Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 09:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JO4EY
I have 12,000 miles on my 2009 corolla and am going on my third set of brakes. i hear you on them spongy brakes
how's that possible? Are your freeways that bad? lol. or do you race from light to light?

Sponginess has nothing to do with brake wear though.. our 02 Camry had spongy brakes but they lasted 70,000kms, mostly city driving.
Old 07-07-08, 04:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
how's that possible? Are your freeways that bad? lol. or do you race from light to light?
People who race from light to light generally don't drive new Corollas.

Sponginess has nothing to do with brake wear though.. our 02 Camry had spongy brakes but they lasted 70,000kms, mostly city driving.
Generally true, but it can to some extent. Spongy brakes can invite harder-than average pedal pressures because of their lack of effectiveness....do that enough times and you will get some premature wear. But 9000 miles? At the risk of telling another bad pun, that's pushing it.
Old 07-11-08, 07:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=mmarshall;3659579]People who race from light to light generally don't drive new Corollas./QUOTE]
lol.. you should've seen that guy on TN who was complaining that he got owned by an Escalade
Old 07-11-08, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People who race from light to light generally don't drive new Corollas.

lol.. you should've seen that guy on TN who was complaining that he got owned by an Escalade
Well, he could have been in a Buick, for that matter, but in general, like I said, people don't do that kind of nonsense with Corollas.....or Buicks.
Old 07-11-08, 07:45 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Nextourer;3672726]
Originally Posted by mmarshall
People who race from light to light generally don't drive new Corollas./QUOTE]
If it was the new Escalades with the 400hp, it goes to 0-60 in like 6 seconds, that is a reason he lost
Old 07-11-08, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=xioix;3672782]

If it was the new Escalades with the 400hp, it goes to 0-60 in like 6 seconds, that is a reason he lost
You're probably not going to see much of this nonsense any more with gas at $4-5 a gallon....especially with three-ton vehicles like the Escalade. 0-60 in 6 seconds with an Escalade is enormously wasteful of fuel.
Old 07-12-08, 08:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=mmarshall;3672831]
Originally Posted by xioix

You're probably not going to see much of this nonsense any more with gas at $4-5 a gallon....especially with three-ton vehicles like the Escalade. 0-60 in 6 seconds with an Escalade is enormously wasteful of fuel.
[QUOTE=xioix;3672782]

to both: either way, that guy's an idiot for thinking the Corolla is a Civic Type R.

Even the old Escalade can probably beat it. The XRS does 60 in 8ish secs, he'll run with old V6s and beat minivans (only the Odyssey and Sienna will come close). That's assuming he has the XRS and not the 1.8 litre.
Old 07-12-08, 10:09 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTEmmarshall;3672831]

[QUOTExioix;3672782]

to both: either way, that guy's an idiot for thinking the Corolla is a Civic Type R.

Even the old Escalade can probably beat it. The XRS does 60 in 8ish secs, he'll run with old V6s and beat minivans (only the Odyssey and Sienna will come close). That's assuming he has the XRS and not the 1.8 litre.
Well the old XRS ran low 7's not sure if the new one is slower by that much
Old 07-13-08, 07:58 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Corolla is very impressive.

I'm always bothered that brakes aren't given a lot of thought in most cars costing less than $30K.

I've been disappointed for years that Honda and Toyota cheap out on rear brakes especially in the Corolla and Civic, making discs available only on the sportiest XRS or Si trim levels. Dumb move, in my opinion, especially when competing cars like the Mazda3 and Jetta offer 4-wheel discs pretty much across the board.
Old 07-13-08, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
The new Corolla is very impressive.

I'm always bothered that brakes aren't given a lot of thought in most cars costing less than $30K.

I've been disappointed for years that Honda and Toyota cheap out on rear brakes especially in the Corolla and Civic, making discs available only on the sportiest XRS or Si trim levels. Dumb move, in my opinion, especially when competing cars like the Mazda3 and Jetta offer 4-wheel discs pretty much across the board.
Haven't seen you post in CAR CHAT for a while, Adrian. You the old wantanexlex, aren't you? Welcome back.

Though discs, of course, resist water effects and don't need periodic adjustments like drums, drums do have some advantages. They generally make better parking brakes, they don't get rotor warpage and pedal shimmy like discs do, and, to some extent, they are easier to service.

Honda and Toyota aren't the only manufacturers to still use some rear drums. Subaru still uses them on the 2.5i Impreza non-Premium package models, and I believe Hyundai and Kia uses them on base Accent/Rio models.
Old 07-13-08, 01:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Well the old XRS ran low 7's not sure if the new one is slower by that much
The old XRS had a screamer of an engine. It was a yamaha-built 1.8 litre engine with 164hp @ 7,600rpm and 125b-ft @ 4,400... (weird... cause the Celica had max torque at 6,800rpm).
Old 07-13-08, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The old XRS had a screamer of an engine. It was a yamaha-built 1.8 litre engine with 164hp @ 7,600rpm and 125b-ft @ 4,400... (weird... cause the Celica had max torque at 6,800rpm).
The XRS version (also used in some versions of the Vibe/Matrix) had a revamped HP/torque curve because the earlier Celica version, like the Honda S2000's old 2.0L, was too peaky......to the point of being unrealistic. In addition, the unrealistic RPMs that the Celica version's power peaks required led to a number of engine failures from kids drag-racing them up to motorcycle-RPM levels. I saw a couple of those ruined engines myself in the local Toyota service bay.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-08 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 05:13 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently leasing an XRS, and so far no problems (under 5000 mi), there are just things I don't like (i.e. gearing too tall for the 5 speed)

If I had to do it again, I would've opted for an S instead, since it does get better mileage and a little cheaper. Overall, it has a good interior, and a great stereo with BLUETOOTH. Kind of wish they would've offered the BT with the NAV, but at least I get XM Radio for free (corporate lease). Anyway, I would recommend the Corolla S for sure, and the XRS if they really want that extra power and rear disc brakes.