Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who really has the worst roads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 05:37 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now when I say Chicago, I was meaning the whole Chicago-land area, but after clubbing last night, I noticed the city itself is not that bad. Its the outer lying suburbs that have the worst potholes.

Its not just potholes either, its where the road starts to buckle and adds a speedbump where everyone is trying to maintain 70 mph, and the slabs that became uneven. Then there are the snobby rich bastard town that don't want construction in front of their house. (The nice rich community don't mind having new roads)
Old 03-16-08, 06:24 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipicanez
I noticed the city itself is not that bad. Its the outer lying suburbs that have the worst potholes.
I would think that it be the other way around with city roads being more crappier than the suburb roads.
Old 03-16-08, 07:32 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I would think that it be the other way around with city roads being more crappier than the suburb roads.
Yah, I was shocked!! I don't drive much to the city, perhaps once every couple of months, just for my daughter's remission checkups.

But Chicago had a crew out as soon as the roads cleared to put band aids out now that I think about it. They had it announced that they would pay for tire and suspension damage. Getting it patched up quick helps them save alot of money.
Old 03-16-08, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you drive up (or down) the long, 7-mile, winding grade on Allegheny Mountain between Bedford and Somerset....the one with the long tunnel through the top of the ridge? That is perhaps the most difficult......and most scenic.........part of the Turnpike.
I guess that's in the Western part of the state near Pittsburgh, so no, didn't see that part I don't think.
Old 03-16-08, 06:23 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipicanez
Now when I say Chicago, I was meaning the whole Chicago-land area, but after clubbing last night, I noticed the city itself is not that bad. Its the outer lying suburbs that have the worst potholes.
that's what i thought until i drove through the city last night. I-94 was all backed up b/c of construction, so i took city streets from skokie to downtown. It was THE WORST drive ever! Huge potholes, uneven pavements, craters, you name it!
Thank God i still have the 16" winter setup on and not the 19's, or i'd be crying!
Old 03-17-08, 12:35 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aliti19
that's what i thought until i drove through the city last night. I-94 was all backed up b/c of construction, so i took city streets from skokie to downtown. It was THE WORST drive ever! Huge potholes, uneven pavements, craters, you name it!
Thank God i still have the 16" winter setup on and not the 19's, or i'd be crying!
How long has it been since Chicago has started road work? I drove through for dinner on my way home to Michigan from Iowa and construction was horrible. Traffic was backed up for a while and the exits were redirected everywhere and didn't make too much sense. iirc, they started two years ago?
Old 03-18-08, 12:40 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

This Winter has been the worst i've ever seen. Michigan is by far the worst, a pot hole forms in front of you. I travel to Chicago twice a year every year, Chicago is no where near Detroit.

I take alternate routes everyday to work and school.
Old 03-18-08, 11:06 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX_330
How long has it been since Chicago has started road work? I drove through for dinner on my way home to Michigan from Iowa and construction was horrible. Traffic was backed up for a while and the exits were redirected everywhere and didn't make too much sense. iirc, they started two years ago?
Road work has been going on forever in Chicago and it will NEVER end. As soon as one major highway is finished, another one needs work.
Old 03-18-08, 11:19 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting. Honolulu doesn't get freezing and thawing or road salt either...the primary cause of potholes and road damage.

On the continental U.S., Washington, D.C. and New York City, in my experience, have the worst urban roads. Michigan and Northeastern Ohio, both in the Snow Belt of the Great Lakes, have the overall worst.
i thought the primary cause of potholes was standing water puddles?

something that hawaii has A LOT of.

the equipment is old as well. sucky.

BUT LOS ANGELES is the worst by far. not a smooth road i can think of!