Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
E 60 M5
44.71%
CLS 55/63
55.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

**Help choosing between Cls55 or M5*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 04:33 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi guys
thanks so much for all the inouts!! anyone is kind enough to give me a ride in their m5 or cls55? i would love to experience the ride since i have never had a ride in neither of them. i live in LA/SD area btw
thanks!

andrew
Old 03-08-08, 06:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the designs of both cars. I'd give the CLS the edge for luxury-sport styling and the M5 for sport-luxury. Both are unique looking and that's huge for me. Both have the the power. The M5 probably has the advantage in handling and that would be the choice for me.

Can't go wrong with either but driving both usually reveals the favorite. Your butt is good at telling you what it likes.
Old 03-08-08, 07:13 AM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLS AMG for sure. The M5 is the ultimate driving machine but on the quarter mile, the CLS will take it most of the time.

4 door coupe, rear bucket seats, lower roof line, frameless doors, 500hp = HOT SEX in every single way

If you want to pick up chicks, get the CLS. You will never have trouble getting a date (or one night stand) even if your a hairy beast. Only problem is that its hard to have sex in due to the lower roof line and rear bucket seats but if you could afford the car, you shouldnt have a problem paying for a room. Disreguard these comments if your married
Old 03-08-08, 07:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

If I had to pick one of the two cars you are considering, I'm with Seize, I'd take the M5. I can live with it's ugliness.

I prefer the "handling" part of the equation (M5) better than the "looks" of the CLS.

You ought to drive both before you pick one. You have to live with the car, so don't consider our opinions more than your first hand experience.
Old 03-08-08, 08:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A good friend of mine has owned both cars, we have a CLS 500 at the office and a friend of mine has a 545i (more for dynamic driving impresson's sake), so I have seat time in the standard and hot-rod models.

My pal Chris ditched his M5 because he didn't care for the SMG trans and the fact that you have to drive it like you stole it to make it perform. Hammer the M5s throttle at low rpm and accelleration is a waiting game. With the CLS63, you just stab and steer it. On the other hand, Chris also had an F360 (which he crashed and burned , literally ), so he didn't want multiple "peaky" cars.

I guess it depends on what you expect of the car. I guess if I could only own one vehicle that had to do it all I would go for the CLS - more torque, less balky transmission when in traffic, more of an "executive transport."

The M5 would be a great second car; it's not a car I'd want to be stuck on the 405 in rush hour traffic with (also, I cannot STAND the sound), but it would be more fun on track days. And if it blows-up on the track, you'd have a back-up car! The M5 doesn't look particularly special, which I suppose is both good and bad. For $90K, I wouldn't mind owning a car that didn't look like it was partially melted...

Tough call.
Old 03-08-08, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle3481
hi guys
thanks so much for all the inouts!! anyone is kind enough to give me a ride in their m5 or cls55? i would love to experience the ride since i have never had a ride in neither of them. i live in LA/SD area btw
thanks!

andrew
andrew, i am sure you can get test drive of them at dealership?
Old 03-08-08, 09:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Me personally, I would go for the CLS55 for looks and powah
For one thing, I can't stand the interior for BMWs, except for the 7 series.
Old 03-08-08, 10:37 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Both are way overpriced, but it comes down to a choice between them, take the M5. I think you will like it a lot more in day-to-day driving (you can't beat BMW steering and chassis systems), and it has windows you can actually SEE out of. The CLS looks like a barge was dropped on it. Neither car, though, is likely to have reliable electronics...prepare to spend at least some time in the service bin.
Have you driven both? From my experience of the M5 I would say the exact opposite. The M5's SMG can be tedious in stop/go traffic, and the small gas tank (can be < 200 miles range) means you will be spending much more time at the gas station. Make the most of the V10 and you will be spending even more time at the gas station. The CLS 55/63 is a far more practical car for general road conditions - both comfort and performance.

Chris
Old 03-08-08, 12:18 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
andrew, i am sure you can get test drive of them at dealership?
I agree, take the cars for a test drives. I'm sure you'll prefer one over the other.

Regardless of your choice, make sure you get a car with an extended warranty. You should check out M5board.com and MBWorld.org for more info on potential issues with the M5 and CLS 55. Repairs on these cars can be expensive if you're out of warranty. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-08-08, 12:53 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The M5 is a better car for driving. I love the engine. No question in my book here.

I also hate the CLS exterior styling - not a fan of fastbacks at all.
Old 03-08-08, 02:01 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The M5 would be a great second car; it's not a car I'd want to be stuck on the 405 in rush hour traffic with (also, I cannot STAND the sound), but it would be more fun on track days. And if it blows-up on the track, you'd have a back-up car! The M5 doesn't look particularly special, which I suppose is both good and bad. For $90K, I wouldn't mind owning a car that didn't look like it was partially melted...

Tough call.
Bob, you cannot stand the sound of the engine? Or are you referring to something else?
Old 03-08-08, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Bob, you cannot stand the sound of the engine? Or are you referring to something else?
i think bob means the m5. i could be wrong but i think i recall bob mentioning about the m5 sound being "rough"

of course, they all sound too rich for me
Old 03-11-08, 02:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't want any such powerful car without AWD - 500hp and RWD is going to get you in trouble.
Old 03-11-08, 02:35 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you heard that AMG V8 rumble? Yummoh, CLS for me.
Old 03-11-08, 09:57 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CLS=Elegance + Performance ... M5=Performance

I'd take the CLS, but the M5 is also a beast

Quick Reply: **Help choosing between Cls55 or M5*