Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

F1 season starts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 01:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Maybe you should re-watch the race. Raikkonen was carrying a fair amount of speed when he ended up on the gravel. And I do recall that his car was very close to the wall when he spun out. On the other hand Glock didn't hit the wall because he was nowhere close to a wall. In fact Glock was busy flying up in the air and destroying his car on the way down. The bottom line is that Raikkonen managed to recover from his mistake whereas Glock didn't.
Get a clue.......seriously.

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
It's all moot anyway. Neither Toyota - in constructor - nor its two drivers will be in position to win anything meaningful. The car - FT108 - is just not good enough. It's gonna be McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, and Renault fighting for all the cake and scraps.
The Toyota at the moment is faster than the Renault, without question. More appropriate would be Ferrari/McLaren, BMW/Williams-Toyota, Toyota perhaps?
Old 03-18-08, 01:54 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alonzo will get his ***** together and compete for podium spots. My original "McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, and Renault" was not necessarily the order I think who will finish in constructor's championship. I would say it's 1 McLaren, 2 BMW, 3 Ferrari. And between 4 drivers who's on Toyota engine, and Alonzo, Alonzo will finish with more points at the end of the season in the driviner's standing.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Get a clue.......seriously.

The Toyota at the moment is faster than the Renault, without question. More appropriate would be Ferrari/McLaren, BMW/Williams-Toyota, Toyota perhaps?
Old 03-18-08, 01:59 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't understand this criticism of Glock. What led you to the assumption he is a "Ralf Clone"? Is it the fact that he is the reigning GP2 champion?
After only ONE race this season, you're calling him a "Ralf clone"?
He's a Ralf clone because he destroys his car. Did Trulli destroy his car???

It's funny that you're criticizing Glock, an F1 rookie for making a rookie mistake on a track he had never raced on before. That mistake combined with bad luck led to the crash. Yet, you seem to be perfectly fine with a veteran driver (Raikkonen) making two rookie mistakes during the race.
Raikkonen may have made two "rookie" mistakes but he recovered from them and did not destroy his car. You're right, Glock is a rookie and it showed in the Australian GP. At least you admit that Glock is a rookie unlike others here who are in denial.

Michael Schumacher over the years had some spectacularly awful crashes, including one I believe at Albert Park. Are you going to start calling him a "Ralf clone" too ?
This isn't about Michael Schumacher, this is about how inexperienced Glock is.

Like I said, several drivers have complained about that section of Albert Park, including Hamilton.
Hamilton can complain about that section all he wants but at least he can manage remaining intact driving through that section.
Old 03-18-08, 02:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Alonzo will get his ***** together and compete for podium spots. My original "McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, and Renault" was not necessarily the order I think who will finish in constructor's championship. I would say it's 1 McLaren, 2 BMW, 3 Ferrari. And between 4 drivers who's on Toyota engine, and Alonzo, Alonzo will finish with more points at the end of the season in the driviner's standing.
I highly doubt that. Nico Rosberg in his Toyota-powered Williams has the best chance of finishing with more points than Alonso.

Unless Renault significantly improves their car during the season, they will struggle for points, even with Alonso.
Old 03-18-08, 02:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Raikkonen may have made two "rookie" mistakes but he recovered from them and did not destroy his car. You're right, Glock is a rookie and it showed in the Australian GP. At least you admit that Glock is a rookie unlike others here who are in denial.

Hamilton can complain about that section all he wants but at least he can manage remaining intact driving through that section.
No, according to you this is about Glock being a "Ralf clone". I ask you once again why is he a "Ralf Clone"? Because he destroyed his car? Michael Schumacher has destroyed his car before, so is he a "Ralf Clone" too? You failed to answer that.

Kubica destroyed his BMW last year at the Montreal GP, so according to your logic he definitely must be a "Ralf clone" .

Or what about Ayrton Senna and his tragic accident? Are you willing to go so far as to criticize *anyone* that crashes as a "Ralf clone"?

Glock is simply human, just like every other driver. His first time racing at Albert Park, his first time racing an F1 car without electronic aids, and his first full season in F1. Of course he was bound to make mistakes.

Raikkonen's mistakes are inexcusable though. Doesn't matter if he saved the car and didn't crash. With Raikkonen, those mistakes should have never happened at all.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 03-18-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 02:26 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Well I guess we will find out at the end of the season who will have more points between Rosberg vs Alonso but consider that it was his first and only podium finish in his entire F1 career for Leonardo DiCaprio lookalike and Alonso, despite being a jack@55, is still a two time formal F1 champ and never finished below 6th at the end of the season since 2003. I would bet on Alonso everyday and twice on raceday vs Rosberg

I highly doubt that. Nico Rosberg in his Toyota-powered Williams has the best chance of finishing with more points than Alonso.

Unless Renault significantly improves their car during the season, they will struggle for points, even with Alonso.
Old 03-18-08, 02:34 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't amazing how we all watched the same coverage (i've yet to dl the ITV version/comentary) yet everyone 'seen' different things... Its all subjective guys and we cant judge drivers/cars/teams on the FIRST race of season.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 03-18-08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 06:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

hmmm I think Rosberg will have more points than Alonso and Trulli will finish within 10 points of Alonso, but likely infront.

It's not so much about him getting his **** together, but more a case that all 4 Toyota powered cars are currently faster than his Renault. Both Williams and Toyota have a good development rate over the course of a season.

