Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe so. If they do a luxury brand and the cars continue to improve (2nd gen Genesis, etc) Hyundai will dominate the 2/3 tier segment. I don't see people jumping from their BMW, Benz, Lexus to them but everyone else should be really scared.

If they launch with the same focus as Lexus.....scary thought.... (and the won continues to stay favorable).
well thats exactly it - it is not same focus as Lexus... otherwise, they would have launched Genesis as separate luxury brand vehicle, in different dealers.

Separating cars in showroom wont make much difference and most importantly, they already launched it without it.

Problem is you have to spend billions on building new dealer showrooms, marketing, etc, etc... and thats the only way you can build new luxury brand.
Old 01-02-10, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
maybe genesis will sell more with a new luxury badge? selling 1500 genesis is doable IMO especially with a better dealership experience with no hyundai badge. they are selling 1000 genesis with a hyundai badge.

but the bread and butter will be RX fighter. santa fe is already a fantastic ride, so just give it a genesis treatment and add 10k to it's price tag. now you have RX alternative for 4k cheaper.

hyundai should do it.
Did you ever hear about Hyundai Veracruz? It is RX competitor launched by Hyundai, aimed directly at RX, with ads comparing it to RX. It sold 459 units last month.

lets see the quote from their page:

Presenting Veracruz, an IIHS Top Safety Pick7 and the luxury crossover utility vehicle that bested the far pricier Lexus RX 350 in a comparison by Motor Trend, leading them to conclude “It drives as well, rides with aplomb, and feels all of a piece.”

With room for seven, more total cargo space than the Mercedes GL450, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s highest five-star front- and side-impact crash ratings14, the Veracruz isn’t just a crossover, it’s a benchmark
I think their strategy of competing with Toyota is not working well for them... Only thing that works for them is huge discounts that are possible due to low value of korean won, but their expensive cars are not selling in the usa. Azera sold 246, Veracruz 459 and Genesis 1751 between two cars, and all 3 are heavily discounted, as well as Genesis (you can get $3k off Genesis by just going to their website).

I think Hyundai is lucky that won is so low and they can discount their cars heavily and still make money on them.
Old 01-02-10, 04:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree, the Veracruz hasn't cut it an RX alternative. Hyundai needs to do something different, maybe a spruced up Santa Fe would be the answer. Who knows? They have to convince the consumer.

They seem to be committed and persistent though
Old 01-02-10, 06:18 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
(you can get $3k off Genesis by just going to their website).
Hmmm. . . I haven't seen this on the genesisowners.com website or hyundaiusa.com. Can you elaborate on this?
Old 01-02-10, 07:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am impressed with Hyundai. They remind me of Lexus back in the day
Old 01-02-10, 09:14 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't been to a Hyundai dealership, but the question for me would be: even though everyone says the Genesis is 'impressive' etc, is it actually an impressive car? or is it impressive for a Hyundai.
Old 01-02-10, 11:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
but people know it's still a Hyundai. yuck!

Just because they have improved, doesn't mean they weren't extremely crappy some time ago. And I personally think there still might be a trace of it left.
I dont know about you but I would buy a Genesis before I bought an American car. They both sucked in the past. GM sucked worse though imo
Old 01-03-10, 12:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

With a car like this to enter the new line up I would say they are in good shape

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/w...-split-off-lu/
Old 01-03-10, 12:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree, there are already issues with the Genesis not selling. And there are name issues, with "Genesis" plastered on a cheaper sports car. So what would they call the current Genesis sedan, the "Genesis Genesis?" Messed up.
I see Hyundai building themselves gradually, but I think it's too soon to be branching off into small niches.
Old 01-03-10, 04:44 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, there are already issues with the Genesis not selling. And there are name issues, with "Genesis" plastered on a cheaper sports car. So what would they call the current Genesis sedan, the "Genesis Genesis?" Messed up.
I see Hyundai building themselves gradually, but I think it's too soon to be branching off into small niches.
I doubt very highly they will call the brand "Genesis". If anything, the brand will probably be called "Equus" and the VS460 will be their flagship. I agree there are naming issues for the Genesis sedan. They can't exactly call it an "Equus Genesis" either, cuz that sounds weird as well. They will either have to rename the Genesis to an alpha numerical name or keep the Genesis within the Hyundai lineup as the brand's flagship and rebadge the Genesis under the Equus name. Either way, they have some decisions to make. They will also need a RWD entry level sedan slotted BELOW the Genesis sedan, but I'm sure Hyundai also knows this.

I actually think them splitting off existing Hyundai dealerships into their luxury brand division (ala Toyota/Scion) is a smart idea. I suggested they do this years ago. It makes the most economical sense and will save them tons vs. if they were to invest in an entirely separate dealership network. I think Hyundai realizes that they can't really compete with the big boys if their luxury cars are going to be sold under the Hyundai name. They're taking a risk with starting a new luxury brand, but at least they're minimizing the risk somewhat by using this strategy.
Old 01-03-10, 05:04 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I doubt very highly they will call the brand "Genesis". If anything, the brand will probably be called "Equus" and the VS460 will be their flagship.
Why don't they just call it LS460

Pretty soon I'm sure they are gonna come out with SUVs called MX570 and BX350

Last edited by lex; 01-03-10 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-03-10, 04:27 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Vera Cruz is a Hyundai with a Hyundai badge. It's not a luxury SUV like RX. it's basically a highlander level.

