Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does Lexus have no Z4 / SLK / TT competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 02:30 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus doesn't need a competitor to those models. I'd rather see Lexus bring out more coupes before they bring out a convertible.
Old 03-20-08, 07:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
well the one thing you can always count on toyota doing, is making a car even if it doesnt sell good. as for lexus i think they want to keep selling boring cars, cars that everyone will like since it's profitable, for them who cares if some people think they make boring cars. with parent company toyota heck bent on auto-world domination, even if the reliability and and build quality goes down the drain. Oh wait maybe i shouldn't have said that, before my post mysteriously disappears.
I don't think your posts will mysteriously disappear.

However, I see some fault to your thinking.

Toyota keeps their boring cars because it sells to the masses. Their least selling (but not least popular) vehicles such as the Supra, MR2, and Celica were axed because of minimal profitability and poor resale figures.

Toyota is not about pleasing small groups of enthusiasts. Toyota knows about pleasing the masses. That isn't boring -- that's Business...
Old 03-21-08, 02:48 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I've always wondered about this. You'd think it's about time they'd think about it. Seems to me that this is a very profitable market segment and a great way of attracting younger customers to the brand and hopefully getting them hooked.

So why is Lexus refusing to enter this potentially prosperous-for-them market?
I've always wondered about this as well, and, back in July 2006 I wrote this Front Page article for the my.IS website:
http://my.is/forums/f41/what-should-...adster-299320/
Old 03-22-08, 02:32 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That isn't boring -- that's Business...
Too true...
Old 03-22-08, 03:30 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Lexus doesn't need a competitor to those models. I'd rather see Lexus bring out more coupes before they bring out a convertible.
I agree. I'd rather see them bring back a 2+2 coupe or even a 2-seater GT than introduce a roadster (and these would both be direct underlings to the halo LF-A), although I sure wouldn't complain with any of these options presented.
Old 03-22-08, 05:56 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When I park my SC430 next to a Sky/Solstace, Miata, TT, S2000 etc. my car does seem BIG. It's not a little toss-around-the-twisty-bits kind of car but, I don't Lexus intended it to be.

From what I've seen of sales figures, I think the SC430 is in the 1000 units/month area...I think they have sold like 10-12K of them each year it's been out. I don't know if Lexus wanted to/could afford to produce another low-production model.

However, I REALLY like the SC430. While it's not as tossable as say a Miata, it holds up very well as a daily driver in the real world. The trunk space is very usable (if you don't fold the top down). If you do fold the top down, there's plenty of storage space in the leather-clad parcel shelf that the owner's manual refers to as the "back seat". Marketing aside, it's a 2-seater. I didn't buy it as anything but.

I have a friend with an S2000. Wow, what a fun car to drive/ride in! But, it HAS to be your second car. There's not even enough room in the trunk for a weekend bag...let alone luggage for 2.

I can understand why Lexus wouldn't want to get into the "screw practicality" car market...it's very niche.

I also don't think they produce "boring cars", I think they do their best to produce cars that will sell. They're a corporation with stockholders. They're a business; and, at the end of the day, their ultimate goal has to be to sell cars and make money.
Old 03-22-08, 08:35 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard a rumor from one of the guys at the Toyota plant that there is doubt of any Supra being produced until an alternate fuel is put out...like Hydrogen. Toyota thinks the market is low for the supra the way gasoline prices are.
Old 03-23-08, 06:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I've always wondered about this. You'd think it's about time they'd think about it. Seems to me that this is a very profitable market segment and a great way of attracting younger customers to the brand and hopefully getting them hooked.

So why is Lexus refusing to enter this potentially prosperous-for-them market?
Well a lot of the reason the Germans did it was b/c, well one did it. So the other 2 have to do it then. Also PORSCHE with the Boxster should be mentioned here.

Lexus product planners are very picky. The SC 430 started out selling its entire run 12k then 10k of cars each year. It is already a small Convert.

Lexus of course would use some current platform for this car. I don't think they have one small enough. The IS is based off the GS. The SC is based off the old GS.

I do agree, it would be GREAT to have one but honestly, how much younger people will it bring? Z4/SLK/TT/Boxster cars are EXPENSIVE, these are not 30k cars. So you have to have $$$$ to buy it, which means, you will be older.

Maybe next go round, there are different versions of the SC. I just don't see Lexus entering this limited sales/image segment.

Old 03-24-08, 12:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Ultimately, it's not profitable at all.

It helps with brand image (which the Germans understand); but it costs a lot of money to design and produce a sport-oriented vehicle, to market and advertise, and to justify a little-functional car that costs more to insure, with little functionality such as transporting multiple people or hauling luggage/items.
lexus/toyaota has money to burn and money to invest in its image for the future buyers