Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is there going to be a GS-F as well?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 09:12 AM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there going to be a GS-F as well?

Just curious. BMW has M5, MB has E63 and Audi has RS6 or something. Will Lexus go further into performance arena?
Old 03-05-08, 09:18 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
Just curious. BMW has M5, MB has E63 and Audi has RS6 or something. Will Lexus go further into performance arena?
Lexus will have a GS-F.
Old 03-05-08, 09:30 AM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Lexus will have a GS-F.
I had a conversation with some dude today, and he was quite negative about it. His opinion is that Lexus knows going after performance market is quite worthless to them. But it would be awesome if Lexus approves GS-F.
Old 03-05-08, 09:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unicorn coming to life? No test mules to date.. I hope this car comes to life.

2012 Lexus GS-F: Toyota to build a V-10-powered M5-fighter

By Todd Lassa
Art By Damon Moran
Take the 500-plus-horsepower, Formula 1-inspired sub-5.0-liter V-10 slated for the 2010 Lexus LF-A supercar, drop it in the body of the all-new 2011 GS sedan, and what've you got? The 2012 Lexus GS-F. Watch out, BMW M5, Audi RS6, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, and 2009 Cadillac CTS-v!

Details are sketchy, but engineers are said to be protecting the next-generation GS to be able to package the supercar's V-10. The GS-F apparently hasn't been approved for production. It would be a good idea, though, and not just for enthusiasts. It would cut engine costs through higher volume than by building it just for the exclusive supercar.

This also is official (kind of) notice that a V-10 has emerged as the engine Lexus will use in its supercar. Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8. The new V-10 was to be Toyota Formula 1-based, but that series now uses a V-8, and the street engine has been developed with diminished connection to the racing engine.

The GS-F, if approved, would hit the streets about a year after an all-new GS scheduled for the 2011 model year. Expect visual mods similar to those of the forthcoming V-8-powered IS-F. Transmission is likely to be the eight-speed automatic from the LS 460, modified to allow full manual mode via paddles and ultrafast shifts.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...012_lexus_gs_f
Old 03-05-08, 09:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Even if they decide to produce a GS-F, it won't be until the next generation imho, which means it will be a few years away ...
Old 03-05-08, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

2012??
Old 03-05-08, 10:26 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Wouldn't mind an SC-F, even based on the current platform
Old 03-05-08, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Even if they decide to produce a GS-F, it won't be until the next generation imho, which means it will be a few years away ...
king of what i think as well, especially the facelift 3gs is already out

together with the is coupe and convertible coming out soon, the gs-f might be a bit later (and i think there will be one)
Old 03-05-08, 10:35 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have faith in Lexus, I believe they will release the GS-F. Since it is still years away from going into production, hopefully I will be making enough money by then to afford one .
Old 03-05-08, 10:37 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus hasn't announced the engine, or even made the supercar official, but Toyota was said to be considering either the V-10 or a twin-turbo version of the LS sedan's V-8..
Since when? Lexus never said anything about a TT V8, they said they were going with a high rev V8 or V10.

Transmission is likely to be the eight-speed automatic from the LS 460, modified to allow full manual mode via paddles and ultrafast shifts.
The LF-A has been confirmed by Lexus to use a SMG type transmission, if they're going to use the LF-A engine they'll use the LF-A transmission. Well the LF-A concept has been confirmed to use a SMG transmission.
Old 03-05-08, 10:39 AM
LexFather

Lexus internally has stated the IS-F is a living test mule to see public reaction, and sales reaction. A business case has to be presented for the GS-F as well.

Image wise, IMO, its a no brainer. That segment is tougher and tougher and it would be a great halo to the GS brand.

Old 03-05-08, 10:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Wouldn't mind an SC-F, even based on the current platform
No chance IMO . . .
Old 03-05-08, 10:42 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully Lexus will release the GS-F.

Lexus has always been known for it's reliability and luxury, but the fact is that its main competitors all have a high performance division. The L-Tuned experiment was a joke, but the IS-F looks promising as it has been well-reviewed.

I guess the potential release of the GS-F might depend on the success/failure of the IS-F. The M, AMG and RS brands all have established reputations. It'll be interesting to see whether the public will accept the image of a high-performance Lexus. Here's hoping for the best.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 03-05-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 10:45 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
I had a conversation with some dude today, and he was quite negative about it. His opinion is that Lexus knows going after performance market is quite worthless to them. But it would be awesome if Lexus approves GS-F.
That's his, "some dude"'s opinion. Whether or not it's "worthless" is not based on just the sales volume of this niche car, but the effect it has on the brand image as a whole. With all the (mostly) positive IS-F reviews coming out, the tone towards the brand on many traditionally anti-Lexus/Japanese forums is already showing clear signs of change for the better.

Lexus would not market the whole "F" line if it did not intend to apply it to more models in the lineup, the GS being one of the most obvious choices (hopefully right after the LF-AF and receiving its engine).

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-05-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 11:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Hopefully Lexus will release the GS-F.

Lexus has always been known for it's reliability and luxury, but the fact is that its main competitors all have a high performance division. The L-Tuned experiment was a joke, but the IS-F looks promising as it has been well-reviewed.

I guess the potential release of the GS-F might depend on the success/failure of the IS-F. The M, AMG and RS brands all have established reputations. It'll be interesting to see whether the public will accept the image of a high-performance Lexus. Here's hoping for the best.
Exactly. It takes time. The BMW M1 wasn't exactly a success. The M3 came and has evolved for 25 years. It was only M3/M5 until recently with the addition of the M6.

AMG was SEPERATE to Benz until Benz bought them in the early 1990s and the C32 was produced. So again, they have 16+ years together to exapnd their lineups.

I saw an AMG sales/model chart the other day and its AMAZING how many they sell today, compared to 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Is there going to be a GS-F as well?