a separate Genesis Branded SUV will do better than 500 a month because the badge matters IMO.
Old 01-04-10, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn’t that article from March 08? A lot of things could have change since then.
In my opinion, I think it’s a mistake for Hyundai to introduce a luxury division in this economy. The sales number for the Genesis haven’t been exactly jumping off the charts. Hyundai should really delay the new luxury division and do it right. The worst thing they can do is go half ares and divide the existing Hyundai dealership into two. Some of these Hyundai dealers are in pretty bad shape and they really need to seperate any assocation the luxury brand have with Hyundai. They need to do it right like Lexus did 20 year ago, built all new dealership and start with 100% customer service satisfaction. That is how they will succeed, provide the same customer service as Lexus, but with cars that cost $10000 less.
Old 01-09-10, 03:34 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And in many cases committing massive intellectual property theft.
Yeah, like the Japanese weren't the biggest perpetrators at one point.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If this is true, then I think it's a GREAT idea. I have said this from the very beginning: the Genesis should have never been made a Hyundai. Hyundai should have unveiled the Genesis under a new luxury brand.
It simply wasn't feasible to support a new brand and dealer network w/ one model (2 if you add the coupe which came out later).

Before Hyundai launches a separate lux brand, they need to have a higher volume entry level sedan (which they reportedly are working on presently).

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While the Genesis has been a good car it has fallen below sales expectations as has been discussed in the monthly sales threads. Good luck selling dealers on a car that is even more expensive when they have plenty of Genesis collecting dust on the lot.
The Genesis sedan is only about 20% off its sales expectations of 20k units annually (keep in mind the projections were made prior to the economic downturn).

The coupe, otoh...

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It seems sort of unclear how they are trying to position the brand but I guess their plan will look clearer in time. It looks like they are slowly inching towards a more apparent division between cars like the Sonata and those like the Genesis or Equus, but a section of the showroom a la Toyota/Scion is not sufficient for selling $40-$60K luxury cars.

Interesting...
Keep in mind that Toyota sells the $60K+ Land Cruiser next to the cheap Yaris.

Anyhow, this is just a temporary situation (Hyundai should have done this when they launched the Genesis sedan 11/2 years ago) since Hyundai has plans to launch a separate lux brand in about 5-6 years time.

Originally Posted by trukn1
Would be interesting if they ARE able to pull it off. Even starting off the luxo-division with only 2 models (Genesis and EQuus) may be be foundation of something big for them. I know it sounds kinda silly with starting a whole new line with only 2 models, but it can work. Look at the success that Lexus has enjoyed over its;lifetime. When they launched in 89, the only 2 models they had were the LS400 and ES250.
As stated before, any new luxo division would need a volume seller (entry level sedan).

Originally Posted by joe80
maybe genesis will sell more with a new luxury badge? selling 1500 genesis is doable IMO especially with a better dealership experience with no hyundai badge. they are selling 1000 genesis with a hyundai badge.
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree, there are already issues with the Genesis not selling.
The Genesis sedan is already selling at a 1,500 monthly clip.

It's sales of the coupe that is the problem.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I doubt very highly they will call the brand "Genesis". If anything, the brand will probably be called "Equus" and the VS460 will be their flagship. I agree there are naming issues for the Genesis sedan. They can't exactly call it an "Equus Genesis" either, cuz that sounds weird as well. They will either have to rename the Genesis to an alpha numerical name or keep the Genesis within the Hyundai lineup as the brand's flagship and rebadge the Genesis under the Equus name. Either way, they have some decisions to make. They will also need a RWD entry level sedan slotted BELOW the Genesis sedan, but I'm sure Hyundai also knows this.

I actually think them splitting off existing Hyundai dealerships into their luxury brand division (ala Toyota/Scion) is a smart idea. I suggested they do this years ago. It makes the most economical sense and will save them tons vs. if they were to invest in an entirely separate dealership network. I think Hyundai realizes that they can't really compete with the big boys if their luxury cars are going to be sold under the Hyundai name. They're taking a risk with starting a new luxury brand, but at least they're minimizing the risk somewhat by using this strategy.
Originally Posted by The G Man
Isn’t that article from March 08? A lot of things could have change since then.
In my opinion, I think it’s a mistake for Hyundai to introduce a luxury division in this economy. The sales number for the Genesis haven’t been exactly jumping off the charts. Hyundai should really delay the new luxury division and do it right. The worst thing they can do is go half ares and divide the existing Hyundai dealership into two. Some of these Hyundai dealers are in pretty bad shape and they really need to seperate any assocation the luxury brand have with Hyundai. They need to do it right like Lexus did 20 year ago, built all new dealership and start with 100% customer service satisfaction. That is how they will succeed, provide the same customer service as Lexus, but with cars that cost $10000 less.
Hyundai has plans to launch a lux marque in about 5-6 years time to coincide w/ the launch of the next gen Genesis sedan, GenCoupe (which will go upmarket and include a V8 variant) and Equus.

Hyundai is also working on a smaller RWD sedan (to be built on a shortened Genesis platform) and they likely are also working on a crossover (also to be likely built on the Genesis platform).

Of course, things may change in 5-6 years time, but that's the current plan.
Old 01-09-10, 05:44 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lex
but people know it's still a Hyundai. yuck!

Just because they have improved, doesn't mean they weren't extremely crappy some time ago. And I personally think there still might be a trace of it left.
Im not saying i would buy a Hyundai, but did you forget when Toyota and Honda was CRAP? and they moved up the scale to be a very successful manufacurer.
However it took them many more years to do that unlike Hyundai, they have moved up the scale faster and in a shorter amount of time.
Hyundais were crappy as early 2000's in less than a decade the have come a VERY long way. What other manufacurer can do that?

Quick Reply: Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010