About the order, Ferrari I think is still the fastest car at this point in time. Reliability is their problem .... and maybe Massa....but that's another story

I'll also bet that Alonso never wins another championship in his life, unless he ends up driving for Ferrari witha sub standard teammate
Old 03-18-08, 06:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Jesus, the Kid gets into ONE accident and you proclaim him a car wrecker (or in your inadequate, inept and incorrect correlation a 'Ralph clone')?

Sorry to get personal, but you are truly an Idiot.

1-Yes, he is a rookie, but a rookie who is GP2 Champion, like Hamilton (who crashed more than once in his debut season last year) and Nico (who has also dumped his car into the Kitty litter a few times). He has got Talent, that is why he was contracted. Toyota has only hired old drivers, it was time for them to get some new blood.

2-Kimi didn't go off in the same corner that Glock did. Anyones, who went over that bump, race would have been over. Period.

3-You seem to have something personal against Timo. He is a good driver and done a fair share of driving. Albert Park is new to him, he would be inexperienced here, but he is not new to racing.

4-Ralph was a great driver before his 2 consecutive crashes at Indy. He lost some of his edge and drive after that, but it doesn't take away that he was a pretty good (and race winning.....something a lot of others in F1 can't claim to be) driver. A huge crash changes you, I'm sure you've never been in one, much less in one going at close to 300 KPH.

Stop trolling. Seriously. You use the screen name F1 driver, but you seem to know jack **** about F1. Have much fun lapping Albert Park on your playstation?
Old 03-18-08, 07:02 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Like I said, we will see who will finish ahead of who and by how much at the end of the season. We can argue until cows come home. But you are picking Rosberg who had 20pts last year and Trulli who had grand total of 8 last year over Alonso who's not too far removed from F1 championship. That's only 8 pts more than my dog for Trulli. He only finished in points at 4 races and at 6th 7th - twice and 8th. At least Rosberg is young enough where you could hope for some improvement. I don't know where in NY you live but I would gladly take a prop bet Alonso vs Trulli pts vs pts this 2008 F1 season.

Reliability is important part of the equation as far as getting points and winning championship. Reliability of the machine as well as the drivers. In order to win a race, you first gotta finish the race.

hmmm I think Rosberg will have more points than Alonso and Trulli will finish within 10 points of Alonso, but likely infront.

It's not so much about him getting his **** together, but more a case that all 4 Toyota powered cars are currently faster than his Renault. Both Williams and Toyota have a good development rate over the course of a season.

About the order, Ferrari I think is still the fastest car at this point in time. Reliability is their problem .... and maybe Massa....but that's another story

I'll also bet that Alonso never wins another championship in his life, unless he ends up driving for Ferrari witha sub standard teammate

Last edited by kt22cliff; 03-18-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 07:52 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Like I said, we will see who will finish ahead of who and by how much at the end of the season. We can argue until cows come home. But you are picking Rosberg who had 20pts last year and Trulli who had grand total of 8 last year over Alonso who's not too far removed from F1 championship. That's only 8 pts more than my dog for Trulli. He only finished in points at 4 races and at 6th 7th - twice and 8th. At least Rosberg is young enough where you could hope for some improvement. I don't know where in NY you live but I would gladly take a prop bet Alonso vs Trulli pts vs pts this 2008 F1 season.

Reliability is important part of the equation as far as getting points and winning championship. Reliability of the machine as well as the drivers. In order to win a race, you first gotta finish the race.

umm cliff I'm not arguing with you. I made a prediction based on the facts that have presented themselves.

This year Alonso is not at McLaren (who had one of the fastest cars on the grid, and a rookie partner......who beat him), he is at Renault in a dog of a car compared to the one he won his championships in, and he has to thank his lucky stars that 2 Toyotas, 2 Ferraris, a BMW, and a TORRO ROSSO didn't finish, so that he could score that many points.

Point to note, Trulli beat Alonso 2 of the 3 years they were both at Renault.

You make a good point in that reliability is important to be able to finish a race and collect points, but there is a reason why if you ask any team on the F1 grid, they will tell you that they prefer a fast unreliable car to a slow reliable one.

p.s. I'm not living in NY right now, just a bit lazy to change my profile...
Old 03-18-08, 07:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually i HOPE the backstabber loses his F1 seat and never returns... Even before Stephenygate i never liked him... he's like too arrogant, too full of himself, lacks humility... you get my point. i HOPE renault bombs this yr BECAUSE they took him back.

As for F1Driver, i will ignore his posts as i dont feel he is really saying anything.
Old 03-18-08, 08:12 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Actually the two year they were at Renault, Alonso had more pts

Trulli
2003 8th 33pts
2004 6th 46pts

Alonso
2003 6th 55pts
2004 4th 59pts

umm cliff I'm not arguing with you. I made a prediction based on the facts that have presented themselves.

This year Alonso is not at McLaren (who had one of the fastest cars on the grid, and a rookie partner......who beat him), he is at Renault in a dog of a car compared to the one he won his championships in, and he has to thank his lucky stars that 2 Toyotas, 2 Ferraris, a BMW, and a TORRO ROSSO didn't finish, so that he could score that many points.

Point to note, Trulli beat Alonso 2 of the 3 years they were both at Renault.

You make a good point in that reliability is important to be able to finish a race and collect points, but there is a reason why if you ask any team on the F1 grid, they will tell you that they prefer a fast unreliable car to a slow reliable one.

p.s. I'm not living in NY right now, just a bit lazy to change my profile...