Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 05:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Im not saying i would buy a Hyundai, but did you forget when Toyota and Honda was CRAP? and they moved up the scale to be a very successful manufacurer.
However it took them many more years to do that unlike Hyundai, they have moved up the scale faster and in a shorter amount of time.
Hyundais were crappy as early 2000's in less than a decade the have come a VERY long way. What other manufacurer can do that?
Well, when Toyota and Honda were crap, so was everything else. And I would even say that Toyota and Honda never made a really bad car. They made a lot of very basic, minimalistic vehicles, but they were cheap, reliable and economical, and none of them were as God awful as 99% of post oil crisis American cars or most of European abortions of those times. In a very short time Japanese got very far ahead of everyone else. Sorry, but Hyindai is nowhere near.
Old 01-09-10, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to agree. There was no recent period where honda and toyota were crap. Unless you are referring to the 60's and 70's when they were micro cars compared to the huge American tanks of the 70's. Im old but not that old. They have always made very good, reliable, and relatively inexpensive cars.

I dont think that hyundai is were toyota or honda are but they look exactly the same in their genesis ( no pun intended) and are probably advancing faster than the Japanese did. Thats probably because of the trust that Americans have for Japanese cars. The taste for import cars has grown over the last 30 years. This will only get more customers to wander into Hyundai show rooms. Look at the sales numbers. Hyundai is the only car company that has grown its sales over the last 4 qtrs.
Old 01-10-10, 12:14 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, when Toyota and Honda were crap, so was everything else. And I would even say that Toyota and Honda never made a really bad car. They made a lot of very basic, minimalistic vehicles, but they were cheap, reliable and economical, and none of them were as God awful as 99% of post oil crisis American cars or most of European abortions of those times. In a very short time Japanese got very far ahead of everyone else. Sorry, but Hyindai is nowhere near.
Uhh, during the '60s and much of the '70s, Japanese cars were dismissed as cheap rust buckets.

It really wasn't until the '80s that they started to be seen on par, and then better than the domestics.

And saying that Hyundai is nowhere near is just laughable.

Both the former CEO of Toyota and current CEO of Honda would disagree with your (as usual) ludicrous assertions.

Heck, the current Elantra and Sonata consistently beat out the Corolla and Camry in test comparisons done by the major auto mags and they aren't exactly world beaters.
Old 01-10-10, 03:44 AM
Epik151
Driver

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ucks/rankings/

Two cars made the rankings from each Toyota and Honda. Four from Hyundai. One from Kia.
Old 01-10-10, 11:55 AM
LexFather

I am going to ask the pro-Hyundai crowd to stop bringing up Toyota whenever Hyundai is mentioned. We are talking about Hyundai, not Toyota, not Lexus. Make your points without trying to imply Toyota did/does the same thing. This is a Lexus forum.

I am also going to ask those that do not like Hyundai to stop making the same "copy" argument over and over. Everyone copies and some do it better than others.

Old 01-11-10, 06:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I wonder what the new Hyundai luxury logo will look like, Hyundai really needs a new logo since they are too ashame to put the current Hyundai logo in the Genesis.
Old 01-11-10, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YEH
The Genesis sedan is already selling at a 1,500 monthly clip.

It's sales of the coupe that is the problem.
If I recall correctly, Hyundai combined coupe and sedan sales into one figure a few months ago, and since then that number has been somewhere around 1200-1500 units ever since. December was the exception when they sold 2300 cars.

That would put the sedan sales closer to 1000-1200 a month with the coupe making up the remainder, right?
Old 01-13-10, 02:14 AM
kpeezy
Driver School Candidate

they have definitely been stepping up their game lately here in the us.
Old 01-19-10, 07:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, this is hilarious!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4uiO...eature=related
Old 01-20-10, 09:38 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
So, you were asked by mods not to keep arguing, but you couldn't help yourself could you? Your hatred of all things Hyundai runs so deep that you have to randomly post a 7 year old clip to get in another cheap shot?
Old 01-20-10, 09:40 AM
LexFather

Okay guys lets keep this on topic. Thanks

Old 01-20-10, 09:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am looking forward to a new luxury brand from Hyundai. If the Genesis sedan is a good indication of what to expect I would say they are on the right track
Old 01-20-10, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed. And I would also like to suggest that, if you have not already done so, some of you Hyundai-bashers actually go out, examine, and test-drive some newer Hyundai products before casting stones. Mike and I were once doubters/cynics.......but we saw for ourselves how their products vastly improved.

Old 01-20-10, 10:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. And I would also like to suggest that, if you have not already done so, some of you Hyundai-bashers actually go out, examine, and test-drive some newer Hyundai products before casting stones. Mike and I were once doubters/cynics.......but we saw for ourselves how their products vastly improved.

[/img]
Well, I am one of those Hyundai-bashers who actually test drove a few Hyundai products. There is no doubt the product itself has improve since my old Hyundai in college, 25 years ago. When compare to the competition, Hyundai has the edge in some area but it is lacking in other areas. The whole Hyundai line up need refinement, its missing that little something if you know what I mean. On top of that, the dealership is terrible. The Hyundai dealership makes my local Toyota dealership look like Taj Mahal. In the end, one have to consider is it worth it to save a few thousand dollars to step down to the Hyundai name plate. That is a queation I have yet to answer myself as I am considering the Genesis as my next car.
Old 01-20-10, 10:20 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why not just get to the root of the problem and that's those that insist on coming into Hyundai threads simply to TC? I mean, it's not like Hyundai supporters are bringing up Toyota copying arguments or other defenses out of the blue. There's always been a Hyundai-bashing instigator who starts it all.

Quick Reply: Hyundai to Launch Luxury Brand in 2010