Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Acura RL Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 06:07 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
haha yeah, some people need to dig on history
It actually isn't just history, but present as well. The RL is still being marketed as the Honda Legend outside North America even today.
Old 03-19-08, 07:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is definitely quite a lot of untapped potential for the fmr Acura Legend, IMO...it was the car which launched the brand, and the first Japanese branded luxury car for the US. I think that a V8 option is a good start.

It could work out for Acura to shift into a TSX/TL/RL clear tiered system like the C/E/S, 3/5/7, and IS/GS/LS, whereas now the 3 vehicles are much closer to one another.

However, it strikes me that there is a lot more flexibility at the top end for Acura to define their flagship. Aiming straight for LS/S-Class territory may be a leap too far, despite what their PR claims indicate of being "Tier 1 in 5 years" etc. OTOH, if Honda puts good emphasis on technology, styling, etc., they could conceivably pull off a winner.

That said, I more realistically still see a V6 powered Acura flagship sedan, larger, and with a V8 option. It could be a similar chart-topper as Infiniti's M, Lincoln's MKS, etc. The Acura flagship could straddle the midsize price range while being somewhat larger than the norm and a bit pricier; not starting at the 70K territory but potentially reaching there with options.

The new TSX still has a 4-cylinder engine, so I think Acura is not going to lose the value luxury card. However I question Acura's direction to drop touchscreens; the new TSX is stated here: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...close-tsx.html

"For 2009, Acura has replaced the TSX's touch-screen navigation system with a more-in-vogue ****-based system that uses a large dial in the middle of the dash to control navigation functions."

It used to be the TSX/TL that had the touchscreen, now the TSX joins the RL and the rest of the lineup in having a dash ****. I wish that weren't the case. Acura is now the Japanese luxe make with ***** only; Infiniti offers both touch and ****, Lexus uses touch. I question the idea of the **** 'in vogue.'

Finally, I do think the 'RL' moniker can be replaced. But I'm not sure by what.
Old 03-20-08, 01:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

BTW the IS300 is every bit as sporty as the RSX-S. It just loses in horsepower and creature comfort when compared to the 3. Have you driven one?
Of course I have driven all 3 of them. Only drove the IS300 on a few occasions, but had a lot of seat time in the RSX-S as my brother in law owned one, and also I own an E36 and still own an E46 so I have a lot of seat time in those. I also got to use my brother in laws 05 TSX for an entire weekend as well. Sales figures aside, none of those cars come close to matching a 3 series. I guess you are right that the IS300 may have been intended to go up against the 3, but it sure matched up better with the RSX-S and even the TSX if that car were available at the same time.

As for the RL, I do think it matches up well against the 5/and GS, just not in actual sales.
Old 03-20-08, 04:45 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowCat
It's nothing like crappy Accord and TL.
We all know the Accord is no RL but calling the Accord crappy? Even at half the price of an RL, the Accord is one of the highest precision crafted automobiles built today and has always been the benchmark to which all others cars in its class are compared. IMO, an EX-V6 Accord is 9/10's of an RL for 20k less.
Old 03-20-08, 04:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
We all know the Accord is no RL but calling the Accord crappy? Even at half the price of an RL, the Accord is one of the highest precision crafted automobiles built today and has always been the benchmark to which all others cars in its class are compared. IMO, an EX-V6 Accord is 9/10's of an RL for 20k less.
I partially agree. I wouldn't call the Accord crappy ever. I also don't think the Accord (Even the latest one) is near 9/10s the current RL. I would say maybe 6/10 on my scale. When I drove the RL I was very impressed with it. Handling is very neutral and RWD like, and interior fit, finish and feel were IMHO better than the 06+ GS. Not as good as the new LS460, but very comparable and better in some ways than my 99 LS400 in terms of quality and comfort feel.

When I sat in and drove the new Accord, I was very disappointed. When the pictures first came out on the internet, I too along with many thought it looked very Acura like. When I checked it out in person I could tell it belong in the Honda class. Everything about the Accord looked good, but the entire fit, finish, and general feel of the car definitely felt a step down to even the TSX, and in drivability and over all quality and feel was nowhere near Acura RL level. At least for me.
Old 03-20-08, 12:08 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I partially agree. I wouldn't call the Accord crappy ever. I also don't think the Accord (Even the latest one) is near 9/10s the current RL. I would say maybe 6/10 on my scale. When I drove the RL I was very impressed with it. Handling is very neutral and RWD like, and interior fit, finish and feel were IMHO better than the 06+ GS. Not as good as the new LS460, but very comparable and better in some ways than my 99 LS400 in terms of quality and comfort feel.

