Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo’s on-board breathalyzer to enter production

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 07:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Volvo’s on-board breathalyzer to enter production

Volvo’s on-board breathalyzer to enter production

Posted on Thursday 6 March 2008

First Volvo unveiled a new driver-distraction warning system, now the company is presenting a fully integrated in-car alcolock system called Alcoguard. Scheduled to be introduced as an option for XC60 to begin with, and then the S80, V70 and XC70 models early next year, the new system will require drivers to blow into a wireless hand-held unit that analyzes their breath in order to start the car. If the driver’s blood-alcohol limit exceeds a predetermined level the engine simply won’t start.

It’s expected Volvo will charge around $1000 for the option.

According to Volvo, one in three fatalities in Europe is alcohol related and around 3,000 people in the UK alone are killed or seriously injured each year in drink drive collisions. The new Alcoguard system employs the same fuel-cell technology used by the majority of police forces in Europe. Thanks to advanced sensors, it isn’t possible to use external air sources such as a pump to cheat the system but it can’t prevent people other than the driver starting up the car.

Both Toyota and Nissan are developing their own on-board breathalyzers, but it appears Volvo will be the first mainstream carmaker to market the product.
via motorauthority
Old 03-06-08, 08:22 AM
LexFather

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a drunk driver, driving a Volvo? Or is it just me?

Nice tech, Volvo=safe!

Old 03-06-08, 11:10 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a drunk driver, driving a Volvo? Or is it just me?

Nice tech, Volvo=safe!
Or an alcoholic WILLINGLY adding a breathalyzer to his car as an "option".
Old 03-06-08, 11:25 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by cpone
Seriously, what's the point of something like this?
Old 03-06-08, 12:31 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Nice tech, Volvo=safe!
Originally Posted by cpone
i was looking for that smilie guy laughing hysterically ... but i couldnt find it.

but YEA! NO KIDDING ... 'i drink a lot, i think i'll get a breathalizer car' ...omg, too funny
Old 03-06-08, 12:55 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way I can see this "option" actually being purchased is if parents add it on to their kid's first car ... Besides that who would do this, and damn you have to blow into this machine EVERYTIME you start the car? that would be pretty annoying ...
Old 03-06-08, 01:04 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a few DUIs and the court will give you one... haha
Old 03-06-08, 02:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

If someone knows they don't have a lot of self-control and can't tell if they're over the limit, this makes a lot of sense. Even Mr. and Mrs. Sensible Volvo drivers could use this... they've got to a New Year's Eve party and had a couple of drinks... they feel fine but being Sensible they don't want to get pulled over. No worries, use the alcoguard and they're good to go (or not).

Now here's a thing... what if they use it, the car let's them drive, they get pulled over, and they fail the limit... do they sue Volvo?
Old 03-06-08, 02:48 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Now here's a thing... what if they use it, the car let's them drive, they get pulled over, and they fail the limit... do they sue Volvo?
blow in the breathalizer, turn the car on ... 'oh here, have one more shot/drink [what ever while you're standing saying goodbyes]' ... 'oh thanks' *drink* get in car drive away

we've all had situations where you reflect on a party nite and you can say 'oh yea, that drink just completely did me in'
Old 03-06-08, 03:23 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

it should be mandatory in all cars now.
Old 03-06-08, 03:29 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by JessePS
it should be mandatory in all cars now.
Part of me agrees and part of me disagrees.
I want people not to drink and drive but I also don't want to be governed that much.
People should just be more responsible but that's asking too much.
Old 03-07-08, 06:17 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Well let's think of a crazy hypothetical situation. Let's say you're at a party with friends and family and everyone is drinking and having a good time when someone slips and falls into a glass table cutting themselves badly (let's say it's your girlfriend) and needs to be rushed to the hospital, nobody wants to call 911 for the fact that there are underaged people at the party who have been drinking and the owners of the house fear going to jail. Now you get into your new Volvo and breathe into the built-in breathalizer and the car will not start , Now what?

Not a good situation to be in ... sorry guys I'm taking a philosophy class right now and the professor gives us some crazy, messed up situations ...

I think it's a stupid option, people need to be responsible for their own actions, but this kind of thing should not be forced upon us, all this is gonna do is make people find ways to beat the system ...
Old 03-07-08, 06:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Well let's think of a crazy hypothetical situation. Let's say you're at a party with friends and family and everyone is drinking and having a good time when someone slips and falls into a glass table cutting themselves badly (let's say it's your girlfriend) and needs to be rushed to the hospital, nobody wants to call 911 for the fact that there are underaged people at the party who have been drinking and the owners of the house fear going to jail. Now you get into your new Volvo and breathe into the built-in breathalizer and the car will not start , Now what?
Simple. You call 911, regardless of whether or not laws have been broken at the party or if anyone "wants" to. Committing a felony and further endangering the life of yourself and your girlfriend while also increasing the time for her to start receiving care is not preferable to someone getting in trouble for a misdemeanor (in most states) that already has been committed. Especially when it was that lesser crime which contributed to the situation you're in in the first place.
Old 03-07-08, 06:58 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

True, This is what a logical and sober person would do, but i can guarantee you that 90% of people would try to do it themselves, besides, i said it was a hypothetical situation lol
Old 03-07-08, 09:11 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Imagine how hard it would be trying to sell a used version of a car with this...

Quick Reply: Volvo’s on-board breathalyzer to enter production