Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevron Techron - Overhyped/Overrated due to Effective Marketing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 03:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can definetly feel the difference between Chevron and cheap gas like Arco - cars on Arco feel sluggish and guzzle more fuel down.
Old 03-11-08, 04:18 PM
Hazelrah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the gas itself is all the same. They're all refined to the same spec and Chevron trucks will deposit gas at Shell stations and vice versa. Additives like Techron and V-Power are added at the pump.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "effective marketing." Chevron and Shell have additives, and additives are good for the engine. Nothing wrong with saying that. If the other brands have additives, then I don't know about it and they really should advertise it more.

I use Chevron or Shell interchangeably, whichever is cheaper and closer. In SoCal there is not really a consistent difference in price among the brands, except for Arco which doesn't take credit cards. If the price is the same, why not use the one which I'm sure has the additive, whatever the additive is.

I use Lucas too. I read once that Techron and Lucas target different parts of the car so it's not a waste to use them at the same time, but I can't find that link (might have been a thread here). I think my car runs better since I started using Lucas, but either way it's only $10 a bottle for 100 gallons.
Old 03-11-08, 05:45 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Somebody on one of the car forums posted how they physically saw the fuel injection spray become a fine mist once techron was added. I dont doubt it.

Heres another site to consider:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 03-11-08, 06:51 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Perfection
I use both Shell and Chevron, since... I don't know . But when I am low on gas, I fill up on whatever is closest.
100% same here !!!

+1
Old 03-12-08, 04:45 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hazelrah
I'm not really sure what you mean by "effective marketing."
Those cute little talking chevron cars is great marketing. The gas is good, too.
Old 03-12-08, 08:30 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Ive been using chevron ever since I got my license. dunno why I started going there . the commercials pulled me in.
Old 03-12-08, 07:26 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if it's the same if we just used the el cheapo gas and then every month pour in one of those concentrated bottles of techron additive?
Old 03-13-08, 05:37 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I wonder if it's the same if we just used the el cheapo gas and then every month pour in one of those concentrated bottles of techron additive?
Probably. All gas is the same when it gets to the fuel stations additives are put in later.
Old 03-13-08, 06:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

When I get to the U.S. border in April, first thing I am doing is pulling into the Chevron station in Laredo and filling up.
Old 03-13-08, 09:08 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With gas prices as they are now, I just use whichever name-brand is cheaper. I use a lot of Hess. Shell V-Power is great and use that whenever prices are within 1-2cents from Hess. No Chevron out here in the NE...
Old 03-13-08, 10:36 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the last 2 years I have been stricltly using BP, it's ALWAYS cheaper than any gas stations I see around my area and it also seems to be the most popular, it's always packed, even though there are two other gas stations literally right next to it ...
Old 03-13-08, 04:15 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I almost always use Exxon/Mobil because...well, I have no-so-great credit and they were stupid enough to give me a credit card. The SpeedPass is extremely convenient. I guess that's a really bad reason to use them but, there you go.
Old 03-13-08, 06:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I almost always use Exxon/Mobil because...well, I have no-so-great credit and they were stupid enough to give me a credit card. The SpeedPass is extremely convenient. I guess that's a really bad reason to use them but, there you go.
Do you pay your gas bill each month before its due date? If so, they weren't dumb to give you a credit card, it's money in their pocket. Gas cards are the easiest to get, the standards are about as low as they go.

I agree the SpeedPass is a convenient way to pay. I've used Exxon gas for years as I work for them and I get a discount. :-) Never had any performance problems. In fact it is known within the industry that they have the tightest tolerances of any of the refiners. They don't give anything away. If you are buying 87 Octane that is what you are getting, other refiners with less precise tolerances have to add a bit more to allow for variations in the overall supply.

Last edited by Evitzee; 03-13-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 07:40 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
Probably. All gas is the same when it gets to the fuel stations additives are put in later.
Wrong. The cheap no brand gas stations get the oldest leftover gas.

If you cant afford the fuel a luxury sports sedan requires, you should probably trade it in for a cheap econobox...
Old 03-14-08, 12:15 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default BG44k

BG44k is better than Techron, much more concentrated, 10X more potent, buts it isn't cheap.

As far as gas the only ones I avoid are ARCO and PEMEX, Holy cow, how do they sell that "gas" at PEMEX, I ran some 91 octane thinking it would be passable in my 1990 Accord which only requires 87, so much pinging the CPU had to turn down the engine power via timing retard, I could barely accelerate getting on the freeway in Rosarito. That stuff is terrible, I'll never drive down to Mexico on an empty tank again. I wish you could find US quality gas down there.

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron - Overhyped/Overrated due to Effective Marketing?