Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
Man, it's a Hyundai Genesis killer!!! LOL!
That's the Racer Motors Mach 5. Road and Track magazine did a story on that car in the new April issue. I have the paper copy.

Sorry, request denied.............I limit my reviews to practical street machines.
Old 03-07-08, 09:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review Marshall. I like the look of the interior in this car. Very upscale for its class.
Old 03-07-08, 10:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm telling you...the closer gas inches to $4 a gallon, the more appealing a Corolla XRS looks to me...
Old 03-07-08, 10:13 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It seems like the Canadian LE up here is our "XLE" so to speak. The XLE is the most luxurious model, but up here in Canada we don't have an XLE, so Toyota Canada made the LE our "luxury" Corolla.

It's also interesting that you can't get Auto Climate Control at all on US Corollas, but it's standard up here on our Canadian LE.
Not to mention our Corolla gets optional 8-Way Power Driver's Seat.

Thanks for the review again! A great read. One magazine did test the Corolla and the braking distance was appalling. We don't know if it's the brake pads or the tyres that were the cause of the long braking distances. I don't wanna know what the distance is without Brake Assist and ABS w/EBD.
Old 03-07-08, 10:14 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I hear that there was suppose to be a hyrid version of the Corolla. I have to admit, I do miss my 03 Corolla. One of the first 9th gen that I owned. Love the TRD supercharger that was in that thing and still gave me excellent gas mileage.

However, I did see a few of these new 10th gen on the road and upon first glance, it looked good from the front. But when it passed me on the opposite side of the road and I could see the rear end, OMG, ugly. Still, you can't complain about the Corolla's refinement overall. I say they did a great job with the car.
Old 03-07-08, 10:33 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
I hear that there was suppose to be a hyrid version of the Corolla. I have to admit, I do miss my 03 Corolla. One of the first 9th gen that I owned. Love the TRD supercharger that was in that thing and still gave me excellent gas mileage.

However, I did see a few of these new 10th gen on the road and upon first glance, it looked good from the front. But when it passed me on the opposite side of the road and I could see the rear end, OMG, ugly. Still, you can't complain about the Corolla's refinement overall. I say they did a great job with the car.
That and the Matrix, yes. We'll shall see what Toyota brings us next year.
Old 03-07-08, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Nice review Marshall. I like the look of the interior in this car. Very upscale for its class.

Thanks.

Among U.S. market versions, only the XLE version has what I would call a nice interior...and it, IMO, is not quite up to the Hyundai Elantra's interior.

Can't complain about the Corolla's refinement though...it is first-rate.
Old 03-07-08, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

However, I did see a few of these new 10th gen on the road and upon first glance, it looked good from the front. But when it passed me on the opposite side of the road and I could see the rear end, OMG, ugly.
The exterior styling is pretty much a downsize version of the new Camry. It is hard to tell them apart except for physical size.
Old 03-07-08, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm telling you...the closer gas inches to $4 a gallon, the more appealing a Corolla XRS looks to me...
.....or a Corolla Hybrid, if Toyota will get started on one. It could use the Prius drivetrain. I would consider buying one myself.
Old 03-07-08, 10:40 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I didn't have any problems with the Camry look since it's a bigger size, but on a Corolla, the rear looks all squished together. Would I still get it? Yes. It's got more standard features than the Civic will ever offer for a great price. I have to admit, there are thoughts that pop into my mind every once in awhile whether I should downgrade from my IS to the new Corolla.
Old 03-07-08, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks for the review again! A great read.
Sure. Anytime.

One magazine did test the Corolla and the braking distance was appalling. We don't know if it's the brake pads or the tyres that were the cause of the long braking distances. I don't wanna know what the distance is without Brake Assist and ABS w/EBD.
I suspected this from the Sponge-O-Matic brake bedal in my test car, but of course, with a new car, did not push the brakes to the limit. But the pedal did feel more or less like a wet noodle under your shoe.

Usually, if the tires don't lock up, long braking distances are more a problem in the brakes themselves than the tires. It felt, on the car I drove, like the pads just weren't getting much friction on the rotors.