When I sat in and drove the new Accord, I was very disappointed. When the pictures first came out on the internet, I too along with many thought it looked very Acura like. When I checked it out in person I could tell it belong in the Honda class. Everything about the Accord looked good, but the entire fit, finish, and general feel of the car definitely felt a step down to even the TSX, and in drivability and over all quality and feel was nowhere near Acura RL level. At least for me.
I'll give you that. I'll revise my statement to say 7/10's because the lack of AWD and slightly higher quality materials, fit, and finish.

Last edited by IS350jet; 03-20-08 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 12:23 PM
08mica
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$70K.

Not sure any Acura this side of an NSX-type vehicle is worth that.
Old 03-20-08, 02:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
exactly, they should bring back the "Legend" name as the new flagship and leave
the RL there.
Exactly...the legend must LIVE!
Old 03-20-08, 08:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know what this article is talking about but the new restyled 2009 RL has already been introduced (and talked about on CL).

Unfortunately, it takes a step in the wrong direction.

Here it is below so we're not going to see this "all new 2010 model". The facelifted '09 will probably go on for 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Acura RL Rumors-rl.jpg  
Old 03-20-08, 08:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

They said they'll debut it in mid-2010, not necessarily on sale then. Which make sense because they can probably release it in early/mid 2011 as a 2012 model. It'll be 3 years from now. Can't really make a new V8 engine and chassis within a year.
Old 03-21-08, 12:48 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Unless Acura really doesn't have a new RL being designed right now, I think a 2010 release is possible. Acura used be be very good at bringing out the new generation 4-5 years. If anything, a 2010 as a 2011 model is very possible.
Old 03-21-08, 04:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Unless Acura really doesn't have a new RL being designed right now, I think a 2010 release is possible. Acura used be be very good at bringing out the new generation 4-5 years. If anything, a 2010 as a 2011 model is very possible.
But they're are not going to run the 2009 model I posted above for only a year or two. The earliest we'll see an all new RL is the 2012 model year. Otherwise, Acura wouldn't have completely restyled the front and rear of the current RL, they would've just waited another year for an all new one.
Old 03-21-08, 04:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
But they're are not going to run the 2009 model I posted above for only a year or two. The earliest we'll see an all new RL is the 2012 model year. Otherwise, Acura wouldn't have completely restyled the front and rear of the current RL, they would've just waited another year for an all new one.
It is not new though, just a refresh. The mid year updated Legend ran for the last two years only (94-95). The 1st and 2nd gen Integra mid update also ran the last two years. The TSX ran for 5 years. Not saying all their models of late have been replaced on a timely manner, but the fact that they did do a major cosmetic update shows me that the know the model run is coming to an end and need to spruce up sales until they get the new gen out. In most cases, the major cosmetic updates are the last effort to bide time before the new model comes out.
Old 03-21-08, 11:21 AM
LexFather

You guys also believe in the tooth fairy, unicorns and Star Wars REALLY will happen.

Seriously, I can take your same posts today, match them with posts from 5-10 years ago and you are singing the same old tired song.

Stop reasoning/rationalizing/defending and let it go. Take a deep breathe, drink some prune juice, let the brand go.

They don't seem to care about you, so why care about them?

Lexus when they have failed or done poorly, doesn't send us the next that is identical to the last, or WORSE than the last so it can FAIL again.

Look at the GS. First gen was 6 cylinder only, big and long an failed. Did they send us another GS with only a 6 cylinder and some marketing B.S? NOPE. THey brought the 2GS which shocked the segment and now the 3GS has evolved with Hybrids, 8 speed autos, etc.

Lets look at the IS 300. Again, after the first couple years, a sales miss. Did Lexus send us the IS 250 only, and then say "oh, its truly better than the IS 300" and lie to us? HELL NO. We got the IS 250, IS 300 in the middle east, IS 220d in Europe, IS 350 most everywhere and now IS-F.

In Comparison, Acura sends us basically dud after dud b/c they know Honda fanbois will buy them irregardless once the marketing spin is expceptional.

See the difference? Its actually pretty easily spelled out over the past 18 years.

Acura is full of crap. They blamed the RSX for image issues and it offers a 4 clinder. What do thaty do after it? Bring us a 4 cylinder TSX, a 4 cylinder SUV (with turbo) and Canada has a Civic rebadge.

Good day to you all!

Old 03-21-08, 11:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They blamed the RSX for image issues and it offers a 4 clinder. What do thaty do after it? Bring us a 4 cylinder TSX, a 4 cylinder SUV (with turbo) and Canada has a Civic rebadge.

Good day to you all!
I agree completely. Honda over all these years hasn't learn much and continues with their stubborn and ignorant attitude. Will they change? That remains to be seen.

Quick Reply: 2010 Acura RL Rumors