Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru proves to be bad bet for Toyota shareholders

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=94lex83457;3360638]Well, Subaru should be happy with how well they sell here in the NW, they're everywhere! [QUOTE]

That's because they make some of the best all-weather cars for the money.

Their other big problem is exterior design. The last few years of the impreza looked like a pig and the Tribeca is still horrendous.
I agree...I never liked the Tribeca...but the Alfa-Romeo nose is gone this year, replaced by a much more conventional grille and front end.

Same with the Impreza....it is all-new this year, not just the front end, although the new interior has too much plastic for my tastes.

Old 03-14-08, 07:28 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No arguments there, bizzy. I like Subarus, as daily drivers, more than any other make....I have an Outback myself. But some of the newest 2008 and 2009 models are showing some serious signs of decontenting and cost-cutting. The new 2009 Forester, especially, is awful.
Thats very discontenting to hear. The Impreza is a bit small and the Forrester would be the logical step up. Same engine, drivetrain, and a little bit bigger. Plus with the price drop to 19k in the US, it makes great incentive importing the vehicle to Canada (26k here).

Special thanks goes to mmarshall too as he made himself avaliable for any questions prior to the Impreza purchase. Gave me a lot of great information!
Old 03-14-08, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Thats very discontenting to hear. The Impreza is a bit small and the Forrester would be the logical step up. Same engine, drivetrain, and a little bit bigger. Plus with the price drop to 19k in the US, it makes great incentive importing the vehicle to Canada (26k here).

Special thanks goes to mmarshall too as he made himself avaliable for any questions prior to the Impreza purchase. Gave me a lot of great information!
Thanks. and I'll give you some more info, right now, if you want to move up to a new Forester. In the meantime, a lot of '08 Foresters are still on the lot for sale, so you can compare them to the '09 and make your decision.

But in the meantime, based on the new '09 Foresters I HAVE seen, the '09s are strongly decontented over the '08's, even with the new L.L. Bean model.

Here are the main differences between the two: On the '09's:

1. The two-tone exterior paint is gone. All 2009 Foresters are now monotone.
2. The wood steering wheel and shift lever are now gone.
3. The coolant temperature gauge is gone, replaced by red/blue idot lights.
4. The cargo-area pull-cover is gone (though it can be added back as a dealer accessory)
5. The side-mirror-mounted turn signals are gone.
6. The instrument panel, dash and steering wheel are now the same as the new Impreza.....all solid plastic (it seems to be a thick, durable plastic, though).
7. The doors have gone to frame-surround windows, and they are much thinner and tinnier than the thick, solid doors on the '08s....you will notice this when you open and shut them.
8. There was no glove-compartment light on the prototype model, unless it was added back for production.
9. The new sunvisors are made of harder, less pleasant materials.

In other words, though the new 2009 Forester is wider and taller, inside and out, IMO, it is also C H E A P.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-08 at 07:51 PM.