Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reveals NSX, CR-X, S2000 plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 06:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Honda reveals NSX, CR-X, S2000 plans

Honda reveals NSX, CR-X, S2000 plans

Posted on Thursday 6 March 2008

Ten years ago the world was rich in Japanese sports cars. Skip forward today and the true Japanese sports car has become a rarity, with the Nissan GT-R being the most noteworthy example of late. Japanese automotive powerhouses Toyota and Honda have both been found lacking in this area, Honda having had no real sports car since the S2000, with the Integra and Civic Type-R completely lacking the caliber of Honda sports cars of the past. Honda is now planning to revive its famous nameplates from the past, going for a strategy that will cover the low, medium, and high-end sports car market.

When it comes to Japanese supercars, no discussion can end without mention of the famous NSX. Promised to be a competitor to established Europeans like Ferrari and Porsche, the next-gen model is aiming to join the ranks of the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A in a trio of Japanese glory. While a design is still uncertain, power is aimed at being over 500hp with all-wheel-drive and four-wheel steering added for high-speed cornering abilities according to Honda chief Takeo Fukui. Expect this to hit the streets around 2010.

For those who liked the CR-Z concept, a new CR-X based on this will make an appearance in late 2009. The car’s development is apparently already 90% complete and will be an exciting prospect mixing both sports and hybrid ideologies. Power figures are still yet to be decided but rumors of 250hp+ seem to be likely.

Lastly, Honda’s only current sports car, the S2000, is still around but is definitely at the ***-end of its shelf life, with last-minute special-editions released to help spike sales (think S2000 Type S and S2000 CR). It seems that the company executives are still undecided on whether the replacement should be more about horsepower or agility, but expect nothing for at least 18 months.
source with pics
Old 03-06-08, 07:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical Honda talk, and typical Motor Authority story that takes a rumour and runs with it .

Promised to be a competitor to established Europeans like Ferrari and Porsche, the next-gen model is aiming to join the ranks of the Nissan GT-R and the upcoming Lexus LF-A in a trio of Japanese glory. While a design is still uncertain, power is aimed at being over 500hp with all-wheel-drive and four-wheel steering added for high-speed cornering abilities according to Honda chief Takeo Fukui. Expect this to hit the streets around 2010.
If a design is STILL uncertain, how could it possibly hit the streets by 2010?

If you believe all the talk, by now the new NSX should have been out already, Acura should have been a global brand, and the 2009 TSX should have had a turbo 4 and SH-AWD. So much for that.

Lastly, Honda’s only current sports car, the S2000, is still around but is definitely at the ***-end of its shelf life, with last-minute special-editions released to help spike sales (think S2000 Type S and S2000 CR). It seems that the company executives are still undecided on whether the replacement should be more about horsepower or agility, but expect nothing for at least 18 months
So this is nothing more than a rumour being reported. If execs are undecided, then there is NO indication yet that an S2000 successor will appear. There should be NO question of what the S2000 successor should be about; it definitely should be agility.

Let's also not forget the creator of the S2000, Shigeru Uehara retired.

Apart from the CR-Z, nothing is really officially confirmed yet by Honda. We know a next-gen NSX is coming, but we have no idea when. With regards to an S2000 replacement and the NSX going on sale in 2010, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-06-08, 08:12 AM
LexFather

Typical....I am going to start not even going into these threads lol.

Why do they insist on giving Hondas and Acuras the same names/ CR-X? That shoud be moved to Acura (I am well aware of the old CRX). THe hydrogen can is what FCX or somthing? Which sounds like CSX or TSX etc.

They are clueless.

Old 03-06-08, 08:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honda and Acura are becoming too American, their cars are getting huge and bloated, not to mention FUGLY, and their confusion with the naming cheme is similar to Ford/Lincoln F500/Taurus and Zephyr/MKX.
Old 03-06-08, 08:22 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

huh? I'm confused. The title says "Honda reveals NSX, CR-X, S2000 plans"; so did Honda PR officially release these news? I see nothing on honda.co.jp.

If this is something the editors on Motor Authority wrote up, that is a horribly misleading title.
Old 03-06-08, 08:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not a Honda press release. It's old news, but it's not Honda's fault that there are websites out there spilling out rumors.
Old 03-06-08, 02:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
huh? I'm confused. The title says "Honda reveals NSX, CR-X, S2000 plans"; so did Honda PR officially release these news? I see nothing on honda.co.jp.

If this is something the editors on Motor Authority wrote up, that is a horribly misleading title.
No official news, it's just a bunch of Honda rumours that have been around for a while, combined with a few bits of info from Honda officials. Motor Authority essentially decided to run with those rumours and combine it with a few bits of info from Honda execs to make a "story".

The factual parts of this story are that the next-gen NSX has been 'confirmed' by Honda (years ago I might add), as has a production vehicle of the CR-Z concept. The S2000 replacement is a complete rumour at this point.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-06-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 02:36 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah right. There is no factual part of this release. How many times is Honda going to cry wolf? Current count for these releases is like 50.
Old 03-06-08, 03:20 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't blame Honda for the rumor spreading.
That's like blaming Lindsey Lohan for having breasts and people saying that they're fake.
Old 03-06-08, 03:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I wouldn't blame Honda for the rumor spreading.
That's like blaming Lindsey Lohan for having breasts and people saying that they're fake.
I may not blame Honda for the rumor spreading, but I do blame Honda for botching the NSX and S2000 replacement. Only idiots take a winner, and instead of building upon its success they try and reinvent the wheel only then to compete with the masses and not be unique anymore. RIP Soichiro as he's probably turning in his grave right now as these morons at Honda are ruining all he built up and stood for.
Old 03-06-08, 03:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I may not blame Honda for the rumor spreading, but I do blame Honda for botching the NSX and S2000 replacement. Only idiots take a winner, and instead of building upon its success they try and reinvent the wheel only then to compete with the masses and not be unique anymore. RIP Soichiro as he's probably turning in his grave right now as these morons at Honda are ruining all he built up and stood for.
Agreed. You can definitely blame Honda for losing focus on what the company has stood for all these years which is innovation and ingenious engineering.
Old 03-06-08, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

More "NSX" news?

Old 03-06-08, 04:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure what is worse anymore... Reading about the "next NSX" or the "next Supra" haha
Old 03-06-08, 06:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lastly, Honda’s only current sports car, the S2000, is still around but is definitely at the ***-end of its shelf life
I knew the S2000 was getting long in the tooth, but now they tell me
it's at the ***-end? Oh no!

What the snot does that mean?
Old 03-06-08, 06:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I knew the S2000 was getting long in the tooth, but now they tell me
it's at the ***-end? Oh no!

What the snot does that mean?
Butt-end/tail-end...