Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Volkswagen EOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've only seen a couple in Atlanta. Wow over 38k, oh my.....VW really has to do something about their pricing. Very detailed review, thanks.

And I agree with Habious, CPO SC 430 is a no brainer at that price.
Thanks, Mike.

If you think a 38K Eos is pricey, I just posted a BMW 128i Convertible review for $41,000. Check it out.
Old 03-24-08, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
I don't know mmarshall's opinion of the SC430 and, (if you look at my signature) I'm pretty biased.

However, that being said, if you're looking for a hard-top convertible, and are looking to spend around $40K, you can get a very nice 2-3 year old CPO SC430 for that. That's exactly what I did and it's awesome! I feel like I got the best of both worlds.

I have the luxury features that come with the high-end car....I have the Lexus dealer/factory service and warranty coverage...all for the same price as the mid-level hard-top convertibles.

As I said, I'm biased but, that's just my thought. I bought a 2003 a little over a year ago for around $40k and just love it to death.

I've looked at the EOS and at the Volvo C70 hard-top. Both are nice cars, no question but, when I sit in one of them and compare it to the SC430, they just pale.

Now, I know we're talking new car versus 2-3 year old car but, we're also talking about new VW reliabilty versus used Lexus reliability...and, if you get a Certified Pre-Owned car, you still have a (almost) factory warranty.

What's your thought on this mmarshall?

In a nutshell, the SC430 has a marvelous interior, drivetrain, and paint job....and, of course, the trick folding hardtop. I've never liked its styling, though (to me, it looks like an Audi TT somewhat flattened out at the edges) and the rear seat is one of the most useless I've ever seen; even small children have little or no legroom if the front seat is back. Consider the back seat basically a package shelf.

Certified Pre-Owned cars, as you note, can indeed be a good deal (and a good warranty), but my experience, from looking at many of them, is that they are not always in quite as semi-brand-new condition as advertised. Engine/drivetrain fluids, worn tires, brakes, etc.... are usually replaced as needed, but many cosmetic things like scratches, chips, broken trim parts, etc.... are often not caught.
Old 03-24-08, 07:03 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

mmarshall,

I do agree, not all CPO cars are created equal. I got very lucky. I gave my dealer/salesman the criteria I was looking for (price, max mileage, color choices) and the dealership's "buyer" went and found me a car. It was 3 years old but only had 18K miles on the odo; I was thrilled! You're right though, it wasn't perfect. There were a few door-dings and there's a little spot on the passenger-side A-pillar where the clear-coat is eaten away a bit (looks like a glop of bird poop got on the car and wasn't cleaned up in a timely manner). But, I looked at it with the attitude of "Well, at least I won't have that sick-to-my-stomach feeling when the car gets its first door-ding...someone else saved me the trouble. The dealership also did a very nice job in prepping the car...touching up any dings as best they could.

Clearly, I could have just purchased a new SC430 that wouldn't have had any dings of flaws. But, I saved $25K off a new one by getting this one so, I have no issues at all with a flaw or two.

One of the nice things about searching for a used SC430 though is, you don't have the problem of finding a car with the options you want; there are basically no options on the SC430, they're all fully-loaded. Year, color combination and mileage...that's about it.

There was a guy on the SC430 board who got a one year old CPO SC430 that had like 300 miles on it! I don't really understand the seller on that one. I mean, that's like one tank of gas!

Bottom line is, yeah, finding a good CPO car is more work than just going and getting a "new" car but, if you do plenty of research and are willing to do the legwork, you can really get a lot of car for your $$$.
Old 03-24-08, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
mmarshall,

Clearly, I could have just purchased a new SC430 that wouldn't have had any dings of flaws. But, I saved $25K off a new one by getting this one so, I have no issues at all with a flaw or two.
Yes. Saving 25K, and not having to concern yourself with the first parking-lot ding are strong motives.

Just keep your shotgun handy for the first smart-alec kid that comes by and keys it.
Old 03-24-08, 08:58 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Just keep your shotgun handy for the first smart-alec kid that comes by and keys it.
I have to admit, that's the one thing I really didn't anticipate when I first got the car; the attention it gets. No one ever rolled down their window at a light and started a conversation with me about my Mitsubishi Lancer (non-Evo) or my Volvo 240. I've had the car over a year and I literally don't think a week has gone by where someone hasn't just come up to me and talked to me about it (even if it's just a "nice car" comment).

A homeless guy who was in the middle of the street begging for change once commented to me about wood trim on the interior. He was the nicest guy; it was surreal! I swear to God, it actually happened...and he didn't ask for any money, just wanted to talk about the wood trim while I waited for the light to change! That doesn't happen in a Volvo and, I bet it wouldn't happen in a Volkswagon.
Old 03-24-08, 09:14 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad a LOT of Eos owners have experienced severe water leakage from the awesome trick top. VW and the dealers have still not been able to fix the issue to this date:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f113ca0/0

Otherwise a fun little car indeed.
Old 03-24-08, 09:44 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Too bad a LOT of Eos owners have experienced severe water leakage from the awesome trick top. VW and the dealers have still not been able to fix the issue
Ouch...that's good information for anyone looking at the EOS.

Might not be a big deal for someone living in Southern California or in Arizona but, over here the DC metro area, it's rained probably an average of 3 days a week for the past month! A leaky roof would quite the PITA!
Old 03-24-08, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Too bad a LOT of Eos owners have experienced severe water leakage from the awesome trick top. VW and the dealers have still not been able to fix the issue to this date:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f113ca0/0

Otherwise a fun little car indeed.
Leaks are potentially more of a problem with folding hard-tops like the EOS than with traditional fabric-top convertibles because a fabric top can usually be put on in one piece.....it folds and wraps around the hinges and joints. Folding hard-tops, of course, have to be mounted with separate pieces, requiring seals between them. If the seals aren't perfect, obviously it won't be completely watertight.

You also have the issue of body/cowl flex with a convertible, which you don't with other body styles. Even the best convertibles (and the EOS is one of the better ones) have some small abount of body flex because of the loss of a reinforcing solid roof, and that flex will work against perfect seals.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 10:42 AM
LexFather

I just don't get it. Its nice but not luxurious. Its not powerful or overly sporty. IMO, it doesn't even look good. Yet its 38k?

Is it just ME or this thing should be 20-25k tops?

Lets not even add VW's dealer or quality rep (I wasn't aware of the leaky roof issue).

Honestly, I don't get VW or what they are trying to pull in America.

Old 03-24-08, 10:50 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Clearly, a roof leak is a potential problem for hard-top convertibles. However, I can tell you that the roof my SC430 has NEVER leaked one drop. Also, I just went a did a search in the SC430 sub-board using the words "roof" and "leak". There's a grand total of 2 threads. Both threads are like 4-5 years old...and one of those is threads is from a Porsche guy who predicts that the SC430 roof WILL leak (not that it does).

Clearly, there's an issue with the Volkswagon EOS and the roof leaking. This is NOT an issue with the Lexus SC430...even the older ones like I've got.

The SC430 is not "the perfect car" ($65K for a new one and satellite radio isn't even an option!?!?!?!)...it's got its quirks just like every other car. But, when the top is up, it's rock-solid and as quiet and leak-proof as any coupe.
Old 03-24-08, 10:56 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I just don't get it. Its nice but not luxurious. Its not powerful or overly sporty. IMO, it doesn't even look good. Yet its 38k?
That's exactly what my wife and I said when we saw them. It's not a BAD looking car...it's just...meh.

That's why I'm chiming in here. Park my SC430 next to it and say "For forty grand, pick one.". I really think you'd have to be some kind of hard-core Germophile to pick the Eos.

The VW's come new with a 4/50K warranty. The Lexus CPO warranty is 3/100K (total vehicle miles). And, it's a Lexus!
Old 03-24-08, 11:03 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Yet its 38k?.
By the way...just went to VW.com to price one out. If you add in the 6-disk changer and DVD-based Navigation system (which both come standard in all SC430's (except for a very few 2002's that were available without Nav)...it's actually more like $41.2K
Old 03-24-08, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Is it just ME or this thing should be 20-25k tops?

Lets not even add VW's dealer or quality rep (I wasn't aware of the leaky roof issue).

Honestly, I don't get VW or what they are trying to pull in America.
Well, several things here. First, I don't know what kind of EOS VW markets in Europe (I haven't seen it).....but here, of course, it is marketed as an upmarket VW product, not as an entry-level car. The U.S. market versions all have the leather or V-Tex interiors, not cheaper fabric or vinyl. Second, those who want a somewhat cheaper VW convertible can walk down to the other end of the showroom and look at the Beetle Convertible (minus the flower-stalk, of course, for those with testosterone) . Third, the American-market EOS convertibles are not built with particularly cheap labor....the ones I looked at had German-sourced powertrains and final-assembly at a plant in Portugal. Fourth, VW interiors may not always look limo-like, but, with the exception of cheap steering-column stalks, they use quality materials. You generally don't find junk inside of VWs like you do, say, in many Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products.

VW dealer reputation?.....there, you have a point, although part of the problem is that the cars are generally unreliable, so the service departments have a hard time keeping customers happy. At the VW-Subaru shop where I bought my Outback, on any given day, the VW technicians are usually far more busy than the Subaru guys.....probably 80% of the racks and lifts will have VWs on them rather than Subarus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-08 at 11:22 AM.