ABS and Brake Assist, BTW, will not necessarily, by themselves, shorten your stopping distance. It depends on many other factors as well....ABS only prevents wheel lockup and maintains steering control.
Old 03-07-08, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't have any problems with the Camry look since it's a bigger size, but on a Corolla, the rear looks all squished together. Would I still get it? Yes. It's got more standard features than the Civic will ever offer for a great price. I have to admit, there are thoughts that pop into my mind every once in awhile whether I should downgrade from my IS to the new Corolla.
If your IS is RWD (as most are, except for the IS250 AWD), you will, in most cases get better wet/snow traction with the FWD Corolla. It will, of course, also be cheaper to run and to insure. But you will also give up the nicer interior, better acceleration, and sport-sedan RWD handling of the IS. If you want to economize a little and still keep some zip, look the 2.4L FWD Corolla XRS...but the XRS has lower-profile tires that don't ride as smooth or have as good wet/snow traction as other Corollas.
Old 03-07-08, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Neither Toyotas or Hondas, in general, have been known for particularly good brakes, although those on the Lexus IS300 were superb (I know...I had one). In general, I like BMW and Porsche braking systems the best.
actually, it is interesting story - Rav4, Auris and Yaris won many comparos in germany due to superior brakes (brake distances), unlike Toyota's of old, including previous Corolla.

Also, build quality of new Corolla is a lot better than before. I had previous one and have new Auris. Worlds apart.
Old 03-07-08, 06:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I suspected this from the Sponge-O-Matic brake bedal in my test car, but of course, with a new car, did not push the brakes to the limit. But the pedal did feel more or less like a wet noodle under your shoe.

Usually, if the tires don't lock up, long braking distances are more a problem in the brakes themselves than the tires. It felt, on the car I drove, like the pads just weren't getting much friction on the rotors.

ABS and Brake Assist, BTW, will not necessarily, by themselves, shorten your stopping distance. It depends on many other factors as well....ABS only prevents wheel lockup and maintains steering control.
I suppose. Slightly ignorant post on my part. Still, it's reliant on the quality of the pads.

.....or a Corolla Hybrid, if Toyota will get started on one. It could use the Prius drivetrain. I would consider buying one myself.
It won't use the Prius' drivetrain. It's old. The 1NZ in old. The TCH, HiHy and all Lexus hybrids have the updated powertrain (they're all using 288V batteries with an inverter stepping up to 650V max). The Prius runs on 201.6V stepped up to 500V max.

Given that both the Corolla and Matrix are designed to fit the 2.4 litre, methinks Toyota will shoehorn the 2ZR 1.8 litre with the HSD (and use that setup on the Prius too. We've been expecting a 1.8 litre in the Prius for a while now). That should prove to be very fuel efficient.

Thanks.

Among U.S. market versions, only the XLE version has what I would call a nice interior...and it, IMO, is not quite up to the Hyundai Elantra's interior.

Can't complain about the Corolla's refinement though...it is first-rate.
The thing is, I have a slight beef with TMS calling it an "XLE". There's nothing in there (aside from wood trim) that warrants an XLE emblem. SKS? automatic climate control? leather-trimmed seats? I mean it has the same options (plus nav/bluetooth) as the last gen LE. What makes this an XLE?

Our Canadian model gets SKS, automatic climate control and optional 8-way power driver's seat, power moonroof, overhead console bin with larger maplights and rear centre armrest (first for a Corolla IIRC). Add leather seats and that can warrant an XLE emblem.
Old 03-08-08, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I

The thing is, I have a slight beef with TMS calling it an "XLE". There's nothing in there (aside from wood trim) that warrants an XLE emblem. SKS? automatic climate control? leather-trimmed seats? I mean it has the same options (plus nav/bluetooth) as the last gen LE. What makes this an XLE?
The American-market XLE version, compared to the American-market LE, not only gets the wood inside but more attractive/plush cloth uphostery and a several comfort/convienence features as well....for a somewhat higher price.
Alloy wheels are an option on both...but, unfortunately (if you want a smoother ride) on the XLE, you cannot get 65-series tires at all with either wheel...you're stuck with the firmer 55's. Toyota, like many manufacturers, seems to think that the higher the trim level you go, the firmer the ride/handling combination you want.....that is often not true. If you want handling, that is what the Corolla XRS is for....with its 45-series sport tires.

Still, the XLE, clearly, is one of the nicest of small cars...I'd rate it about even with the Hyundai Elantra.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE