most you can't get in a sedan.

The RX is just very well designed, has Lexus feel without being too expensive.

About the ES - I was impressed with the first one, those guages with the white lit needles and the quietness and smoothness - I was blown away. Since then they only seem to me to have gotten worse.
Old 03-02-08, 07:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here's two:

You and I both know that just because one drives around in a (insert make & model) doesn't necessarily mean that they can afford the car.

There is a difference between not wanting to spend the money - And not being able to spend the money
Well, both of your reasons basically come down to cost, so you're basically reaffirming my point.
Old 03-02-08, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well clearly you don't get it because hundreds of thousands do find a difference besides ride height.

One time we filled our poor RX300 with bales of pine straw. Got 10 bales in there I think. In a sedan we might have gotten 3 or 4.

When you load in big stuff you bought from a store it goes in so easy, no shoe-horning into a trunk if at all, or ruining the back seats. Ever bought any furniture? Heck even a bigger TV? Most you can't get in a sedan.

The RX is just very well designed, has Lexus feel without being too expensive.
Well, if you're buying the RX for utility, then you're buying a wrong... er, I don't know if I can even call it an SUV. Sure, you can fit more stuff into it if you fold rear seats, but then you're losing seating capacity. If you don't fold the rear seats, its luggage capacity is nothing but pathetic. If I was buying an SUV, and the only reason I would buy one is if I needed utility, I would buy something substantially bigger. My personal choice would be an Acura MDX, which in my opinion is the best SUV on the road, both 1st and 2nd generations.

But when it comes down to the compromises that you have to make when chosing an RX over a sedan, it just boggles my mind why anyone buys it. So little to be gained over a sedan, and you have to settle for substandard handling, **** poor driving dynamics, cramped interior with minivan style handrests and shifter.
Old 03-02-08, 07:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, both of your reasons basically come down to cost, so you're basically reaffirming my point.
No, I was responding to your earlier comment when you said the only reason to get an ES was if you couldn't afford an LS.
Old 03-02-08, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Och, it is clear you don't like the ES, never liked the ES, never will like the ES. At this point, no reason to rehash the same point over and over, especially since we have many valued ES owners here.

The ES may not be a "magazine darling" but it has been either 1st or 2nd in sales in its class since 1992. Without the profitable ES, Lexus wouldn't have money for other projects.

I for one am happy Lexus decided to build a 9/10ths LS in the new ES, instead of trying to make a sporty ES. They now have the IS for that.

The new ES 350 has been said by Lexus to be superior in many ways to the first gen LS. That says a lot.

Old 03-02-08, 08:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
No, I was responding to your earlier comment when you said the only reason to get an ES was if you couldn't afford an LS.
My comment is actually a derivative of the notorious comment made by Jeremy Clarkson - "The only reason to buy a Porsche Boxter is if you can't afford the 911". My other comment, "Nothing says a man has failed in life quite like the ES badge on the back of his Lexus".is also a derivative of Jeremy Clarksons comment, when he was reviewing a CL600 or CLS600, he said - "Nothing says a man has failed in life quite like the 500 badge on the back of his Mercedes. Besides a Porsche Boxter".

These comments maybe be hilarious, but there's a lot of truth to them.
Old 03-02-08, 08:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Och, it is clear you don't like the ES, never liked the ES, never will like the ES. At this point, no reason to rehash the same point over and over, especially since we have many valued ES owners here.

The ES may not be a "magazine darling" but it has been either 1st or 2nd in sales in its class since 1992. Without the profitable ES, Lexus wouldn't have money for other projects.

I for one am happy Lexus decided to build a 9/10ths LS in the new ES, instead of trying to make a sporty ES. They now have the IS for that.

The new ES 350 has been said by Lexus to be superior in many ways to the first gen LS. That says a lot.
I thought this thread was specifically about what makes the ES and RX unLexus-like? So I'm just stating my point.

That being siad, I can't even honestly say I don't like the ES. Sure it may not be exciting, but if I was in the market for a family car, and my budget was around the cost of the ES, it would be my top pick. It's a sensible overall choice, and I dollar for dollar I don't see a better choice. However, if money wasn't an object, sorry, the ES wouldn't be on my list at all.
Old 03-03-08, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The ES330? Yes, maybe....it was a superb car, transmission flares aside (I almost wish I had bought one). The ES350? IMO, No way.
Old 03-03-08, 06:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Yeah, they are a bunch of re badge Camry called Lexus running around... Please do not bow gracefully from this thread,but keep it civilize as the higher class car owner as yourself would do....
Huh?? Nah, I don't need to bow out.. Unless you want to settle a case with me I did not imply that Lexus cars as a whole are rebadged Camry's buddy. There is nothing wrong with auto manufacturers using sucessful platforms to produce other models. GM, Ford, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes and many others do it. The internet at its best lol.. Heck, I had a 97 ES300 and posted about the oil sludge settlement here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...300+SETTLEMENT

Anywho, back to the topic at hand, there are some that believe that Lexus did not put in a great deal of effort in producing the RX and ES series do to quality control issues. Too many quirks with these two Lexus series which make it un-lexus like, along with the perception of hand me down engineering which is subjective at best.
Old 03-03-08, 03:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ might be true at the present,. but not back when lexus was really on the ball, back as in when of the models had major issues