Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW of Lincoln refuses to honor EBAY auction winner

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 07:33 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the guy will test-drive a 335i, he may not want the M3 in the first place. He may come to the conclusion, like me, that the 335i, dollar-for-dollar, is a better buy. It gives almost M performance and handling for many thousands of dollars less. I recently reviewed one, brand-new, for 47K.
Well the M3 is the new kid on the block plus some people rather have the V8 over the TT Inline 6.
Old 03-24-08, 07:47 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is he taking someone like a lawyer with him to the dealer tomorrow? Better to be safe than sorry...
Old 03-24-08, 08:16 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the guy will test-drive a 335i, he may not want the M3 in the first place. He may come to the conclusion, like me, that the 335i, dollar-for-dollar, is a better buy. It gives almost M performance and handling for many thousands of dollars less. I recently reviewed one, brand-new, for 47K.
Some people like 335i, some people like M3. The exclusivity, the different front end of the M3 and the V8 engines are the reasons enough for some people to choose it over 335i sedan.
Old 03-26-08, 05:04 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Updates

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/26/n...om-bmw-dealer/

"Ken Tanisaka's battle to get his M3 sedan from BMW of Lincoln, Nebraska is not over, despite encouraging words posted by Ken himself on Monday. While the embattled eBay winner had reported that he would be sold the brand new M3 sedan for his winning bid of $60,000, there were "special conditions" that had yet to be discussed. Having spoken with the dealership now, as well as retained his own attorney who specializes in internet law, Ken has revealed what the conditions are.

First, the dealership asked that the car could not be sold for a number of years. How that has anything to do with the dealership, other than them not wanting Ken to profit from their mistake, is beyond us. Ken's lawyer got this condition removed, thankfully. The second condition is that Ken would be asked to help defuse the internet firestorm that began after he posted on M3post.com about this situation. Ken did just that when he posted on Monday that things were moving in a positive direction, prompting us to remark that we can call off the hounds now. Apparently the hounds need to be unleashed again until this dealership gets it.

Ryan Mathis, the sales manager for Husker Auto Group of which BMW of Lincoln is a part, was recently quoted in an article about the

situation saying, "These bloggers out there, they have lots of time on their hands to do this." Ken shoots back in his latest post, "Did it ever occur to the dealership that they created a situation that compelled complete strangers to MAKE time?" Clearly there are many people out there who identify with getting screwed by a dealership, hence the outpouring of support and demands for internet justice, but until BMW of Lincoln sells the M3 sedan to Ken with NO strings attached, this isn't going to end. Seriously, BMW of North America, can we get a little help here? Thanks for the tip, everyone!"

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/26/u...inners-plight/

"We apologize for yet another update on the saga of Ken Tanisaka and his efforts to wrench a fairly won BMW M3 sedan from the iron grip of BMW of Lincoln, Nebraska, but this story just keeps rolling on providing new and interesting twists by the hour.

Ken came this close to receiving the Bimmer today after his lawyer negotiated away the conditions that were demanded by the dealership. The first was that he not sell the car for two years, and the second was that he somehow "control the press" and end the onslaught of communiques sent to the dealership by phone, fax, email and flaming bags of pooh. (We're kidding on that last one. No one send flaming bags of pooh to BMW of Lincoln. Seriously.) After the lawyers wrangled for a bit, Ken was instructed to call BMW of Lincoln today and arrange his deposit over the phone by a certain time, but according to our distressed interlocutor, was instead lectured by the General Manager, one Fil Cataniam, for failing to stop the press from contacting the dealership. He refused to take Ken's credit card info over the phone, in effect reneging on the resolution that had previously been reached by the lawyers.

Ken's lawyer has now drafted a letter to BMW of North America (check it out after the jump) informing the big brand of what's been going on and simply asking for help. It must be noted that BMW NA likely does not have any jurisdiction here, as dealers usually operate on a very long leash from the mothership. Still, what has become a PR nightmare for this particular dealership could easily leave a bad taste in the mouth of many potential BMW customers. Perhaps it would behoove BMW proper to get this guy his M3 sedan prompto and slap the wrists of these knuckleheads in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Adding yet another facet to this gem of a story is news from Ken that other BMW dealers have contacted him offering great deals on an M3! Man, there must not be much brotherhood among BMW dealers. Ken states that rather than getting a different M3 and letting this dealership off the hook, he'd like to see BMW of Lincoln live up to its obligation."

