Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Geeez wood and nav in a corolla?
That interior looks nice. I guess it could/did beat out the other cars in it's class with the wood trim
Old 03-08-08, 02:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still, the XLE, clearly, is one of the nicest of small cars...I'd rate it about even with the Hyundai Elantra.
lol.........
Old 03-08-08, 07:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The American-market XLE version, compared to the American-market LE, not only gets the wood inside but more attractive/plush cloth uphostery and a several comfort/convienence features as well....for a somewhat higher price.
Alloy wheels are an option on both...but, unfortunately (if you want a smoother ride) on the XLE, you cannot get 65-series tires at all with either wheel...you're stuck with the firmer 55's. Toyota, like many manufacturers, seems to think that the higher the trim level you go, the firmer the ride/handling combination you want.....that is often not true. If you want handling, that is what the Corolla XRS is for....with its 45-series sport tires.

Still, the XLE, clearly, is one of the nicest of small cars...I'd rate it about even with the Hyundai Elantra.
That's the thing. Our LE has the plush cloth and wood as well as extra stuff (power driver's seat, SKS and auto A/C) yet ours is the LE and yours is called an XLE.

If anything, it's an LE, with your LE as the CE and the standard Corolla as a standard Corolla. i.e. the features don't seem to give merit to the XLE emblem. When I see XLE (or XLS in the case of the Avalon), I expect something a lot more than the standard version of the vehicle and the person driving it obviously appreciates the finer detail of that vehicle to buy the XLE model over the common CE/LE model.
Old 03-08-08, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol.........
Fine. LOL if you want. I reviewed both the Corolla and Elantra, and meant exactly what I said. I am not retracting my statement. They are BOTH nice, well-built, comfortable small cars...at or near the top of the class. That is the way I see it.

If you disagree with my opinions, you can go look at the two cars and form your own.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-08-08 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 04:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

is-f im looking forward to that one
Old 03-09-08, 05:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why toyota has:

Standard
CE
LE
XL
XR
XLE
XLS
S
SE
XRS
SLE
Sport Edition
Limited
Platinum
SR5

IMO all sedans/CUVs should be:

Standard-->(CE Optional)-->LE-->SE-->XLE

and all SUVs should be:

Standard-->SR5-->Sport-->Limited

Why do we have S, SE, XRS and Sport which all mean the same thing, as well as XLE, XLS, SLE, and Limited which all mean the same thing? Come on!

Avalon XLE? Corolla SE? Matrix LE? Why not? All the different names for similar trim levels seem confusing to me.
Old 03-10-08, 04:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't understand why toyota has:

Standard
CE
LE
XL
XR
XLE
XLS
S
SE
XRS
SLE
Sport Edition
Limited
Platinum
SR5

IMO all sedans/CUVs should be:

Standard-->(CE Optional)-->LE-->SE-->XLE

and all SUVs should be:

Standard-->SR5-->Sport-->Limited

Why do we have S, SE, XRS and Sport which all mean the same thing, as well as XLE, XLS, SLE, and Limited which all mean the same thing? Come on!

Avalon XLE? Corolla SE? Matrix LE? Why not? All the different names for similar trim levels seem confusing to me.
Marketing.A Matrix LE isn't cool. LE is associated with the Corolla and Camry. The two letters of X and R give it a "racier" name .

SLE I suppose is sport luxury keeping with the Solara's supposed purpose. No idea why it's XLS on the Avalon instead of XLE other than it's XL not LE for the base model.

XRS is derived from the Matrix. S and Sport are the same (Corolla S or Corolla Sport. Same thing and they use them interchangeably). CE has been dropped in favour for "standard". No doubt it's to reduce cost by not having to produce the "CE" emblem.
Old 03-11-08, 03:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Marketing.A Matrix LE isn't cool. LE is associated with the Corolla and Camry. The two letters of X and R give it a "racier" name .

SLE I suppose is sport luxury keeping with the Solara's supposed purpose. No idea why it's XLS on the Avalon instead of XLE other than it's XL not LE for the base model.

XRS is derived from the Matrix. S and Sport are the same (Corolla S or Corolla Sport. Same thing and they use them interchangeably). CE has been dropped in favour for "standard". No doubt it's to reduce cost by not having to produce the "CE" emblem.
Gets back to what I have said so many times about marketers and cost-cutters being the two banes of the auto industry. They screw up more things than just about anybody I can think of.
Old 03-12-08, 08:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Gets back to what I have said so many times about marketers and cost-cutters being the two banes of the auto industry. They screw up more things than just about anybody I can think of.
hahahahaha
Old 03-12-08, 11:40 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

I thought about that, but I do the reviews and the PLUSSES/MINUSES lists in such detail that IMO it is difficult to boil everything down to simple 1-10 numbers. Take the Cadillac Escalade's huge and complex interior, for instance. It is such a jumble of good parts, bad parts, nice design, lousy design, solidness, cheapness, good-vs-lousy fit and finsh, etc....that it is almost impossible to assign a single number to it. That's why I prefer a separate list of plusses and minuses and explain each part of the vehicle in as best a detail as I can. Most of my readers seem to like it that way.

But thanks for the suggestion.

You can rate each of the categories seperately, interior, exterior, ride quality, performance, etc then maybe average them.
Old 03-12-08, 11:50 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
Man, it's a Hyundai Genesis killer!!! LOL!
DUH!!

I love that new Corolla....I want one.
Old 07-02-08, 09:51 PM
JO4EY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 12,000 miles on my 2009 corolla and am going on my third set of brakes. i hear you on them spongy brakes
Old 07-02-08, 11:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by JO4EY
I have 12,000 miles on my 2009 corolla and am going on my third set of brakes. i hear you on them spongy brakes
That's mad. I've never had 3 sets of brakes on ANY car I've owned.
Old 07-03-08, 06:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's mad. I've never had 3 sets of brakes on ANY car I've owned.
That's about 4K miles per brake job! Most people don't change their oil that often.
Old 07-03-08, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JO4EY
I see you are in CA. What do you do to wear them out that fast.....drive back and forth every day over the high Sierra Nevada and ride them all the way down?
If so, you are probably warping the rotors as well from heat buildup.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE