Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Way or the Highway at Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 09:29 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Read the article, there are some very worrying and fundamental problems inside Hyundai.
Worrying? HAH. That company going down doesn't worry me the slightest, except for the fact that most people will be out of jobs.

DOWN WITH HYUNDAI!
Old 03-12-08, 10:28 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

DOWN WITH HYUNDAI!

+1 tenchara
Old 03-12-08, 11:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
For one thing, Toyota does not treat it's US executives the same way that Hyundai treats it's US executives. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of articles out there that show the differences.
So with all these articles and exposure on Hyundai's "bad" treatment of it's executives why isn't Hyundai quality going down and the public boycotting their products?

News Flash...All consumers and stockholders care about is the end product and profit as long as the means is legal and from what you posted I see nothing illegal happening.

I took a business course that covered different management styles around the world and was shocked to discover the ways some other cultures operate when compared to the US. But that doesn't mean I will look down on them or try to discredit them in anyway. If that's how they do business that's on them.

As I said in the end the average consumer only cares about price and stockholders only care about profit and Hyundai's numbers speak for themselves.
Old 03-12-08, 11:05 AM
RXSF

As I said in the end the average consumer only cares about price and stockholders only care about profit and Hyundai's numbers speak for themselves.
just because the end product is good, doesnt justify the means of getting there.

nike and other american manufacturers are the same way. are people going to boycott nike shoes just because some kid in vietnam is making them for like a dollar a day? no. are people are going stop buying hyundai cars? doubt it.
Old 03-12-08, 11:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by RXSF
just because the end product is good, doesnt justify the means of getting there.

nike and other american manufacturers are the same way. are people going to boycott nike shoes just because some kid in vietnam is making them for like a dollar a day? no. are people are going stop buying hyundai cars? doubt it.
Ok than tell me what it is that Hyundai is doing that makes their "means of getting there" questionable.
Old 03-12-08, 11:25 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Worrying? HAH. That company going down doesn't worry me the slightest, except for the fact that most people will be out of jobs.

DOWN WITH HYUNDAI!
I'm curious to why you dislike Hyundai so much? Is it because they've become a threat or are you still stuck in the 80's and 90's?
Old 03-12-08, 11:26 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Ok than tell me what it is that Hyundai is doing that makes their "means of getting there" questionable.
Because they hurt the feelings of American executives and fire them on whim like yesterday's old news!

"Chung, who was convicted of embezzlement in Korea last year but had his prison sentence suspended."

Because they embezzle from their own company to pay off the politicians. (Of course, in the US, we do it the "legal" way - called special interest groups. )

"During some conference calls, he adds, the coordinators would speak Korean to managers in Seoul, all but shutting out the Americans."

And because, God forbid, they dare to speak a different language in the presence of Americans! (Never mind that many execs in Korea can barely understand English.)
Old 03-12-08, 11:27 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I wanna know too.

They make it sound like Hyundai cars are built from blood and sweat of slaves.
Old 03-12-08, 11:30 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy101
Because they hurt the feelings of American executives and fire them on whim like yesterday's old news!

"Chung, who was convicted of embezzlement in Korea last year but had his prison sentence suspended."

Because they embezzle from their own company to pay off the politicians. (Of course, in the US, we do it the "legal" way - called special interest groups. )

"During some conference calls, he adds, the coordinators would speak Korean to managers in Seoul, all but shutting out the Americans."

And because, God forbid, they dare to speak a different language in the presence of Americans! (Never mind that many execs in Korea can barely understand English.)
How does this have anything to do with the means of getting cars built and sold? This has to do with office politics. There's nothing in that post that answers the original question.

If this is the major complaint against Hyundai, I can point out worse AMERICAN companies that do their fair share of shady business.
Old 03-12-08, 11:32 AM
RXSF

i think i was very careful is saying just that the ends dont justify the means. if they dont commit questional business tactics, then fine. if they do, nobody really cares
Old 03-12-08, 11:37 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

i think i was very careful is saying just that the ends dont justify the means. if they dont commit questional business tactics, then fine. if they do, nobody really cares
You've just hopped around the question. I understand that you mean that no matter what, people will still buy the products.

I quote:

You said the 'justify' the means of getting there and by what questionable means are you assuming they get there?
Old 03-12-08, 11:42 AM
RXSF

assumptions that the workplace is not fair

and i quote

"The critics say his team micromanages details, rarely listens to advice from local managers, and displays little tolerance for disagreement"
uh oh, little tolerance for disagreement...will i be sent on a business dinner and then fired?

i have been using the term "questionable means". that can range from slave labor, to bad ideas. by ignoring profesionals who monitor the market, and continuing in trying to make hyundai prestigious, this can be a form of questionable means
Old 03-12-08, 12:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Will this story keep people from buying or even looking at Hyundai cars? Probably not.
Old 03-12-08, 12:12 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by TJW98LS

DOWN WITH HYUNDAI!
Originally Posted by BrianGS430
I'm curious to why you dislike Hyundai so much? Is it because they've become a threat or are you still stuck in the 80's and 90's?
Ha Ha I'm curious about that too but he probably won't list his real reason(s)

I don't think they are a threat to Lexus but probably Toyota and Scion.

assumptions that the workplace is not fair

and i quote

"The critics say his team micromanages details, rarely listens to advice from local managers, and displays little tolerance for disagreement"
uh oh, little tolerance for disagreement...will i be sent on a business dinner and then fired?

i have been using the term "questionable means". that can range from slave labor, to bad ideas. by ignoring profesionals who monitor the market, and continuing in trying to make hyundai prestigious, this can be a form of questionable means

If Hyundai was going down the drain that would be one thing but this company has grown tremendously.

It seems that ignoring those "professionals who monitor the market" has worked quite well for them.

I wonder who is the really behind this article as far as bringing it to the public maybe it's another car competitor
Old 03-12-08, 12:20 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I never knew this about Hyundai. I think this management style will lead to a downfall of the brand. The authoritarian style does not leave much room for adaptation to new challenges/environments. This will be especially problematic in trying to expand further in several international markets where a company needs to have sometimes a drastically different way of doing business to mesh with local culture.

Their whole push-through type of manufacturing is looking to be borderline wasteful in the light that they have 25,000 Sonata's just sitting collecting dust outside the plant. And the company is wondering why their profit margin is shrinking??

Quick Reply: My Way or the Highway at Hyundai