Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

test drove audi a5

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 04:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
No naturally aspirated V6 can hang with the IS 350.
Not a G37??
Old 03-03-08, 05:55 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not a G37??
Good point!
Old 03-03-08, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Did the A5 you drove have the MMI controller on the console? I dislike that as much as BMW's I-Drive.

Hard to beat the DSG gearbox on VWs and Audis, though....it is superb, along with Audi paint jobs, brakes, and some of the interior materials.
Old 03-03-08, 10:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No naturally aspirated V6 can hang with the IS 350. The 335i with it's twin turbo can, but that's about it. IS 350 is king of the road IMO
Although discontinued, the NSX was actually a NA V6 as well in the 3.0L and 3.2L form.
Old 03-03-08, 10:17 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No naturally aspirated V6 can hang with the IS 350. The 335i with it's twin turbo can, but that's about it. IS 350 is king of the road IMO
Uhhhhhhm.....

Several manufacturers make worthy if not stronger N/A V6's friend. PORSCHE comes to mind
Old 03-03-08, 10:32 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Uhhhhhhm.....

Several manufacturers make worthy if not stronger N/A V6's friend. PORSCHE comes to mind
I'm sure he is talking about direct competition. Porsche doesn't really have anything in the 335, IS350, etc bracket.
Old 03-03-08, 10:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aristo300
The S5 will blow your doors off though. Next time compare cars that are competitors.

All Lexus cars are slightly behind in performance compared to the competition. The IS-F may be the only exception to date, but the M3 and future RS5 will have something to say about that.
The S5 is even *less* of a GS competitor than the A5 is. Besides, we should wait until the IS Coupe comes out to compare it to the A5.

Once again, RS5 will *not* compete with M3 sedan or IS-F. RS5 will be competition for M3 Coupe and (if it comes to production) an IS-F Coupe. RS4 is direct competition to M3 sedan and IS-F.

Also your point is a little ignorant. The 335 is the *only* car in it's class that's faster than an IS350. IS350 is faster than CTS 3.6L DI, faster than a G35, faster than C350, faster than A4 3.2L, faster than TL. Before the 335i came out, IS350 was fastest in the class. G37 does not compete with IS350, but G37 is still not faster than IS350.

IS350 can do 0-60 in 4.9/5 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.1/13.2 sec. Some owners have done that. Only car faster than that in the class is 335i.

Not directly. We will have to wait until the new A6 is released for true competition. It should be faster though. Then the RS6 will def blow away the V8 model GS. Everyone's "new model" is released on staggered years to help in sales. I'm not saying they are better overall cars, but the topic is performance from what I can tell.

Um, BMW 335, C63 AMG, & Audi S5. All faster, check. All handle better, check.

RS6 will not compete with the GS460. RS6 competition would be a GS-F if it ever comes out. GS460 competition would be S6.

As for the M3 vs IS-F, M3 is a hair faster in straight-line speed, and skidpad numbers, but IS-F runs a faster slalom speed than M3. I call it a tie.
Old 03-03-08, 03:27 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Within, the next 10 months, either the S5 or A5 will be my next car.

To paraphrase what a wise man once said: "Throughout your life, many things will appeal to your logic, some will appeal to your heart, and a very select few will appeal to your soul ... pursue those."

After a rigorous search that included repeated and prolonged drives of the G37, IS350, 335i, RL, GS350 and both the A5 and S5, I have decided that the only car that has grabbed me by both ***** and still hasn't let go is the A5/S5. I can only think of two other cars in my life - the 2nd Gen Legend Coupe, and the 2nd Gen GS, both cars I've owned in the past - that have given me that type of feeling. It's not quite perfect (particuarly the cabin tech) but I am in love with this car ... every single time I see or think of it.

I really, really want the S5, but I'm unwilling to buy it in its currently available format, which is a 6-speed manual. The tiptronic version is supposedly available but EXTREMELY hard to come by. If that pursuit becomes too ardous of a task, I will settle on the A5.

You can call me smitten ... like this dude (I'd venture to say he's actually been making love this car ever since he got it):

Photo: http://public.fotki.com/S5BlackPhant...black-phantom/
Video: http://youtube.com/user/S5BlackPhantom
Old 03-03-08, 03:56 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Originally Posted by jentlemaan
... Handling is definitly a plus if equipped with the quatro system <snip>
... The a5 also has the most ignorant moon roof that doesnt slide but only tilts. <snip>
... Navi system <snip>
The quattro is standard on both the A5 and S5.

Yes, I wish the moonroof would slide open (it only tilts up), but remember it is not a normal moonroof. It is oversized - easily 1.5x the size of a GS moonroof. There is nowhere for it retract into. Having said that, I wish they would have given us an option of a normal sized moonroof for those who like the open air. The GM at the dealer was trying to explain to me that moonroof was a late stage design to comply to certain US regulations and requirements. Pretty big design issue, but not a deal breaker. The view from that thing is magnificent.

