Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Costly Mistake at The Gas Pump You Can Avoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 12:37 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they did a news special recently saying pumping gas in hot weather doesn't make any difference from pumping in cooler weather... but they it would be the media trying to brainwash consumers again.
Old 03-10-08, 09:48 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is some good information that I was forward hope that it helps people!

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
Old 03-10-08, 10:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by XprincoX
they did a news special recently saying pumping gas in hot weather doesn't make any difference from pumping in cooler weather... but they it would be the media trying to brainwash consumers again.
basic physics dictates otherwise
Old 03-10-08, 03:50 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.. stirs up dirt, water, and sediment from the bottom of the tanks, and where does that stuff go? Yep.....right into YOUR tank...

When I was learning to drive my Dad always told me never to let my tank get below 1/4 for that same reason.

Last edited by KayGee; 03-11-08 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 03:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by KayGee
When I was learning to drive my Dad always told me never to let you tank get below 1/4 of a tank for that same reason.
isnt the gas pickup at the bottom of the tank anyways?
Old 03-10-08, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
When I was learning to drive my Dad always told me never to let you tank get below 1/4 of a tank for that same reason.
There are other reasons for that too. First, with a low fuel level, if you corner abruptly, the remaining fuel gets shifted to one side of the tank to the other, and can expose the porting hole in the bottom of the tank, which means the fuel pump momentarily sucks air...and the engine stalls. Second, with a old or dirty tank, debris and dirt can be sucked into the same porting hole for the same reason, plugging up the fuel filter and injectors.
Old 03-10-08, 06:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
.... I've been working in a full serve gas station for 5 years and I've seen the nozzles, hoses etc and filled thousands of cars, never noticed there's another hole other than 1 big one for fuel to go into your car, I've also looked at the twist section, there's only 1 passage...

Vapor recovery, not here we don't have..... unless somehow they've changed the pumps and nozzles without me noticing and somehow can get another passage on the twist part, which is almost impossible.... I don't think they've got their sources right....
Maybe they don't have them in Canada, but they DEFINITELY have them here. I'm pretty sure they're actually required by law. All the pumps, hoses, breakaways and interconnects say "vapor recovery" right on them, and the nozzles have a few dozen holes around the side (about halfway up) to collect the vapors.

here are some of the ones that I see on a daily basis. They have their sources right.
Old 03-10-08, 07:05 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that's why I never noticed the vapor recovery...
ours are like these
http://www.benfordfueling.com/shop/product1428.html
http://www.benfordfueling.com/shop/product1426.html
Old 03-10-08, 08:01 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yep this is exactly why you should always take everything you see on tv with a grain of salt.
Old 03-10-08, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Basic physics says ground temperature at tank level is very constant. Click here for PDF describing fibreglass tank installation. Filling in the morning or filling in the evening makes no difference, the ground temperature is pretty stable at the depths these tanks are installed (2' - 7').

Vapor recovery technology varies with state. It is complete hogwash that liquid fuel goes up the return if it never goes above the neck. Vapors are recovered, nothing more. If you pull the hose away and it is dripping from the vapor seal, then yes, you are an idiot and you're wasting fuel you paid to put in your tank. Anyone who rode a motorcycle in California during the 80's and 90's knows how to push back the seal to enable the pump to work. If you didn't, you'd never get more than a couple of gallons in a 5 gallon tank. It's no mystery to top off your fuel, even in California.

Oh, and the fuel expanding into the evap canister - sure, if you park at the gas station and go inside for awhile. Not if you drive anywhere. That gas is getting burned and it's coming down the neck of the filler tube fast, so it really won't have a chance to get into the evap system unless you fill it brimming full and get fuel in the purge line at the top of the neck.

You will not damage anything in a Lexus or high end Toyota by running it very low. There is a subtank inside the fuel tank that raises the fuel level to continue to cool the fuel pump by bathing it in fuel, and this subtank has a very high fuel turnover rate so sediment is pushed away from the pickup by design. You guys really ought to read the New Car Features books, there's lots of interesting information about things like this in them.

My favorite complete dumbass thing I've heard regarding fuel is the fuel "left in the hose" is fuel you paid for but did not get. Nothing could be further from the truth. The hose was full when you started, and it will be full when you finish. You paid for nothing more than what was metered.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-10-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 05:18 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets say all this is true. How much would this be costing us exactly? I'm guessing .50 cents? maybe $1.00 at the most?

I'm willing to bet people waste more money driving out of their way to get to a gas station where they can save a buck or 2.
Old 03-11-08, 07:46 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't top off anyway, if you overfill you can get the charcoal canister screwed up.
I'm testing the pump slower theory. Honestly don't think filling slowly will make a difference.
Old 03-11-08, 11:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My favorite complete dumbass thing I've heard regarding fuel is the fuel "left in the hose" is fuel you paid for but did not get. Nothing could be further from the truth. The hose was full when you started, and it will be full when you finish. You paid for nothing more than what was metered.
What sucks is usually that fuel is some 87 octane
Old 03-11-08, 11:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

here in socal we have 30-40deg. difference between high/low, i know the ground is a MASSIVE temperature stabilizer but im pretty sure theres 10deg+ difference throughout the day.

that being said the best time to pump from a gas density viewpoint is EARLY in the morning (5-9ish) since the ground is cool from the night before.