Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Protect your VIN numbers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 11:50 AM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protect your VIN numbers.

I got this from another forum and thought I would share.

Here is info worth the price of your car....WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

Sorry if this is a Re-post but I felt the need to share this important information.
Old 03-03-08, 11:53 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

You've got to be kidding me. Thank god for smart keys.
Old 03-03-08, 11:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not too much of an issue with Lexus cars. I know for my GS a duplicate key will not work, even if it's freshly cut. It has to be programmed and the only way you can program it is by having the key coded through the ignition keyhole. You must also have an already programmed key to do this.

However, I went to get a new key made for my dad's old camry and the parts guy didn't even check for ID. He just took the VIN and made a new key.
Old 03-03-08, 12:02 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

With the newer cars this may not be a problem but for older lexus models (like mines) or other cars in general it maybe a problem. Also it doesn't hurt, just a precaution.
Old 03-03-08, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
You've got to be kidding me. Thank god for smart keys.
Um so what happens when a smart key is lost? Can't the dealer make a smart key out of a VIN too? What additional info would they otherwise require?
Old 03-03-08, 12:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For lexus, make sure you don't lose your master key!!!

I always use something to cover my VIN#, I knew people can get a key by VIN#. But usually Dealer checks your registration before they cut it, but who knows, what if they have connection with a shop or know the ppl in the dealership??
Old 03-03-08, 12:35 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for sharing...
Old 03-03-08, 12:38 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Old news!

I cant believe you did not know this! As far as I can remember you could do this for any Toyota vehicle, NO questions asked!

On the new models you cant start the car but who cares? Once a thief has access to the inside they have access to everything else.
Old 03-03-08, 01:41 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Many years ago, I was helping a friend move across town and he locked us out of my '97 LS400. I went to the dealership to get a key re-cut, and since my service guy wasn't in, no one there knew me. They photocopied my driver's license and checked that the car registration matched with the DMV before issuing me the key. I'm amazed that any dealer would just give out keys if some random guy came in and gave them a VIN#... that's shocking.
Old 03-03-08, 01:46 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure my Dodge dealer requires proof of ownership and VIN before they even consider making a new key.
Old 03-03-08, 01:50 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOt only that a Lexus has to be made by Lexus not the dealer and its expensive.
Old 03-03-08, 02:15 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

what the hell? everytime I needed to get a key made they ask for registration and my drivers license. some dealers would only cut for the registered owner....and that sucks since none of my cars are in my name.
Old 03-03-08, 02:41 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Same here - my local dealer wouldn't even make a key for me when I showed them that I held the signed pink slip to the car (wasn't transferred to my name yet).
Old 03-03-08, 02:44 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably only to careless dealers

bmw and lexus dealers here both require driver license & registration info (only will cut keys to registered owner)
Old 03-03-08, 05:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It's done here in Mexico, which is a reason the local government here got smart and required 2008 vehicles to have a locater device standard.

Quick Reply: Protect your VIN numbers.