Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson about the LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 10:59 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson about the LS600hL

.....And so, eventually, we arrive at the door of the Lexus LS600h. In many ways, it is even more forgettable than the Phaeton. You could easily buy one and get home to find you already have one in the garage. But the toys - wow! It'll even self park, if you have a month or two to read the instruction book. And you're young enough to understand it - i.e. you're 12.

It is also extremely quiet, fast and by all accounts, built to an even higher standard than the Mercedes. But the best thing is that little "h". This means that buried deep in the car's underbelly, it has a hybrid drive system.

You don't know it's there. It never makes itself felt. But it means you can sail right past Uncle Ken's congestion cameras without bothering to pay. And that is taking the ****.

No really. There's something sanctimonious about a hybrid Prius which you buy exclusively to show the world that you're, like, 'green', man. But with the Lexus, you are buying a large luxury saloon that chews fuel and consumes whole housing estates when you turn it on. Not paying the congestion charge is a side effect.

In other words, you're playing the system. Beating bullies at their own game. It's not perfect, but it did something that's rare in the world of luxury saloons. It brought a smile to my face.
it's not really a full review, but his rant on the automotive landscape in Top Gear Magazine about luxury sedans. Full article can be found HERE
Old 03-02-08, 12:53 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol 75% of the review didnt even mention the lexus. i love clarkson! lol
Old 03-02-08, 03:00 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares what Clarkson says? He's one of those journalists who's a failed race car driver. Give him a go kart over a LS600hL and he'll be very happy.

Coming from London he should know how impressive the LS600hL is. 219 g/km of CO2 pollution from 440 horses? There is no other car on the planet that comes even close. Lonond is about to put a HUGE tax on all cars that pollute more then 225 g/km. The LS600hL is the only car above 250 horses that doesn't get the tax. And it has 440 horses. Clarkson should know that.
Old 03-02-08, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
Who cares what Clarkson says? He's one of those journalists who's a failed race car driver. Give him a go kart over a LS600hL and he'll be very happy.
Some of the microcars running around in Europe and Japan aren't much different from go-karts.

Just not being successful at being a race driver does not mean one cannot review cars. Take Patrick Bedard, for instance, of Car and Driver magazine. He was C&D's driver in some races that the magazine entered and prepared cars for, but was generally not successful with those cars. Yet, as an automotive journalist/columnist/auto reviewer, he, IMO, is one of the best and smartest in the buisness, even though I don't always agree with some of his postions on speeding and insurance.

Nevertheless, I agree that Clarkson is one of the automotive journalists that do not impress me either. He talks about too much irrelevent and extraneous stuff rather than the vehicle itself.

The LS600hL is the only car above 250 horses that doesn't get the tax. And it has 440 horses. Clarkson should know that.
How about the GS460 Hybrid? That's over 250 HP, I believe, at least in American trim.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 05:02 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ren495

he was always a journalist enthusiastic about cars--he never attempted any formal racing. (Besides the amazing fiasco with the their diesel Britcar entry)
Old 03-02-08, 05:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Clarkson, but he really only has full appreciation of the fastest, best handling sports cars available - like Ferrari, ect.. The LS isn't the car for him.
Old 03-02-08, 05:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I like Clarkson, but he really only has full appreciation of the fastest, best handling sports cars available - like Ferrari, ect.. The LS isn't the car for him.
iirc he was in love with the damned Citroen Belingo for a while....

for the record, its this.

he did a whole bit where he took it to france and bought a (bottle) load of alcohol
Old 03-02-08, 07:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

clarkson also loves hot hatches.

he appreciates soulful, fun driving...not always the fastest and most expensive.
Old 03-02-08, 07:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hehhee, he actually reviewed the car!
Old 03-02-08, 08:33 PM
LexFather

I love Clarkson, he actually thought the 450h was decent as well.

Old 03-02-08, 09:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nevertheless, I agree that Clarkson is one of the automotive journalists that do not impress me either. He talks about too much irrelevent and extraneous stuff rather than the vehicle itself.
Well, Jeremy is very entertaining, but you can't always take him serious. He could be reviewing any car, and whether I have any interest in that car or not, I'd watch/read his review just because his reviews are generally hilarious. For instance if Edmunds was to review lets say the new Corolla, I wouldn't bother reading it, because I couldn't care less about the Corolla, but I'd watch Clarkson's review for the humor. However, if I was interested in buying a particular car, I wouldn't make my decision based on Crarksons review, I'd rather turn to Edmunds review, or one of your own.
Old 03-02-08, 11:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I love Clarkson, he actually thought the 450h was decent as well.
Well he hated it at first (when it appears in the news section of the show). Said it'll never get the mileage blah blah blah (whatever he said about the Prius applies to the GSh).

Then in a later show, few seasons later, he says he loves it because it's free of the congestion charge. (again in the news section of the show)

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
iirc he was in love with the damned Citroen Belingo for a while....

for the record, its this.

he did a whole bit where he took it to france and bought a (bottle) load of alcohol
Whoa that's a long time ago, season 1 I think?