The MMI could definitely be better. I work in software and cutting edge tech is something I'm a fan of and this is probably the biggest letdown on this car. The processor speed on the MMI is much improved on the A5/S5, but the resolution of the center screen is not on par with the GS, or even as the resolution on the gauge cluster of the A5/S5 itself, which, on some of the options like audio, and phone, is duplicated on the gauge cluster (a very impressive feature I've never seen done on any car to the extend it is here). The UI in general is pretty intuitive; I would just prefer a different color scheme and as I mentioned, higher resolution. Also, I don't really get why people complain about the i-Drive; I think it's an excellent system.

The iPod interface - both in the center console and in the duplicated gauge cluster, is exceptional. I thought Infiniti's iPod interface was the best on the market, but not anymore. Additionally, the Bang & Olufsen option is spectacular. It doesn't quite match the ML Reference system in the LS, or the Bang & Olufsen in the A8 (which includes retracting speakers that auto-swivel 180 degrees), but it's hands down superior to the ML in the IS and GS - even when those systems are reproducing DVD-Vs or DVD-As.

Not a perfect car - it has a few desgn flaws - but overall it's as close as I've seen in the $40k and $50k ranges. Btw, I don't (and have never) really known much, or cared about Audis until this pretty thing caught my internet searches this past summer. It's now got me hook, line and sinker.

Last edited by spiralynth; 03-03-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 04:47 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
RS6 will not compete with the GS460. RS6 competition would be a GS-F if it ever comes out. GS460 competition would be S6.

<snip>.
Wait till the A5/S5/RS5's big brother: the A7/S7/RS7.

Old 03-03-08, 06:57 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

The S5 is even *less* of a GS competitor than the A5 is.
My post from earlier:

Car models aren't competitive based solely on number of cylinders. Every car companies breakdown of the model ladder is different. Let me illustrate:

A5 vs IS250
S5 vs IS350
RS5 vs IS-F

328 vs IS250
335 vs IS350
M3 vs IS-F

C300 vs IS250
C350 vs IS350
C63 vs IS-F

Your IS350 is king of the road in your own dreams. God forbid you pull up next to one of the competition.

The only competitor the IS350 is faster than MAY BE the C350, but I don't have any numbers on it.
This illustrates the competition. The fact that the IS coupe has yet to come doesn't exactly change this.... considering the 335 sedan and S4 sedan are just as fast as there coupe counterparts.
Old 03-03-08, 08:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

My post from earlier:

This illustrates the competition. The fact that the IS coupe has yet to come doesn't exactly change this.... considering the 335 sedan and S4 sedan are just as fast as there coupe counterparts.
Going back to what I said, the only car in the class faster than the IS350 is the 335i. The A5 is in a similar but not same class.

S5 also isn't in the same class. S5 is closer to IS-F competition, and an IS-F will easily beat an S5 performance-wise.

IS Coupe is not out, but it's coming and a more direct comparison can be made then.
Old 03-03-08, 08:50 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

The S4/S5 is a IS350 competitor, I know you considered me wrong when I said the RS5 is the IS-F's competitior, but find something that proves me wrong!
Old 03-03-08, 09:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The S4/S5 is a IS350 competitor, I know you considered me wrong when I said the RS5 is the IS-F's competitior, but find something that proves me wrong!
S5 has a V8 and a starting MSRP of 50K. Sorry but that does NOT compete with an IS350. IS350 is an entry-level luxury sedan, and it competes with a bunch of other entry-level *V6* sedans. S4 also does not compete with IS350 because it has a V8 vs. the V6 in the IS350 and has a much higher MSRP than IS350.

Audi's S-Line competes with the Lexus F-Line, BMW M, AMG, etc.
Old 03-03-08, 11:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

S5 has a V8 and a starting MSRP of 50K. Sorry but that does NOT compete with an IS350. IS350 is an entry-level luxury sedan, and it competes with a bunch of other entry-level *V6* sedans. S4 also does not compete with IS350 because it has a V8 vs. the V6 in the IS350 and has a much higher MSRP than IS350.

Audi's S-Line competes with the Lexus F-Line, BMW M, AMG, etc.
I disagree. The Audi RS line competes with the M, Lexus F-line and AMG. The S line competes more with a fully loaded 335 than it does an M. By the way, a fully loaded 335 costs $50k (yes...hard to believe). A fully loaded IS350 costs ~$47k and a S5 costs ~$50k...i don't see why those 3 cars don't compete? No cylinder count doesn't matter because one of those cars is boosted.

The Lexus F-line, BMW M, AMG, and Audi RS4 all are about $70k loaded...i think there are better cars in that price range than those if you want sport...

Quick Reply: test drove audi a5