Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevron Techron - Overhyped/Overrated due to Effective Marketing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 10:13 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevron Techron - Overhyped/Overrated due to Effective Marketing?

The debate about which gasoline companies additive is better is probably the most highly debated subject and it is probably an inexact science at best because nobody, to my knowledge, has really done an independent scientific test to determine what is really the best out there.

One thing is certain is that over the years, I have noticed that A LOT of people swears that Chevron is the best, cleanest burning gasoline that money can buy, and that they would go out of their way to buy Chevron regardless of cost or convenience. And interestingly, a lot of these people don't really know squat about cars.

So, the question is, is it only me that notice this or you guys know of people that feels this way towards Chevron as well? Personally, I don't know of any other gasoline brands that commands such loyalty and faith. Unlike Chevron, I have never heard anyone say something like, "Oh Mobil or Shell is the best", or "I only use 76 in my car"
Old 03-10-08, 10:16 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use both Shell and Chevron, since... I don't know . But when I am low on gas, I fill up on whatever is closest.
Old 03-10-08, 11:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use chevron because it's conveniently located near my house. As far as techron? I dont really care about that because it seems to be very very low in concentration. A bottle of lucas fuel injector was able to clear out my injectors more effectively than gallons of chevron.
Old 03-11-08, 12:00 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

its all about image. when you go into a walgreens, do you buy the "Airborn" or the "Wal-born". or maybe the "Neosporin" versus "Wal-Sporin".

the answer is tha most people will not save the measly 2 dollars and buy the cheaper alternative. the attitude is that if its cheaper, its got to be worse. and i dont care how many people tell me otherwise, i still buy name brand.

and to this day, i only use chevron. i never run low enough to force myself to put anything else in the car. On the west coast, Chevron is everywhere, and its the "best". perhaps its marketing, with those pictures of engine parts that arent covered in guck, or perhaps its brand image. thats why major corps hire professionals to do their marketing. lexus does the same thing.

or maybe...i just like those little cartoon cars
Old 03-11-08, 12:47 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^HEY now, I've used wal-born and its fine

As for gas...it's w/e is closest and cheapest, as long as it isn't one of those no-name brands ie roadrunner or kangaroo.
Old 03-11-08, 01:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Years ago, Mobil and Amoco used to be considered the best-quality unleaded fuels. Mobil always had the best detergent package to avoid deposits, and Amoco had a traditon of doing high-quality unleaded fuels going back to the 1960's.....it was the first oil company to introduce lead-free fuel that was safe for the engines of the time, long before it was actually mandated by the EPA and the emission-controlled engines.

But, since then, Amoco has been bought out by BP, and Mobil by Exxon, so, in some ways, you don't really know what you are getting now with those two. Chevron and Shell, on the other hand, are known to have high-quality detergent packages today......Chevron especially so. The Techroline (Techron) in Chevron is not just a bunch of marketing hype. Engineers from the auto companies themselves consider it the top-tier fuel available today, and use it as the benchmark by which other fuels are measured. These benchmarks incluse engine efficiency, type and amount of carbom/gum deposits left after long-term use, amount of HP produced with computer-controlled spark timing, etc.... The V-Power Shell fuels are almost as effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-08 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 03:00 AM
stvn
Pole Position

ive always liked chevron the best!
Old 03-11-08, 03:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stvn
ive always liked chevron the best!
So do many engines.

If Chevron is not available in your area, Shell is almost as good.
Old 03-11-08, 03:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
The debate about which gasoline companies additive is better is probably the most highly debated subject and it is probably an inexact science at best because nobody, to my knowledge, has really done an independent scientific test to determine what is really the best out there.
SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), a well-known scientific organization, has done numerous studies of fuels and their effects on engines.
Old 03-11-08, 04:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I remember Amoco was the one that I used to fill up with in the 1980s and on occasion Shell or Chevron. Here I am stuck with Pemex. However, upon return to the U.S. I plan to use Chevron, call it an old habit, not Techron.
Old 03-11-08, 05:47 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
^HEY now, I've used wal-born and its fine

As for gas...it's w/e is closest and cheapest, as long as it isn't one of those no-name brands ie roadrunner or kangaroo.
haha you are both **** out of luck because neither one of them works! airborne just got hardcore sued because their product doesnt do anything!
Old 03-11-08, 06:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex

One thing is certain is that over the years, I have noticed that A LOT of people swears that Chevron is the best, cleanest burning gasoline that money can buy, and that they would go out of their way to buy Chevron regardless of cost or convenience. And interestingly, a lot of these people don't really know squat about cars.

So, the question is, is it only me that notice this or you guys know of people that feels this way towards Chevron as well? Personally, I don't know of any other gasoline brands that commands such loyalty and faith. Unlike Chevron, I have never heard anyone say something like, "Oh Mobil or Shell is the best", or "I only use 76 in my car"

I've heard that Amaco is the best since their gas is the most deterrgent-free? I didn't know they got bought by BP; I thought BP was in a partnership with them.

I know to stay away from Exxon though!
Old 03-11-08, 08:22 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

haha you are both **** out of luck because neither one of them works! airborne just got hardcore sued because their product doesnt do anything
airborn got sued because idiot custumers thought it would "cure" the common cold. your only suppose to take it at the first sign of your cold in order to have a better chance of beating it. stupid litigous americans
Old 03-11-08, 11:34 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably has to do with some images.

I use Chevron exclusively because I like the bright and clean gas station, Shell is not bad but dim lighting puts me at bad mood, although i don't mind using it, if it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for me.

I started using Chevron because I found out BMW use only chevron on their test cars so i just stuck with it.
Old 03-11-08, 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I use BP these days for convenience, a good bit cheaper than Shell (the other 'name' around here), and for my Explorer at least because Ford recommends it (probably just a marketing thing, but regardless BP is most convenient for me anyway).

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron - Overhyped/Overrated due to Effective Marketing?