Here are some of the scums involved:

http://www.huskerbmw.com/index.cfm?action=staff

"Hello, my name is Fil Catania, General Manager of BMW of Lincoln. I am very unprofessional, as much as I am too cool, to wear a tie and/or properly button up my shirt like the rest of my shady underlings for my official photo. Moreover, despite how much I gouge my loyal customers, I still cannot allocate enough money to get a decent, fashionably current haircut."

Department: Vehicle Sales

Ryan Mathis: Vehicle Sales Manager
Department: Vehicle Sales

Who would ever buy a car from such scums??? LOL

Last edited by xknowonex; 03-26-08 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 05:09 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The plot thickens:

Originally Posted by Michael Maledon
I represent Husker Auto Group. Much of the information that has been publicized and reported on to date is wholly without merit.

Husker Auto Group erred in its eBay listing by not setting an appropriate reserve on the vehicle. General manager Fil Catania was contacted by Ken Tanisaka late last Friday informing him of the auction results. Mr. Catania asked Mr. Tanisaka to have the weekend to gather the facts and promised to get back to Mr. Tanisaka the following Monday. (Recall this was Easter weekend. Mr. Catania contacted me over the weekend, but I was not able to return his call until Monday morning.) On Monday, Mr. Catania called Mr. Tanisaka and explained that although the dealership’s eBay listing was in error, the dealership would nevertheless consummate the transaction at the price bid by Mr. Tanisaka.

Between Monday and today, Mr. Catania has repeatedly attempted to work cooperatively with Mr. Tanisaka to consummate the transaction. Husker has agreed to allow Mr. Tanisaka additional time to secure financing, and has only requested the minimum deposit of $1,000. (A clearly stated condition of the auction was that the buyer must deposit $1000 to $5,000, which must be received by Husker within 24 hours.)

It is true that Husker asked Mr. Tanisaka to post a comment on this site that would set the record straight. While it may or may not have been Mr. Tanisaka’s intent, the dealership and its employees have been unfairly subject to slander, threats, intimidation, malicious tampering of personal property, harassment etc. Although Mr. Tanisaka refused to correct the misinformation that has been widely circulating, Husker Auto Group nevertheless confirmed to Mr. Tanisaka its willingness to consummate the transaction at the price he bid.

Mr. Tanisaka has still not completed the necessary paperwork to purchase the vehicle. In fact, he has indicated his refusal to speak with anyone at the dealership.

Based on the gamesmanship being played by Mr. Tanisaka, it has become increasingly apparent that Mr. Tanisaka is more out for the publicity than to buy a BMW.

Of course, Husker will continue to do everything reasonably possible to satisfy Mr. Tanisaka if he truly intends to purchase this vehicle.

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
Old 03-27-08, 05:43 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow this is great, can't wait to see the final outcome.
Old 03-27-08, 06:51 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I am sure some heads will roll at this dealership once the dust settles.
Old 03-27-08, 10:05 AM
kit cat

thats ridiculous that they are selling under conditions, I'd throw a flaming bag of poop if i were him.
Old 03-27-08, 10:41 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

This is all sounding a bit odd to me. Perhaps an internet uban legend?
Old 03-27-08, 10:48 AM
kit cat

watch it end up being a marketing scam by the dealer.
Old 03-27-08, 11:15 AM
jlee2070
Driver School Candidate

But there is this clause in the listing "WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL ANY BIDS AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON."

So I think they legally have an out...
Old 03-27-08, 11:29 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlee2070
But there is this clause in the listing "WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL ANY BIDS AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON."

So I think they legally have an out...
But they did not cancel any bid did they? The auction ended with a winning bid standing. A binding contract was thus formed.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-27-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 12:38 PM
jlee2070
Driver School Candidate

Unless the winning bid is still considered a "bid"...

I'm not on the side of the dealer and think they are being weasels...
Old 03-27-08, 12:40 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

eBay allows cancelling a bid only before the auction ends, not after. Unless by "cancelling a bid" they mean to simply dishonor it.
Old 03-27-08, 12:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not according to ebay. The winning bid is the sale price unless you had set a reserve price and that winning bid did not meet the reserve. In this case, there was no reserve so the winning bid is no longer just a bid. That is how proxy bidding auctions work. The guy could have put his bid in for $80K for all we know, but the final price came out to $60K, so under ebay rules and agreement that is the sale price.

The problem is nobody takes the ebay contract seriously. What are the chances of someone actually going the full 10 yards with a lawyer for an ebay auction? People think the worse that can happen is their ebay account gets banned and they just create a new one.

Quick Reply: BMW of Lincoln refuses to honor EBAY auction winner