Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers File Suit Against Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 02:57 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealers File Suit Against Toyota

This may explain some of the dealer ads I've noticed of late that appear more turf war oriented than I have ever noticed.

It cannot be a good thing to have dealers suing Toyota.

Toyota’s Middlemen Business Practice Uncovered

Toyota has its back to the wall as the company received a lawsuit from its dealers regarding one of their business practices involving the use of independent distributors as a medium to sell their cars. Looks like Toyota was caught with their pants down on this one...

http://toyotabullrun.blogspot.com/20...-practice.html
Old 03-17-08, 03:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I don't understand what the law suit is over?
Old 03-17-08, 03:54 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I guess I don't understand what the law suit is over?
The dealers do not like having to go through middlemen who are setting the prices, the trim packages/allocations etc.

It is explained a little better here but to see the actual suit published in a legal publication will take a few weeks since it was so recently filed.

Toyota's unknown business partners

A pair of independent distributors skim the cream from the automaker's U.S. sales
By Alex Taylor III, senior editor

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- A lawsuit among Toyota dealers has shed new light on one of the Japanese automaker's less well-known business practices: its use of independent distributors to sell cars in the United States.
The use of distributors is a practice that has been followed by Toyota (TM) for decades but one that provides little apparent benefit -- either for the company or its customers. The distributors act as middlemen -- buying cars from Toyota and reselling them to local dealers at a considerable profit. They control large swaths of territory in the South and Southwest, where Toyota sales are growing briskly.http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/28/news...oyota.fortune/
Old 03-17-08, 03:56 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Ooops.......
Old 03-17-08, 04:03 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
Ooops.......
LOL...I am going to set up a psychic hotline because I had just posted about 2 weeks ago in Feb sales I predict dealer A was going to punch out dealer B (the middleman dealer)...Who knew it could happen j/k
Old 03-17-08, 04:11 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I wonder how this affects our Hawaii Toyota/Lexus dealerships. I don't know how it works exactly, but all Toyota and Lexus cars are imported through Servco. All Toyota and Lexus dealerships are thus Servco Toyota or Lexus. Basically everyone gets their cars through them. The MSRPs are the same, but if this practice affects what the independent dealers have to pay for the car it could be interesting.
Old 03-17-08, 04:17 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the whole US auto dealership law needs to be over hauled. Its the 21st century and we don't need a opec like oligopoly on car dealerships. We need to join other countries that allow customer's to purchase driectly from the manufacturer, cut out the middle men, let people buy over the internet and test drive vehicles at corporate events like Lexus and GM do at auto shows and invitations etc. Dealers are fine for people that want them, just like realtors and travel agents are fine for people that want them, but it should no longer be against the law to buy/sell cars without a middleman in the transaction to add on "undercoatings, paint sealants, and other misc crap that dealers force you to take or you can't have their car". Total BS.

I hope this lawsuit back fires and at least gets the public noticing the dealers in the US are protected b a law that goes back to the 1930's, I hate the NADA lobbyists in washington almost as mucha s I hate the NAR lobbyists (who are now getting taken to court by the DOJ for similar anticompetitive practices reguarding their MLS).
Old 03-17-08, 04:23 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
the whole US auto dealership law needs to be over hauled. Its the 21st century and we don't need a opec like oligopoly on car dealerships. We need to join other countries that allow customer's to purchase driectly from the manufacturer, cut out the middle men, let people buy over the internet and test drive vehicles at corporate events like Lexus and GM do at auto shows and invitations etc. Dealers are fine for people that want them, just like realtors and travel agents are fine for people that want them, but it should no longer be against the law to buy/sell cars without a middleman in the transaction to add on "undercoatings, paint sealants, and other misc crap that dealers force you to take or you can't have their car". Total BS.

I hope this lawsuit back fires and at least gets the public noticing the dealers in the US are protected b a law that goes back to the 1930's, I hate the NADA lobbyists in washington almost as mucha s I hate the NAR lobbyists (who are now getting taken to court by the DOJ for similar anticompetitive practices reguarding their MLS).
Toy I see now why the dealers are pissed, from your input there is a middleman between a dealer being viewed as a middleman, it's 2 levels away from Toyota rather than just one.

All I can say is the dealers had to be really fed up to do this because in the meantime they have to take any crap for doing it from the middlemen and maybe also from Toyota for doing it. But since there are so many of them maybe it won't be too bad for them
Old 03-17-08, 05:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i know what cars i want, i want to buy direct, cut the dealer BS
Old 03-17-08, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Fine.....but how would you suggest that warranty repairs and service be done? Warranty repairs, of course, have to be done at factory-authorized outlets, with factory-original or factory-approved parts. And some manufacturers, like BMW, give several years of free or discounted service. You can't expect take a new $90,000 car with extremely complex electronics and hardware like, say, a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 760, down the street to Smiling Sam's Bulls**t Garage and expect the people there to be able to make an adequate repair...or expect the factory, under those circumstances, to accept the warranty claim and reimburse the shop for for it.

Take the Camry and Accord, for instance....much simpler cars. Almost a half-million of EACH are sold, brand-new, every year.....it has been that way for years. You can't have millions cars going all the way back to back to the factory for simple oil changes or minor service. The auto plants are too busy producing NEW cars to deal with stuff like that......that is why you have local dealerships and service bays to start with.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-08 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 06:39 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

haha,

Knew this would happen...

I was with Toyota for 7 years.....from sales to Finance....

Good ol'e GULF STATES Toyota is responsible for the whole southwest region.

anywhere from pinstripes to floormats and leather.....this is where it came from.

Pretty much, TOYOTA builds the car (probably as plain as posssible) sells it to Gulf states, then they add all their goodies and mark it up from there.

If you buy a Toyota in the southwest region, you'll notice two prices on the manroney sticker...base and port installed MSRP
Old 03-17-08, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Get rid of the middleman and thats thousands of jobs lost, in an already awful market.

Old 03-17-08, 08:45 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't dealerships typically make money off of service and not sales anyway?
Old 03-17-08, 09:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a problem not just for Toyota, but for automakers in the States. The dealer system in the US needs to be overhauled.
Old 03-17-08, 09:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About Servco, from what i understand, thou i might be wrong, they deal direct with japan. Now what does that mean in this situation? i dunno

Quick Reply: Dealers File Suit Against Toyota