Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Way or the Highway at Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 08:19 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
In the past I would say a Ford Taurus or Chevy Cavalier would have been crappy cars IMHO that sold well.
in the 80s. i'm pretty sure 90s are dominated by honda civics and toyota corollas. But then again, z06 > *

The Acura NSX was a great car with a poor sales record.
hmm, 280hp for $70k is acceptable in '91, but not in '04. It's a great car but at $70k i'd rather get a p-car not because i get to have the shield (even though it's a plus), but it's just simply a better deal. Oh and how can i forget about the z06? z06 >*

The Ford Explorer IMHO is a crappy SUV with great sales record.
That's the first SUV that put the SUV in people's mind. Being first always has its advantages. But the z06 also seats 6, so z06 >*

How about a Dodge Neon?
Someone's gotta build rentals. Too bad they don't realy have z06s for rentals.

I thought the F50 Q45 was a good car (Not great) and it flopped in sales.
because the brand itself has an identity issue.

Today, the Acura RL is a great car with a poor sales record.
When the new accord is bigger than the RL, you will get problems. Its also missing 2 cylinders and the brand's position is about 10 years behind.

The Lexus ES350 is a not so great car with a great sales record.
At least it was faster than the '06 gs300, and a whole $10k cheaper.

Now, my idea of crap and great may be different than yours, but these are my examples.
z06 > *
Old 03-14-08, 11:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the past I would say a Ford Taurus or Chevy Cavalier would have been crappy cars IMHO that sold well. The Acura NSX was a great car with a poor sales record. The Ford Explorer IMHO is a crappy SUV with great sales record. How about a Dodge Neon? I thought the F50 Q45 was a good car (Not great) and it flopped in sales.
Well, the original Taurus was a great car, except that it was unreliable - but the unreliable factor came into play later, as the cars aged, and it immediately reflected on the sales of new Taurus.

Dodge Neon and Chevy Cavalier were crappy, but they were extremely cheap, so obviously they had their market.

NSX? Well it was an expensive car to begin with, and from what I know it did pretty well in the beginning, but sales eventually fell as competition level increased and Acura failed to redesign the NSX.

Infiniti Q45? The original one was awesome, especially in the Touring trim, and I believe it achieved fair sales numbers. But the second generation was the most horrendous miserable POS ever, and completely destroyed Q45's reputation, and the 3rd generation Q45 suffered because of that. Speaking of the 3rd generation Q45, it is a great used bargain, a lot of car for the going price.

Today, the Acura RL is a great car with a poor sales record. The Lexus ES350 is a not so great car with a great sales record. Now, my idea of crap and great may be different than yours, but these are my examples.
Well, the RL is suffering because of it's predcessor. The original Legend sold great, and quite frankly the new RL while is a great car, doesn't quite match the Legend. And with todays stiff competition in the 50K market, its just hard to chose the RL over GS350awd or M35x.
Old 03-14-08, 11:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Hyundai isn't a name, or a derivative word.

it simply means "modern" in Korean.

Hyundai, along with Samsung, is one of the biggest conglomerates that operate globally out of Korea. They do massive construction AND real estate, financial services, industrial manufacturing, consumer manufacturing, even agriculture... Hyundai isn't new to business and they know how to make money.

Sure the feudal lordship hierarchy of management might seem antiquated and shocking to western cultures--but Hyundai is a very successful global company--the automotive market is only a fraction of their global business direction. As others have stated, regardless the different management style, that exact style has created a product line rivalling that of companies that have been in the car business since the beginning. Hyundai Motors began its humble offerings by rebadging Korean-assembled Mitsubishi vans and compact cars back in the 1970s, but has become a namesake of a huge debate here in America whether they're going to affect Toyota and Honda's sales.

Only because Hyundai isn't a well-established brand here in the United States--it doesn't stand true in Korea. I remember even back in '80s, a Hyundai Sonata outside your front door was a big sign of success to the up-and-coming upper middle class. The Hyundai Grandeur (later rebadged for overseas markets as the XG series) was the top choice of government officials and executives who were chauffeured around their daily commute. Lately in recent years, Hyundai's creation of the Equus Executive Sedan (offering both regular and stretch-wheelbase versions) really kicked up the luxury car market in South Korea. Compared to Ssangyong's Chairman (a rebadged, reclad S-Class from two generations ago), the Equus Sedan presented a Korean-engineered and built product for the upper class. Koreans harbor a strong nationalist spirit--even in their materialistic consumption, and the proliferation of strong Korean brands in the home market is evidence to that. I have relatives and family friends in Korea who had been holding off a new car purchase (even when they had the money for a foreign brand car) just in anticipation of the "handsome Genesis."

As much as many of assume that Hyundai is taking a stupid dive into the luxury niche without avail--I'm sure this is what critics said of Toyota's introduction of the Lexus LS back in 1989.

The simple matter here is, Hyundai isn't here to dabble in the automotive market. They're here to play the game, and they've got the money to back their ventures.

Although there are striking similarities to VW's failed Phaeton, the Genesis doesn't cost an obscene amount of money like the Phaeton.
Well, just because Huyndai is an established brand in Korea, does not mean jack crap in United States. On this side of the pond, a Huyndai Accent outside of your window can be embarassing.

And even in Korea, how did Huyndai establish its name? Was it because they were such great cars with great values, or was it simply because they didn't have any competition from American, Japanese and European brands? You see, I grew up in Russia, and in the 80ies the most succesful automaker over the was Lada. The top of everyone's dreams was a Lada VAZ-2106, and you drove one, it meant you were really succesful. But the only reason these miserable trashcans were succesful is because there was nothing else, and other Russian cars were even worse. When Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, and European brands started to bring their cars over, Lada's quickly became the laughing stock of the industry, and now it is embarassing to be driving a Lada.
Old 03-14-08, 12:12 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, just because Huyndai is an established brand in Korea, does not mean jack crap in United States. On this side of the pond, a Huyndai Accent outside of your window can be embarassing.

And even in Korea, how did Huyndai establish its name? Was it because they were such great cars with great values, or was it simply because they didn't have any competition from American, Japanese and European brands? You see, I grew up in Russia, and in the 80ies the most succesful automaker over the was Lada. The top of everyone's dreams was a Lada VAZ-2106, and you drove one, it meant you were really succesful. But the only reason these miserable trashcans were succesful is because there was nothing else, and other Russian cars were even worse. When Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, and European brands started to bring their cars over, Lada's quickly became the laughing stock of the industry, and now it is embarassing to be driving a Lada.
The presence of BMW, Lexus, and Mercedez is quite high in Korea. Many exotics are found in Korea also: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bently, RR, etc.

Korean is not as third-world as you might think Och.
Old 03-14-08, 12:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe he's thinking about North Korea LOL
Old 03-14-08, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Today, the Acura RL is a great car with a poor sales record. The Lexus ES350 is a not so great car with a great sales record. Now, my idea of crap and great may be different than yours, but these are my examples.
You idea is NOT different from mine. I agree with you on both the RL and ES350.
Old 03-14-08, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
The presence of BMW, Lexus, and Mercedez is quite high in Korea. Many exotics are found in Korea also: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bently, RR, etc.
Those brands may be present, but that doesn't mean their sales aren't MASSIVELY disadvantaged by obscene tariffs against them. Hyundai has a massive advantage there just like other S. Korean brands.
Old 03-14-08, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You idea is NOT different from mine. I agree with you on both the RL and ES350.
For a different perspective on the two cars, Consumer Reports "Overall Test Score" on the two cars was:

91 points ES350
76 points RL
Old 03-14-08, 02:20 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430

Korean is not as third-world as you might think Och.
I agree with you Brian. I visited South Korea back in August '07 and was shocked to see the number of high end cars. I swear I would see at least 10 W221 S-Class' on the road everyday. I was also surprised to see the presence of numerous MB, BMW and Lexus dealerships.

Of course the prices on these vehicles are quite high. My friend purchased a BMW 530 last year and I think he paid the equiavlent of $80k USD.

Anyone who thinks South Korea is a third world country needs to spend a day in the Apkujong district (the South Korean equivalent to Rodeo Drive). High end eateries and shopping during the day and awesome night clubs in the evening. This is when you'll see lots of exotics come out to play.